#21 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 March 2024 - 05:19 PM

Thanks, ski3pin.

If we ever get snow this year (haven't used the blower yet) I will try one you recommended.

I haven't had to clear snow yet this year.  Lakes are very low.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 March 2024 - 06:29 PM

Ski please post up some pictures of your tractor at work when you get a chance. It brings back memories of when I was a kid and we had huge (for me anyways) snowstorms in NH.

Thus far this storm has been a pip squeak compared to the snow totals that were predicted for here. Yesterday morning we woke to 6". Yesterday we received an additional 3". Overnight we received 8" and cleaned that up early this morning.

We live on a private road. With the tractor and snowblower I clear our upper driveway.

SnowStorm-202403-copy-3.webp

The road down past the neighbor below us and her parking area

SnowStorm-202403-copy-2.webp

SnowStorm-202403-copy-5.webp

and our lower driveway

SnowStorm-202403-copy-6.webp

I clear the road up past our neighbor above, his driveway and parking, and the plow berm on the county road

SnowStorm-202403-copy-7.webp

Julie usually has the 10' x 30' deck and the walkways shoveled by the time I'm done with the tractor work. If I can't stop her, she's up at the neighbors above clearing off his car.

SnowStorm-202403-copy-8.webp

To burn off energy she'll also get out and scrape everything down to black pavement.

The hardest part of cleanup is when the sun hits and the snowbombs come out of the ponderosa and cedars. It immediately freezes up into rock hard cement.

The forecast -

Today
Snow showers. Patchy blowing snow after 4pm. High near 33. South southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow showers, mainly before 10pm. Patchy blowing snow before 10pm. Low around 26. Southwest wind 9 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Monday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. South southwest wind around 9 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Monday Night
Rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 33. South wind 9 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Tuesday
Rain and snow showers likely, becoming all rain after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. South wind around 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Tuesday Night
Showers likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday
A chance of rain and snow showers before 1pm, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers before 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 30.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 44.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 March 2024 - 08:14 PM

Wow! You really didn't get much snow (relatively). Well we're not over Winter yet.

Edited by smlobx, 03 March 2024 - 08:14 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#24 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 March 2024 - 08:42 PM

When snowfall forecasts state "up to..." or "as much as..." I see that they're erring on the side of caution, warning people of the worst case scenario -- for safety.

BUT: It can also lead to a "boy who cried wolf" situation. Personally, when I hear ".. up to a foot of new snow possible at Cascade passes.. " I automatically assume, "OK, so it'll be about 6-8 inches" -- because it's rarely as much as they predict "possible". 

That's why I really like how AccuWeather (for one source) presents precipitation forecasts -- as a simple table of probabilities (such as this example from my screenshot archive):

IMG_20240303_141751.jpg

Just gimme the facts. 

But...wuddya gonna do about people who travel without even looking at a forecast of any sort...?

Oh well. 

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#25 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 March 2024 - 08:43 PM

This has been a very interesting storm. In our central coast area ,Monterey Bay we had a real official tornado warning last night about 6:30. Put out over the phone/radio station we were listening to and the TV. It was an area of very severe weather within 

a few miles of our home. Only amounted to some winds and hail.

The warning had a bit of humor in it.It advised to go to our basements,yeah right. Basements in California.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#26 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 March 2024 - 09:51 PM

In spite of the authorities asking people to postpone travel if they didn't "need" to travel its seems a majority just wanted to go see/play in the snow.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 March 2024 - 12:50 AM

Wow! You really didn't get much snow (relatively). Well we're not over Winter yet.

From "The Big One" storm that's now tapering off, we received 22" of snow and over 3.5" of rain before it turned to snow.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 05 March 2024 - 04:15 AM

ski - your travels to death valley are the opposite environment of your home area.   good luck with the snow removal.  just rain here in the pdx area.

go

Oregon

#29 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 March 2024 - 02:41 PM

ski - your travels to death valley are the opposite environment of your home area.   good luck with the snow removal.  just rain here in the pdx area.

go

Indeed! We are soon to get out of this rain in PDX and head down to Death Valley and environs. It will be 77 and mostly sunny in Stovepipe Wells today!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#30 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 06 March 2024 - 05:56 PM

It was snowing when I woke up yesterday and hwy 101 was closed between Seaside and Cannon Beach because of ice. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users