• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2023 - 03:24 AM

Looking to update my truck. I have a Hawk side dinette. Considering the Ford F150 or the Ram 1500. Lots of info on the Ford, but not so much on the Ram. If you have a Ram 1500, I would like to hear from you on what you have done to beef up the suspension and what it cost. I have heard that the Ram is more difficult to beef up because of the coil springs. I will be putting on "E" rated tires. The Hawk will be on full time.

Thank you.

#2 m5040

m5040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 22 August 2023 - 10:53 AM

A properly ordered RAM will have factory air ride suspension that will adjust to any legal (and beyond) load and keep the truck level and safe without aftermarket junk scabbed in.

It sounds like a lot of people add air bags to F150, it would be the same for a RAM 1500 if you don't like the reaction to the coil spring rate.  Or they sell heavier coil springs.

#3 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 August 2023 - 06:11 PM

Or get a 3/4 ton truck and don't attempt to use aftermarket parts to turn a 1/2 ton into a 3/4 ton.

#4 CreekRob

CreekRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 08:17 PM

Looking to update my truck. I have a Hawk side dinette. Considering the Ford F150 or the Ram 1500. Lots of info on the Ford, but not so much on the Ram. If you have a Ram 1500, I would like to hear from you on what you have done to beef up the suspension and what it cost. I have heard that the Ram is more difficult to beef up because of the coil springs. I will be putting on "E" rated tires. The Hawk will be on full time.

Thank you.

I was recently buying a Ram truck. Going back through some of my bookmarks I saw the GVWR of a mid level 1500 as 6900#, so minus curb weight of about 5000 and you get 1900. https://www.edwardsc...l: 5,102 pounds

I think you can get up to about 2300 if you go 4x2, the lighweight 3.6L engine, and maybe the lightest trim.

So I passed and got a 2500. GVWR is 10k, payload 3340. That's with the gas hemi, 4x4. https://www.ramtruck...BWBK3Z6SvN9a1h

I just weighed my Hawk side dinette, with it kitted out for one, and without some extraneous equipment I need to take on some trips. It was 4300 front, 4800 rear. That's without shower, hot water heater, only a couple of traction boards, and lithium batteries. So I've got basically 1000# to play with.

But as you can see you'd probably be pushing up against the limit with a 1500. And I don't see the advantage of the lighter duty truck if you're keeping the camper on full time.

Having come from a Ford (a couple of them, actually), and leafs, I do like the rear coils on the Ram. I have airbags for when I tow, but they are really necessary on the 2500. Truck handles great. And it scoots.

BTW, I did NOT get the air ride option. There are of course many opinions about it's worth and/or reliability, but it wasn't on the truck I got and I was buying off the lot. Most of the trouble I've seen folks complain about is in cold, and frankly I'm familiar with AirLift bags, so I was happy enough to just install those. And it does seem to leave it open for other suspension mods should I need them.

Edited by CreekRob, 22 August 2023 - 08:40 PM.

#5 Yonder37

Yonder37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 08:28 PM

If you can find an F-150 with the heavy-duty payload package (HDPP), that may be the best option for a half-ton truck with a FWC. Frame, springs, shocks, brakes, rear axle, wheels, and tires are all upgraded at the factory, and the GVWR (and payload) go up accordingly. I added Ride-Rite air bags to my HDPP as per FWC recommendation, but am not sure that this was actually necessary. 

My 2023 HDPP has a factory payload sticker of 2478 lbs, and that's with the supercrew cab, 4x4, and spray-on bedliner. I believe that even higher payloads, up to around the 2800-2900 lb range, are realistically possible without those options. The two HDPP engine options both provide ample power, even with the truck loaded (I have the 3.5L V6 with twin turbos, there is also a 5.0L V8).

The catch is that you probably won't find an F-150 with the HDPP. Mine was special ordered and took more than 4 months for delivery.

For a RAM 1500, I would simply ask FWC what they recommend. I worked with Mike Olds. My guess is that they will suggest air bags (as per post #2 above) and E-rated tires (which you are already adding as per post #1). Or go up to a 2500.

Edited by Yonder37, 22 August 2023 - 09:08 PM.

#6 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 23 August 2023 - 06:47 PM

I have a 1500 6cyl and a Hawk. It's got the 6 lugs so rated to 2200#  it's a 19 and have the camper on full time. When we load it for baja with bikes and kayaks it's at max maybe over but does fine. plenty of power, 17mpg  Airbags keep it level. I do need some better shocks in the back. It bounces a bit when going over dips and things. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users