• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Dan W

Dan W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:04 PM

Dirt Rider, did you run the exhaust out through the existing hot water exhaust port? Are you concerned at all about having your exhaust even though it's wrapped touching the plywood? I purchased some aluminum back fiberglass sheeting that I put in places that I was concerned about heat issues and it does seem to help. When the sun was on the metal exterior housing of the heater it was up around 120°. When I put the fiberglass sheeting on it dropped it down to about 85.

#32 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 06:17 PM

I know its hard to see, but the wood was getting to hot so I put a piece of aluminum under it and under that high temp silicon. the exhaust is a high temp bulkhead fitting made for this type application. I will try and attach a pix. 

#33 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 06:27 PM

heater outlet 3.jpg

#34 Dan W

Dan W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 07:47 PM

I know on my unit the temp was well over 300° at the elbow. I don't know that the aluminum is going to help that much because it'll probably transfer the heat but maybe keep it from burning. They do make an elbow that you can get on Amazon that might make it turn a little tighter so you're not making contact with the bottom. Changing the subject. I was having overheating problems but just found out that the motherboard and controller I have is working incorrectly. So the manufacturer is sending me a new motherboard and controller. Apparently it's a known issue. Keep working on it Dirt rider, tweaking and adjusting and you will get it.

#35 Dan W

Dan W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:26 PM

Dirt Rider after looking at your picture again, do you think there's any way you could cut out below the exhaust in the plywood? If you could give it a little breathing room so to speak would probably help out quite a bit.

#36 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 08:51 PM

Ran it all night and it is not showing any signs of getting to hot anymore, the aluminum and silicon did the trick.

#37 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 March 2024 - 02:33 AM

i ran the exhaust from my Propex heater through a 1" hole, with not much clearance around the exhaust tube.  Sealed with red high temp silicone.  No issues with the plywood getting hot.

#38 Dan W

Dan W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 05:31 PM

Vic, dirt rider, glad your systems are working good for you guys. I'm probably being over cautious by trying to keep my exhaust away from burnables. We have been traveling full time for almost 3 years from the tip of baja to the tip of Maine and down to Florida. When we were in cold weather up north in Wyoming we were ripping through the propane. Now I feel comfortable with having a heating system that's easier on fuel and I can pull up to a pump and take care of the truck and the heating oil. My goal was to be able to remove the propane heater and make a slide in mount for my diesel heater that I could remove easily for maintenance and repair.

Attached Thumbnails

• Compress_20240307_095919_9803.jpg
  • Compress_20240307_095920_0577.jpg
  • Compress_20240307_095918_8524.jpg

#39 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 March 2024 - 03:34 AM

Dan, I totally agree with you re: fuel and getting it all at once.  Glad it is working for you, and your pioneering work with cheap CDH's will be helpful for the rest of us...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users