27 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

I've never been to Yosemite and I'm wondering if October would be a good time to go to avoid the crowds? Anyone been this time of year?

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

I've never been to Yosemite and I'm wondering if October would be a good time to go to avoid the crowds? Anyone been this time of year?

Leaving tomorrow and will be there probably on the 6th or 7th for a couple days... No real plan.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

I'd imagine there will still be crowds but not hellish like Summer. When I bought my camper up in Merced a couple of years ago it was early November and we went straight to Yosemite that night, it was late and I camped up above Yosemite on the Tioga Pass to avoid the crowds (was also worried there would be no sites available so late in the day), when we went down into the valley the following day there were plenty of sites and it was fairly mellow. I'd roll the bones, there are plenty of options if the valley sites are packed.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:32 PM

Yosemite is one of those "MUST SEE" places for sure.

You should be able to book a camp site on line, or get sites there (I would think).

The weather might be cool at night, but the days should be perfect !

The views are breathtaking.

It is an AWESOME time of year to go.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5.JPG
  • DSC03026.JPG
  • 9.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:13 AM

And if the pass is still open, which it should be, going over to 395 and up past Mono Lake and Bridgeport is absolutely gorgeous if you like golden aspen. October is the perfect month to go to Yosemite. There may not be water in Yosemite falls or Bridalveil, but hike back to Vernal and Nevada and there will surely be water. Yes, there will be people, but not crowds. The shuttle buses run on a limited schedule, so you might have to wait longer if you are relying on them to get around the Valley (which a responsible tourist should do, they are far more fuel efficient and quieter)

FYI - the farther back you go in Upper Pines campground, the shadier it will be because of Glacier Point, but the shuttle stop at Happy Isles is right there. North Pines is close to the stables which has odor issues, less so in the cooler weather. Lower Pines is my favorite, but there are few sites. Good luck!
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#6 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:25 AM

Capt. L ...

I made a trip to Yosemite last year in the begining of Oct. Had a few days of rain but the rest of my time their was great. Let me know if your heading that way, I might be able to break loose for a couple of days. Yosemite is one of my all time favorite places.

marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#7 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:55 AM

Capt. L ...

I made a trip to Yosemite last year in the begining of Oct. Had a few days of rain but the rest of my time their was great. Let me know if your heading that way, I might be able to break loose for a couple of days. Yosemite is one of my all time favorite places.

marc

Let me know when you can go. I have a couple other obligations in October I need to fit in too so if you could tell me soon I may be able to make it happen.

#8 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:08 AM

Let me know when you can go. I have a couple other obligations in October I need to fit in too so if you could tell me soon I may be able to make it happen.

Sounds good. Should know how OCT. is shaping up in a couple of days. Will keep you posted.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Haven't been in a few years. Yosemite is one of those places where you really want to use the bear boxes. Don't tempt fate there. I wonder if the cables will still we up on half dome? I still need to do that.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

I would think the crowds would very low, at that time of the year the river and falls are running a little slow. If you go do the hike to Vernal and Navada falls really cool but all of Yosemite is pretty cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users