18 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 September 2023 - 12:10 AM

stop by the Pioneer Saloon in Paisley while there.  pretty good food, and usually have a decent beer selection.  its been for sale for awhile - but hope it sticks around.

In scenic downtown Frenchglen, add the Frenchglen Hotel to the must visit for dining list.  The new proprietors set a wonderful table.

The ski3pins and I stopped in for a delightful dinner of a pork chop (smothered in a mushroom sauce) that covered the plate, a rice dish, and perfectly cooked vegetables. Desert was fresh baked peanut butter cookies and vanilla ice cream.  It was good enough to make me come untied.  

I am haunted by waters

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 September 2023 - 01:11 AM

stop by the Pioneer Saloon in Paisley while there.  pretty good food, and usually have a decent beer selection.  its been for sale for awhile - but hope it sticks around.

In scenic downtown Frenchglen, add the Frenchglen Hotel to the must visit for dining list.  The new proprietors set a wonderful table.

The ski3pins and I stopped in for a delightful dinner of a pork chop (smothered in a mushroom sauce) that covered the plate, a rice dish, and perfectly cooked vegetables. Desert was fresh baked peanut butter cookies and vanilla ice cream.  It was good enough to make me come untied.  

Better yet, just sit in on the poker game in Plush. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Marysmith.0901

Marysmith.0901

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 09:05 AM

If you're planning to view the Annular Solar Eclipse and camp at the Abert Rim Overlook, you should be prepared for chilly weather, with average temperatures ranging from around 30 °F to 60 °F in mid-October. Moreover, it's possible to encounter snow during this time of the year. However, the roads should be passable, although it's always good to check with local authorities for any road closures or restrictions. The best route to reach the overlook is via Hwy 395 or Hwy 31.

Keep in mind that there could be spotty or no cell service in that area, so it's best to plan accordingly. Overall, camping in this area could be a great option for viewing the eclipse, but it's always important to check for any permits or camping restrictions. Make sure to pack appropriate gear and clothing to stay comfortable throughout your camping experience.

#14 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 07 September 2023 - 02:05 PM

The best route to reach the overlook is via Hwy 395 or Hwy 31.

Thanks for all of the info Marysmith. If the weather looks sketchy, cloudy or even snow, we are lining up a couple of alternate sites further east in Nevada. And, bottom line, in the pop up camper, it can always be a balmy 55 degrees!

Mapping this with Google initially shows a route off 395 near Moss Creek past a residence at Boggy Lake and then over what looks like a barely perceptible road to NF3624, then to NF 3615. Maybe Google thinks that's the best approach, but I've known Google maps to lie and get people stranded or worst.

I'm assuming the normal route would be NF 3615 off Hwy 140 near Camas Sno Park?

Half the fun of these adventures is the map work and research ahead of time!

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 September 2023 - 02:40 PM

Come shape your plans when the fire is bright,

And the shimmering glasses are—

When the woods are bright in the winter’s night,

Under the northern star.

And let us buy for the days of spring,

While yet the north winds blow!

For half the joy of the trip, my boy,

Is getting your traps to go.

Albert Bigelow Paine - 1908

I am haunted by waters

#16 Marysmith.0901

Marysmith.0901

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 05:02 AM

Thanks for all of the info Marysmith. If the weather looks sketchy, cloudy or even snow, we are lining up a couple of alternate sites further east in Nevada. And, bottom line, in the pop up camper, it can always be a balmy 55 degrees!

Mapping this with Google initially shows a route off 395 near Moss Creek past a residence at Boggy Lake and then over what looks like a barely perceptible road to NF3624, then to NF 3615. Maybe Google thinks that's the best approach, but I've known Google maps to lie and get people stranded or worst.

I'm assuming the normal route would be NF 3615 off Hwy 140 near Camas Sno Park?

Half the fun of these adventures is the map work and research ahead of time!

You're welcome! It's always good to have backup plans when traveling, especially when the weather can be unpredictable.  The normal route to the hot springs is via NF 3615 off Hwy 140 near Camas Snow Park. It's a well-traveled and maintained route that is regularly used by visitors to the hot springs.

#17 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 September 2023 - 01:48 PM

If you're planning to view the Annular Solar Eclipse and camp at the Abert Rim Overlook, you should be prepared for chilly weather, with average temperatures ranging from around 30 °F to 60 °F in mid-October. Moreover, it's possible to encounter snow during this time of the year. However, the roads should be passable, although it's always good to check with local authorities for any road closures or restrictions. The best route to reach the overlook is via Hwy 395 or Hwy 31.

Keep in mind that there could be spotty or no cell service in that area, so it's best to plan accordingly. Overall, camping in this area could be a great option for viewing the eclipse, but it's always important to check for any permits or camping restrictions. Make sure to pack appropriate gear and clothing to stay comfortable throughout your camping experience.

Good advice. I have been looking at the long term weather (WAG) and it shows clouds in the Albert Rim and Fruita area. We will be checking a few days ahead of he 14th. IF cloudy we will head south from Durango and be a Mexican Hat. Wishing everyone clear skys for the ring of fire. 

#18 Marysmith.0901

Marysmith.0901

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 01:13 AM

Good advice. I have been looking at the long term weather (WAG) and it shows clouds in the Albert Rim and Fruita area. We will be checking a few days ahead of he 14th. IF cloudy we will head south from Durango and be a Mexican Hat. Wishing everyone clear skys for the ring of fire. 

Thanks for the heads-up! That's a good point to keep in mind – I definitely don't want to miss out on the ring of fire because of cloudy weather. Hopefully, we'll still get clear skies, but if not, I'm down for a road trip to Mexican Hat. Let's hope for the best though, and see what happens!

#19 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 05 October 2023 - 11:17 PM

My weather app is showing 100% cloud cover for Abert Rim and our back up sites, oh well....

Maybe things will improve as the day draws closer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users