• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 swope

swope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 04:50 PM

Hi everyone. Unfortunately I sheared another elevator bolt... this time the driver-side front bolt of my 2010 Eagle. Anyone have insight as to how to access this for replacement? It's inaccessible right now, under the cabinetry (from front to back, I have a water pump, stove, and sink), next to the 10gal water tank. Wondering if anyone has done this and has any tips to avoid disassembling the entire cabinetry. Thanks for the help.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 October 2023 - 06:44 PM

Hi everyone. Unfortunately I sheared another elevator bolt... this time the driver-side front bolt of my 2010 Eagle. Anyone have insight as to how to access this for replacement? It's inaccessible right now, under the cabinetry (from front to back, I have a water pump, stove, and sink), next to the 10gal water tank. Wondering if anyone has done this and has any tips to avoid disassembling the entire cabinetry. Thanks for the help.

Give Stan a call at FWC.I think he would have the best solution to your problem.

Elevator bolt? Do you mean the "eye" bolt that attaches to the tie downs?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 swope

swope

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 07:19 PM

Thanks, Frank. It's the elevator bolt -- snapped off with the eyenut attached. I replaced the previous one that broke with the Grade 5 option from McMaster Carr, fortunately I bought a spare set.

Stan actually responded to a post I made in the Facebook group, he's awesome.

Give Stan a call at FWC.I think he would have the best solution to your problem.

Frank

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,772 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 27 October 2023 - 07:21 PM

Look at fwc web page and call Stan. There is a improved bracket you might look at with Stan

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 27 October 2023 - 10:48 PM

Frank

Hi Frank.

It’s not “the” elevator bolt as if it has an elevator function of some kind on the camper, it’s “an” elevator bolt, which is a specific type of bolt. An internet search will show you what it is and why it has that name.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 28 October 2023 - 06:47 PM

Hi Frank.

It’s not “the” elevator bolt as if it has an elevator function of some kind on the camper, it’s “an” elevator bolt, which is a specific type of bolt. An internet search will show you what it is and why it has that name.

Thanks Jon.I did check out the parts site,but without a picture I don't know

what that bolt does and what it would take to snap it.

Does it hold down a plate that has an eye bolt to attach the tie downs to?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 28 October 2023 - 06:54 PM

I went into the post  "Hold down upgrade" below. I am just curious , not having any issues

with my hold downs. 

I think I see what  swope is referring to.

Frank

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 October 2023 - 10:41 PM

I went into the post  "Hold down upgrade" below. I am just curious , not having any issues

with my hold downs. 

I think I see what  swope is referring to.

Frank

Frank, older campers didn't have the current system with 3"x5" x1/4" aluminum backing plates and climbing anchors.  They used an eyebolt (elevator bolt) with large integrated "washers" and a simple fender washer on the underside.   

For the OP, the eyebolt is fastened under the truck bed with a large nut.  Undo that and you could potentially slide out the old eyebolt and install a new one.  The way you describe your setup, I wonder if you can get at the turnbuckles?  If you can, you can replace the eyebolt.

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 28 October 2023 - 11:51 PM

Vic I am not having any issues.  I was just curious as to the problem the poster is having.

My system is  an eye bolt through the truck bed with plates and turn buckles to another

eye bolt in the camper wood base. Typical ATC method.

I have never had any problems with my tie down system loosening.

Frank

#10 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 29 October 2023 - 12:20 PM

This is what I did on my older (now sold) Eagle w/ the backer plates, etc.  It won't help getting the old ones out but I'd recommend you put backer plates on the truck bed and on the camper.  Easy to make (I just bought some alum and drilled hole, squared it out for the bolt).

Attached Thumbnails

• backing plate 2.jpg

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eagle, elevator bolt, eyenut, turnbuckle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users