• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 29 August 2023 - 06:32 PM

I'm considering meeting some friends at or near the Abert Rim Overlook to view the Annular Solar Eclipse this coming Oct 14th. It's practically dead center on the path. Maybe after the viewing drop down the east side to Plush and then over to check out The Glass House.

Having never been there I was hoping to get some feedback as to the conditions one might expect to see there mid October, to either rule it out or give it a thumbs up for a try. 

Is that too late in the year to be up there?

When does the snow usually hit that area?

Are the roads passable in the fall?

Is the best access off Hwy 140?

Is there cell service in the area and on the rim?

Thanks for any opinions or advice on the feasibility of this spot for camping and viewing the eclipse.

/2

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:05 PM

Road up to the overlook is very good from 140. Mid October should work well just watch the weather. Don't remember anything about cell service. I'd stay up there for the night sky. It is fantastic.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:44 PM

I'd stay up there for the night sky. It is fantastic.

We plan on getting there the night before for that very reason!

Thanks for the reassurance Monty, it was your wonderful account of the area that prompted me to consider it for the eclipse.

#4 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 30 August 2023 - 02:52 PM

Don't remember anything about cell service. 

I am trying to convince my traveling buddies that they need some sort of satellite messaging device so we can reliably meet up in the back country. They seem to believe that occasional cell coverage can get them by but, I'm a "wing it" kind of traveler and rarely know where I'll be stopping/camping until I'm in the general area and have had chance to look around for a quiet, out of the way spot.

Letting them know that they will be S.O.L. in getting the message as to where to meet using just a cell phone may go a long way in convincing them to upgrade their backcountry connectivity.

I see that Motorola has come out with what looks like a less expensive device with a lower monthly subscription. The Defy I believe. 

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 August 2023 - 03:35 PM

I see that Motorola has come out with what looks like a less expensive device with a lower monthly subscription. The Defy I believe. 

WTW member Old Crow reports on it here - Motorola Defy Satellite Link

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 30 August 2023 - 08:57 PM

Going to be in the Fruita UT area for the angular eclipse. Next April 8th will be in Texas for the Total Eclipse.

After going to Oregon for the full eclipse they are a must see.

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 31 August 2023 - 08:00 AM

There is spotty cell service near the Fish Lake campground. Remember that SMS texts will get thru when service is not consistent enough for voice. I believe there may be some cell service associated with the radio towers on the summit above Wildhorse lake.

The summit is apparently an emcomm site There are solar panel arrays and what appears to be quite a few propane tanks for winter power that are visible in satellite view

42.6358  --118.5766

43868 Steens Mountain Loop Ln

Princeton, OR

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 31 August 2023 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Paul!

There is spotty cell service near the Fish Lake campground.

#9 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 31 August 2023 - 10:27 PM

stop by the Pioneer Saloon in Paisley while there.  pretty good food, and usually have a decent beer selection.  its been for sale for awhile - but hope it sticks around.

Oregon

#10 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 31 August 2023 - 11:15 PM

stop by the Pioneer Saloon in Paisley while there.  pretty good food, and usually have a decent beer selection.  its been for sale for awhile - but hope it sticks around.

That's a bit out of the way for us but thanks for the suggestion. Never know when another adventure may take us in that direction!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users