20 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 October 2023 - 03:56 PM

So the display on the deep sea is not a reliable way to determine battery level?

Sorry, "deep sea"??  If you mean voltage, no often isn't

#12 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 October 2023 - 09:24 PM

Hi, a lot of good advice so far. I’m the guy who suggested low voltage on your Facebook post. That foil duct should be removed regardless of what the current issue is, it creates too much back pressure on the sail switch particularly when at higher elevation. From what you’ve said here it sounds like low voltage was the issue. The furnace blower will go through a lot of amp hours if running all night trying to keep the camper at the temperature you might keep your house at. Add the fridge draw to that and you’d easily blast through the usable amp hours of a single battery.

I agree that installing a shunt based battery monitor is the first upgrade any camper owner should make. Voltage fluctuates too much to be of any real use. It will only give you an accurate reading when the battery has been at rest for a while and that never happens when you are using the camper. The shunt will measure all the ins and outs in terms of amps. So you know exactly how many amps have been used. Victron has 2 that many of us have installed, the BMV712 smart and the Smart shunt. Both have Bluetooth and utilize the Victron app. For a basic setup like a FWC I think the Smart Shunt will do the job.

Lots of people make a single battery work for them but it will take close monitoring and conservation of battery use. As has been mentioned now is the time to add a second battery and it should be an exact match to what you have. It hasn’t been mentioned and perhaps you already know, but only half of the battery amp hours are usable. Otherwise you’ll be replacing batteries every year or so.

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#13 Big Al

Big Al

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 04:55 AM

Wouldn't it be better to use two six volt batteries wired in series than to have two twelve volt batteries wired in parallel?  

The way it was explained to me was that wiring this way gave, in essence, one large twelve-volt battery, except that, since the six-volt batteries had fewer plates, there was more room for electrolyte and therefore more capacity to produce electricity.  

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 October 2023 - 02:28 PM

Wouldn't it be better to use two six volt batteries wired in series than to have two twelve volt batteries wired in parallel?

The way it was explained to me was that wiring this way gave, in essence, one large twelve-volt battery, except that, since the six-volt batteries had fewer plates, there was more room for electrolyte and therefore more capacity to produce electricity.

Sounds reasonable. However, if you already have one 12V battery, adding another is comparatively cheaper and easier, no?

#15 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 10:37 PM

Hi, a lot of good advice so far. I’m the guy who suggested low voltage on your Facebook post. That foil duct should be removed regardless of what the current issue is, it creates too much back pressure on the sail switch particularly when at higher elevation. From what you’ve said here it sounds like low voltage was the issue. The furnace blower will go through a lot of amp hours if running all night trying to keep the camper at the temperature you might keep your house at. Add the fridge draw to that and you’d easily blast through the usable amp hours of a single battery.

I agree that installing a shunt based battery monitor is the first upgrade any camper owner should make. Voltage fluctuates too much to be of any real use. It will only give you an accurate reading when the battery has been at rest for a while and that never happens when you are using the camper. The shunt will measure all the ins and outs in terms of amps. So you know exactly how many amps have been used. Victron has 2 that many of us have installed, the BMV712 smart and the Smart shunt. Both have Bluetooth and utilize the Victron app. For a basic setup like a FWC I think the Smart Shunt will do the job.

Lots of people make a single battery work for them but it will take close monitoring and conservation of battery use. As has been mentioned now is the time to add a second battery and it should be an exact match to what you have. It hasn’t been mentioned and perhaps you already know, but only half of the battery amp hours are usable. Otherwise you’ll be replacing batteries every year or so.

Dean

Thanks Dean, I think I’m going to add the shunt and second battery. There is no fridge in my camper so there’s no draw from one.

#16 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 October 2023 - 11:41 PM

Thanks Dean, I think I’m going to add the shunt and second battery. There is no fridge in my camper so there’s no draw from one.

Good plan, let us know how it works out.

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#17 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 October 2023 - 12:07 AM

Seems simple enough. The battery is new, the camper is only a few months old and battery hasn’t been used a ton. I’m just looking to extend usage time and not be left with no power in the boondocks. Can I get away with a different brand with same specs?

If the camper is new it should be prewired for solar. Consider adding some solar to the mix. Even a portable panel off the back will help. That panel could also keep your battery topped off while your camper sits in between trips. Letting AGM batteries get below 50% SOC is no bueno. I also agree with adding a shunt. I put it off and tried to think of every way possible to keep track of the SOC based solely on voltage readings with very limited success. The shunt is the way to go and takes all the guess work out of the equation.

#18 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2023 - 11:37 AM

If the camper is new it should be prewired for solar. Consider adding some solar to the mix. Even a portable panel off the back will help. That panel could also keep your battery topped off while your camper sits in between trips. Letting AGM batteries get below 50% SOC is no bueno. I also agree with adding a shunt. I put it off and tried to think of every way possible to keep track of the SOC based solely on voltage readings with very limited success. The shunt is the way to go and takes all the guess work out of the equation.

Yeah solar is definitely in the plan. I guess my only issue with solar that isn’t mounted permanently is the truck is still a daily driver and a lot of daylight hours will be spent with it driving. So to really get the value of solar id have to mount it permanently.

#19 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 October 2023 - 07:31 PM

I added a second battery that was as close to identical as the og 24 AGM as I could find in parallel. Turned everything on and didn’t blow myself up (I’m scared of electricity) which was great. I’ve been watching the voltage meter the past 10min. Started at 12.88 and has trickled down to 12.84 very slowly. I may be a bit paranoid, but is this normal?

#20 Jzack605

Jzack605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 01:52 AM

Now it’s reading at 14.46v!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users