• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 31 May 2023 - 12:43 AM

We use hot water from the water heater only when we've had showers that afternoon. Otherwise we heat some water on the stove while we eat. If we have more than a minimal amount of dishes, I do them outside and use the shower wand to rinse them after washing in a pan. Minimal amounts are rinsed in the sink inside.

Alan

#12 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 12:59 AM

Interesting, seems to be a common thread with the heating water on the stove, theory. Is this because the water is hotter (cuts grease quicker/better)? Or the waste of water from the "waiting for it to get hot" thing? My guess is both.

#13 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:24 AM

Heating only what I need.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:33 AM

Interesting, seems to be a common thread with the heating water on the stove, theory. Is this because the water is hotter (cuts grease quicker/better)? Or the waste of water from the "waiting for it to get hot" thing? My guess is both.

For me it started with a rotten egg smell in the hot water, accompanied by a worse taste.  I leave the blasted things on bypass.

I am going to be tested, however.  The new to me travel trailer has a Truma instant.   I may change my mind.

I am haunted by waters

#15 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 01:47 AM

Hot water helps the cleaning process (i.e. moving the dirt from the object being cleaned to the water) because it can dissolve the dirt faster and break strong bonds (up to a limit, of course) of dirt with the item being washed.

It is worth mentioning that between the detergent and the hot water, the detergent contributes more to the dissolution of dirt in the water than does hot water alone (that is the same reason it is better to wash your hands with soap and water than with water alone). However, for optimal results, using both detergent and hot water will clean better (and faster).

The detergent (or soap) is actually what is called a surfactant which are chemical compounds that decrease the surface tension or interfacial tension between two liquids, a liquid and a gas, or a liquid and a solid.

SPtqC.jpg

Not to be overlooked is the action of scrubbing which greatly assists in the removal of the oils and dirt by exposing more of the surfaces of the molecules allowing the surfactants to work faster.

I hope this is helpful.

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:01 AM

No reason to carry the extra weight - and maintenance, possible problems - of a water heater around all the time. Old time hiker and backpacker's approach. "You watch the ounces and the pounds take care of themselves."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:39 AM

This weekend I fired up the water heater. More days plus adding my part of the group cook I had enough dirty dishes to justify it. Maintenance on my water heater has consisted of replacing the anode. It is getting harder to fire up as it ages. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:12 PM

I avoid "KP" as much as possible, sometimes to the point of using paper plates. I know, I know... My approach to "hardware" cleanup is influenced by my Scouting days where simplicity and speed were needed. Pots and/or pans get a quick wipe and a spritz of Dawn Powerwash if necessary, another wipe, and then a quick rinse, maybe with warm water if I've heated extra. My meals are kept as simple as possible with the intent of keeping cleanup equally easy. I still eat well, but nothing fancy requiring lots of equipment/cleanup.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 June 2023 - 02:03 AM

Ok, Imma gunna partially retract my thoughts on water heaters.  Our new to us travel trailer has a Truma instant WH, and I like it.  Turn it on, wait 30 seconds or so, and open the valve.  You get hot water in very short order.  Very little wasted water.

… but, I still feel the same about the WHs with tanks.

I am haunted by waters

#20 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 10 June 2023 - 02:28 AM

Ok, Imma gunna partially retract my thoughts on water heaters.  Our new to us travel trailer has a Truma instant WH, and I like it.  Turn it on, wait 30 seconds or so, and open the valve.  You get hot water in very short order.  Very little wasted water.

… but, I still feel the same about the WHs with tanks.

Did I miss the posting that you showed pictures of the new to you trailer?  ;)

The Truma instant WH sounds like a advantage over waiting 20-30 minutes for the tank to reach temperature.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users