41 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:51 PM

Here -- at 30° Lat, 100° Lon -- it's not only the first day of meteorological spring but feels like 'practical' spring, too. It's 80°F.

IMG_20240301_153315.jpg

Now...with winter storm warnings and even blizzard warnings issued for the far West...well, that doesn't seem very spring-y.

But I remember one Memorial Day weekend - a million years ago - when I met my brother and sister in law in Lakeview, Oregon, intending to spend the long weekend camped at Hart Mountain. It was pouring rain, so we checked into a Lakeview motel for the night.

The next morning we awoke to 18 inches of new snow! It was Lakeview's biggest single snowstorm of the whole winter -- and it was late spring! 

And it's not unusual for the local ski area to reach maximum snow depth in April.

Best wishes and good luck to the Western snow-burdened. 

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Mr. BC and happy start of Spring. That does look warm and toasty! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:25 PM

Well it sorta feels like spring here on the coast.A little rain during the night and

maybe more later today. No snow for us ,oh maybe on the peaks around the Salinas valley.

Stay safe and welcome to spring.

Frank

IMG_1348.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_1367.jpeg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2024 - 11:40 PM

The national news is reporting a major snow storm in the Sierra's. I hope those who live there survive without issues

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 March 2024 - 04:26 AM

80 is closed. Chain controls on everything else. I may take the dog and the new Jeep up to the snow next week but I'm not crazy enough to head up now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:03 AM

The wind howling outside now is incredible.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 March 2024 - 04:12 PM

Trucks stuck in Downieville. Someone is vying to be the next "Stolpa" /sigh.

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 March 2024 - 04:47 PM

I can understand the person that rented a cabin for the weekend and really wants to get up there but they interviewed a lady that was turning around in Colfax. "I didn't expect a storm, I guess I should have checked the weather forecast" /facepalm

I don't think you could get more media coverage yet here is someone that clueless. 

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:21 PM

I can understand the person that rented a cabin for the weekend and really wants to get up there but they interviewed a lady that was turning around in Colfax. "I didn't expect a storm, I guess I should have checked the weather forecast" /facepalm

I don't think you could get more media coverage yet here is someone that clueless. 

Selective ignorance I think it's called.

Frank 

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:46 PM

"Oh the weather started getting rough

the tiny ship was tossed

if not for the courage of the fearless crew

the minnow would be lost............................"

First clean up completed. We only got 6 inches overnight but very heavy wet sierra cement. It's snow like this when we really appreciate diesel. It's 27 now and snowing heavily. The new snow as the storm continues will be light and fluffy.

As I was busting through the plow berm on the County road with the big blower, a long line of city dwellers in their snorkled and lifted rigs drove by to come up here and "play in the snow."

Maybe, but probably not, someday they'll get a clue how utterly unwelcome they are - except by the local station that sells them very expensive gas and yuppie coffee drinks. They spread out and rut and pack down the residential streets, impede the plows, and make it much harder to move snow.

And they have no idea how to drive safely.

Of course I'm biased. But I do have that history of 30 years of winter mountain search and rescue on skis and all the stories about responding to the after affects of their antics..................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users