• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 04:07 AM

I have been hanging on to a Victron 30amp DC/DC chargers for a year now. After some close calls with only solar last winter and limited sun, I'm finally gonna install the little rascal. I'm worried about it getting too hot if I put it in the existing battery cabinet (Hawk side dinette). Would it be crazy to instal it in the passenger side, front turn buckle door???????? Mounting it just on the other side of the camper wall from the battery which would make a short run. It seems like it may be out of the elements for the most part tucked away between the camper and the bed wall.

Too wet out there and a bad idea?

#2 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSugarloaf, Colorado

Posted 04 October 2023 - 04:42 AM

I have mine installed in my battery compartment in the camper. It has never gotten even slightly warm. But my tundra has a smart alternator, and it seems that after a half hour of the truck running, the Orion never puts out more than 150W, which is disappointing. But ymmv.

#3 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 06:52 AM

I would hook it up temporarily with a low battery and let it charge and measure the temperature of the unit.  I have been reading the Victron and Renogy manuals recently and they do specify a minimum clear distance.  While open air flow is best, the manuals suggest to me that if the compartment is big enough it should be OK, if not, a small fan could be added to vent to outside air.  That said, they do have overtemp shutdown just in case.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 October 2023 - 11:28 AM

I've got the smaller 18amp charger mounted in a flatbed hawk and thus in a confined space.  I've not checked to see how warm/hot it gets when driving but I haven't seen any degradation of the charging and will try to remember to check it next time on an extended road triop.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 02:19 PM

Good information all. It was my understanding that in bulk charge they get really hot. Things are pretty crowded in my battery cave with the new 200ah lithium hogging up space. It is good to know they have an overheat shut off. I will look back at the recommended minimum clearance and see if I comply. 

Where have others with a side dinette Hawk placed these units? 

#6 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 October 2023 - 04:41 PM

The safety instructions in the Victron Orion manuals say not to operate it in a wet environment, and the specs say its humidity withstanding capability is 95% non-condensing. I would not install it on the outside of the camper even where well protected in the truck bed.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#7 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSugarloaf, Colorado

Posted 04 October 2023 - 05:08 PM

Good information all. It was my understanding that in bulk charge they get really hot. Things are pretty crowded in my battery cave with the new 200ah lithium hogging up space. It is good to know they have an overheat shut off. I will look back at the recommended minimum clearance and see if I comply. 

Where have others with a side dinette Hawk placed these units? 

Don't know if this helps, but these were my installations in a Hawk with a side couch configuration, and one in a Hawk with the front dinette.

Attached Files

#8 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 09:22 PM

The safety instructions in the Victron Orion manuals say not to operate it in a wet environment, and the specs say its humidity withstanding capability is 95% non-condensing. I would not install it on the outside of the camper even where well protected in the truck bed.

Thank you for that information. I think that location would be too wet as well.

#9 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 04 October 2023 - 09:23 PM

Don't know if this helps, but these were my installations in a Hawk with a side couch configuration, and one in a Hawk with the front dinette.

Thank you. I'm going to go with the same location as you posted. Unless anyone else has any better locations to suggest.

#10 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 October 2023 - 11:45 PM

I have side dinette and battery box is full so I hung it on exterior wall of Battery box ...an ideal spot. When one sits down it is behind your knees so no contact.... wires are short (12") into Battery box. But the real plus is cooling... it is perpendicular, next to the access drop open door for turnbuckle. So when driving I leave that open. it is inches away and has lots of air flow.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users