21 replies to this topic

#11 CreekRob

CreekRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 09:46 PM

IIRC 3.2mm x-section (minus insulation) would be about 8 gauge. I also think FWC used to use 10AWG wire in pre-lithium installs. 10AWG could do 30A, but you need to check the circuit protection too. I might want to go bigger, as Jack notes. Good opportunity to make sure everything is ship shape.

And put the DCDC in the camper. Doesn't it do BT? if that's so you're paying for that feature and odds are you'll be checking it in the camper anyway.

I don't know if you've settled on that Victron, but a benefit of the Kisae or Redarc DCDC units is that they incorporate a solar controller, which can be handy if you every want to incorporate solar.

#12 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 20 August 2023 - 10:28 PM

I am replacing the 10 gauge wire between truck and Orion DC to DC charger. I installed a 30 amp fuse near the truck battery and another just before the charger in the camper. The new line is 6 gauge. Currently there is 8 gauge wire and 30 amp fuse between the Orion charger and house battery. Should I replace that with 6 gauge wire and another 30 amp fuse?

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 August 2023 - 11:41 PM

I am replacing the 10 gauge wire between truck and Orion DC to DC charger. I installed a 30 amp fuse near the truck battery and another just before the charger in the camper. The new line is 6 gauge. Currently there is 8 gauge wire and 30 amp fuse between the Orion charger and house battery. Should I replace that with 6 gauge wire and another 30 amp fuse?

How long is that section of 6g between the Orion and the house battery?

#14 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 21 August 2023 - 12:45 AM

Only a foot. I really appreciate your information Vic. It has really helped me take this project on. 

8 gauge between house and Orion new 6 gauge between truck and Orion.

Edited by Edgewood, 21 August 2023 - 02:18 AM.

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 03:45 PM

a foot?  no need to change the wire.  No need for a fuse on that short section either.

You are most welcome.... keep asking questions!

#16 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 August 2023 - 12:51 AM

The Orion 12/12-30 has an output of 30 amps, but it will draw 35 amps or so from the truck during bulk charging. You may find you need to increase the fuse size from the 30 amps you mentioned.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#17 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 22 August 2023 - 01:17 AM

Thanks Jon. I actually used a Blue Sea System 7182 40 amp fuse that was mentioned earlier. I put another one just before the house battery. I was admiring my cable work today and noticed that I completly bypassed the fuse. GRRR.  

I now just need to install a Anderson plug mount in the truck bed to accept the new Anderson plug.

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 03:22 AM

oh, and another reason to stick to 6g inside is that I believe the largest size cable that Victron gear will accept is 6awg.

#19 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 August 2023 - 04:02 AM

My electronics love big AWG.

Shocking I know.

,)
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 03:13 PM

My electronics love big AWG.

Shocking I know.

,)

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic