39 replies to this topic

#31 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 03:34 AM

Craig, have you considered making a bear resistant container that’s designed less for backpacking and more for vehicle-based camping? I’m thinking of something larger than I’d want to use for backpacking, not quite as bulky as a Yeti cooler, but it wouldn’t need to be super-light. Maybe stackable containers that would pack efficiently into a camper?

#32 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 23 August 2023 - 03:43 AM

Craig, have you considered making a bear resistant container that’s designed less for backpacking and more for vehicle-based camping? I’m thinking of something larger than I’d want to use for backpacking, not quite as bulky as a Yeti cooler, but it wouldn’t need to be super-light. Maybe stackable containers that would pack efficiently into a camper?

+1 

#33 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 23 August 2023 - 06:01 AM

Dipodomys, et. al., 

Our patented canister designs employ carbon fiber and custom metal end caps. The purpose is to provide strength while still being quite lightweight.  INdeed they are the lightest canisters for their size.   As a result they are expensive to produce.

However, we could design and manufacture something heavier that would be cheaper.  More weight is not a winner for backpacking but maybe for campers it would work.  There are already manufacturers of heavier and larger Bear resistant canisters for horse packing and rafting outfitters so we would probably need to innovate something in order to compete.  Also the product development process takes time.  I'll talk to my partners and see what they think.

Thanks for asking.

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#34 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 01:04 PM

Craig, your canisters look great! I definitely want one for backpacking, and while I appreciate your care not to use this site to promote your business, I think it's appropriate for me to link your website in the context of this thread.

I appreciate you pointing me in the direction of bear resistant dry boxes made for rafting, as that's getting me closer to what I want for the camper. In particular, the IGBC certified dry boxes from Mad Cow Metal Works look like they'll probably work for me. I still need to think through whether another cooler might be a better option due to versatility, though.

In terms of innovations that are lacking in existing products, I'd be happy to help brainstorm. Here are some things that come quickly to mind...

Internal organization, i.e. compartmentalization of some sort. Options for accomplishing this could be inexpensive to produce while adding a lot of value to the product. There seem to be some things available, along the lines of a tray, but there's definitely room for innovation there.

Stackability/lashing. I like to keep the large items in my camper secured in a manner that makes efficient use of space while preventing shifting during rough transit. To this end, I'd love to have a two or three dry boxes that stack, i.e. the base of one nests into the top of the lid of another so that it won't slide off. Additionally, I'd like to secure them to each other and to the floor and a vertical surface with cam straps. I don't think that would necessitate specific attachment points, but it might be worth thinking out where straps would be effective in the design.

Locking. Many bear resistant containers require locking with a key. I'd prefer a keyless lock as I'm generally not concerned with humans removing the contents and keys are just more stuff to deal with and potentially misplace.

#35 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 23 August 2023 - 04:40 PM

Dipodomys,

I have not looked at the pricing of the outfitter Bear resistant boxes in awhile. It appears that they have also gotten pricey.

For general storage of gear, containers like Aluminum Zarges boxes are nice. They stack and are available in many sizes. We use them to ship our spaceborne instrument calibration equipment in. However, I am not at all confident that they would be Bear resistant.

Well I just checked the IGBC list and the Zarges boxes are on it!

https://zargesusa.com/

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 24 August 2023 - 12:32 AM.

#36 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 07:38 PM

Those do look good. Thanks!

#37 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 24 August 2023 - 02:32 PM

but even an unsuccessful effort could be highly inconvenient and expensive.

I understand. I also, after 50 years of camping and 30 years of living in bear habitat have come to the understanding that they want easy pickings.* I use a bear canister when backpacking because I don't have a vehicle but I would think that a cooler left outside, even a lockable one, could be considered an unnecessary attractant. I've camped in Yellowstone - hard sided camper because they don't allow pop-ups in some campgrounds - and rangers made the rounds every evening. You could not leave anything outside the vehicle. 

* example: neighbors above me leaving dog food outside, squatters down the hill leaving everything outside, bears just walked past my fenced garden, orchard and garbage cans in a  shed

p.s.s. - maybe I have just been both stupid and lucky in running bears off in several situations but I see video of people abandoning their full picnic table and have heard stories from backpackers who cowered silently in their tent and watched a bear take down their (badly hung) food and I can't help but think how they are contributing to the problem. If you are not in your camper or campsite that is a different problem but we all need to make ourselves and our stuff difficult and perhaps uncomfortable for a bear to obtain. 

p.s.s.s. - I just remembered this: cabin in Yosemite Village, mom frying chicken with the kitchen door open for ventilation, bear appears on porch, mom shoos it off with a dish towel - I guess my luck/stupidity is genetic

Edited by teledork, 24 August 2023 - 04:35 PM.

#38 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 August 2023 - 06:35 PM

Never try to take food away from a Bear.  Ever!

They can kill you.  People have been badly injured and some killed trying to fight a Bear. 

Yeah, some people have successfully fought off a Bear.  Some people have survived falling out of a plane but that is not an argument to give it a go. 

;-)

Once they have your food, it is theirs even if your trip is over as a result.

Edited by ckent323, 24 August 2023 - 06:36 PM.

#39 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 August 2023 - 12:09 AM

Yup, this is what we have taught for years. Say it over and over and over again.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#40 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:29 PM

They can kill you.  People have been badly injured and some killed trying to fight a Bear. 

Yeah, some people have successfully fought off a Bear.  Some people have survived falling out of a plane but that is not an argument to give it a go. 

;-)

Very sound advice.You cal always buy more food,but try that if your dead.Not so much.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users