Photo
- - - - -

Will 2010 Hawk fit on 2024 Chevrolet 82 inch truck bed with tailgate closed?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 01:41 AM

I am buying a new Chevrolet 2500 HD with standard bed (82.75 in bed).  Have a 2010 Hawk, would like to leave tailgate on and use tailgate step to enter and exit camper.  I know the Ram and Ford standard pickup beds are too short for this. 

I don't want to remove tailgate because the camera on it is part of the 360 camera view.  Hope someone has tried this out, or I will find out when the new truck comes in.

#2 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 March 2024 - 03:09 AM

I don’t know the exact dimensions of a 2010 Hawk. However, I did ask this same question about my 2021 GMC HD long bed and a 2021 Grandby. It was too short by an inch plus even if I was to shave the front camper bumpers to have only 1/2” clearance to the front bed rail.

While they called it a 98 inch bed, that length is only available below the top of the front bed rail. The front rail comes back about 2” from the front bed wall at the floor. The distance from the top rail of the front of the bed and the inside of the tailgate is about 96.25 inches.

So for your 2024 standard bed question be aware of the same issue with the stated bed length in the specs being the floor length, not the top rail to tailgate length. Also, there is hardware on the back of the camper that sticks out about 1.5” beyond the camper back wall. My guess is it won’t quite fit, but I don’t know that.

Finally, while I thought I would want the tailgate on if my camper would fit, once I used the camper I quickly realized that, because of the short low entry door, it works best for me to be stepping up from below as I enter and stepping down as I exit. That way I don’t need to bend over much getting in and out. I’m 6’0”. I use a plastic two-step ladder for access.

The camera issue can be addressed with a camera on the camper. I bought a GM camera for $100, a FAKRA cable, and made an enclosure out of a pvc 45 degree ell. It’s mounted in the same position as the tailgate camera so the views don’t change.

Attached Thumbnails

• E751C1F3-7346-4D3E-BBAA-7CCBB7DB4B56.jpeg

Edited by Jon R, 07 March 2024 - 03:23 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#3 n7wrh

n7wrh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 02:37 PM

I don’t know the exact dimensions of a 2010 Hawk. However, I did ask this same question about my 2021 GMC HD long bed and a 2021 Grandby. It was too short by an inch plus even if I was to shave the front camper bumpers to have only 1/2” clearance to the front bed rail.

While they called it a 98 inch bed, that length is only available below the top of the front bed rail. The front rail comes back about 2” from the front bed wall at the floor. The distance from the top rail of the front of the bed and the inside of the tailgate is about 96.25 inches.

So for your 2024 standard bed question be aware of the same issue with the stated bed length in the specs being the floor length, not the top rail to tailgate length. Also, there is hardware on the back of the camper that sticks out about 1.5” beyond the camper back wall. My guess is it won’t quite fit, but I don’t know that.

Finally, while I thought I would want the tailgate on if my camper would fit, once I used the camper I quickly realized that, because of the short low entry door, it works best for me to be stepping up from below as I enter and stepping down as I exit. That way I don’t need to bend over much getting in and out. I’m 6’0”. I use a plastic two-step ladder for access.

The camera issue can be addressed with a camera on the camper. I bought a GM camera for $100, a FAKRA cable, and made an enclosure out of a pvc 45 degree ell. It’s mounted in the same position as the tailgate camera so the views don’t change.

Could you share any additional info on how you wired the camera to interface with the truck?

#4 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 07:42 PM

Could you share any additional info on how you wired the camera to interface with the truck?

It’s plug and play. I’m using the same part number camera as is in the tailgate. When you remove the tailgate, you disconnect two connectors behind the bumper next to the spare tire. One is a big rectangular connector with about 16 pins for all the tailgate functions. The other is a single FAKRA connector for the camera. The connection on the camera is also FAKRA. All you need to do is route a FAKRA patch cable from the camera to the camera plug behind the bumper. You can find the cables in many lengths and connector types (male, female, straight, right angle) on Amazon for around $10. If you need something you can’t find ready made, pasternack.com will make and ship one for around $35.

FAKRA connectors have about 12 different colors, each uniquely keyed to prevent incorrect connections in a complex system. For this use, the easiest thing to do is to order the color “water blue,” which is universal and will connect to any of the other colors. There is only one FAKRA connector in the spare tire area so no danger of connecting to the wrong one.

Edited by Jon R, 07 March 2024 - 08:12 PM.

Jon R

#5 n7wrh

n7wrh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 06:31 PM

It’s plug and play. I’m using the same part number camera as is in the tailgate. When you remove the tailgate, you disconnect two connectors behind the bumper next to the spare tire. One is a big rectangular connector with about 16 pins for all the tailgate functions. The other is a single FAKRA connector for the camera. The connection on the camera is also FAKRA. All you need to do is route a FAKRA patch cable from the camera to the camera plug behind the bumper. You can find the cables in many lengths and connector types (male, female, straight, right angle) on Amazon for around $10. If you need something you can’t find ready made, pasternack.com will make and ship one for around $35.

FAKRA connectors have about 12 different colors, each uniquely keyed to prevent incorrect connections in a complex system. For this use, the easiest thing to do is to order the color “water blue,” which is universal and will connect to any of the other colors. There is only one FAKRA connector in the spare tire area so no danger of connecting to the wrong one.

Thank you! New 2024 Silverado 2500 with new Hawk in April. This gives me some good info to get the truck ready. I have the rearview mirror camera which lets you swap between mirror and camera mirror mode. Also many other cameras on the truck. I'm not positive until I check but I'm guessing the rearview mirror camera is located in the 3rd brake light housing and not the tailgate and the tailgate camera (there may be 2) are views selectable on the infotainment system. More research needed.

#6 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 06:42 PM

Thank you! New 2024 Silverado 2500 with new Hawk in April. This gives me some good info to get the truck ready. I have the rearview mirror camera which lets you swap between mirror and camera mirror mode. Also many other cameras on the truck. I'm not positive until I check but I'm guessing the rearview mirror camera is located in the 3rd brake light housing and not the tailgate and the tailgate camera (there may be 2) are views selectable on the infotainment system. More research needed.

I think you are correct about the camera source for the rear view mirror virtual display, but I have a conventional rear view mirror so I’m not sure. You could ask on the forum gm-trucks.com in the hd subforum.

https://www.gm-truck...o-hd-sierra-hd/

My user name on there is “Another JR.”

You also can download the owners manual from the gm web sites.

There is only one camera on the tailgate. The different views to the rear (rear view and hitch view) are done with that one camera by cropping its wide angle display. The second thing on the tailgate handle assembly that looks like it might be a second camera is actually an LED light. I can look up in my records the tailgate camera part number for my 2021 if you’d like.

Edited by Jon R, 08 March 2024 - 06:55 PM.

Jon R

#7 n7wrh

n7wrh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 07:25 PM

I think you are correct about the camera source for the rear view mirror virtual display, but I have a conventional rear view mirror so I’m not sure. You could ask on the forum gm-trucks.com in the hd subforum.

https://www.gm-truck...o-hd-sierra-hd/

My user name on there is “Another JR.”

You also can download the owners manual from the gm web sites.

There is only one camera on the tailgate. The different views to the rear (rear view and hitch view) are done with that one camera by cropping its wide angle display. The second thing on the tailgate handle assembly that looks like it might be a second camera is actually an LED light. I can look up in my records the tailgate camera part number for my 2021 if you’d like.

HiCap, I did not intend to hijack your thread. Sorry about that - it was a good opportunity to learn more from Jon R. I was also hoping to possibly keep the tailgate on with shortened bumpers but seems like that's not an option for a 2024 Silverado 2500 and Hawk combo. No Biggie.

Jon R - I found this which seems like it is made just for a setup like mine with all the camera options on the truck. No instructions unfortunately although I am fairly handy at figuring things out. Thoughts?

Camera Source Sierra 2500 Camera Relocation Kit with Camera; 14-Foot Cable CS-GMTR-24RSCU-14 (2024 Sierra 2500 HD w/ Factory 360 Degree Surround View System or Tailgate Camera or Tailgate Camera & 3rd Brake Light Camera) - Free Shipping (americantrucks.com)

Edited by n7wrh, 08 March 2024 - 07:27 PM.

#8 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 08:01 PM

Those kits are a camera, cable, and enclosure. When I was doing mine the available enclosures were big clunky looking black plastic things and the kit price was such that I would have been paying $200 over what I could get the camera and cable for. The link you provided shows about the same, although the price is slightly lower than back then. I’m an avid DIYer so I made my much smaller white pvc pipe enclosure that I hardly notice on the door. Nothing wrong with a kit like that. It will work fine. You’re paying about $200 for that plastic enclosure, but sometimes the convenience of something ready made is worth the price.

I offered to make a camera enclosure like mine for my neighbor. It uses a 1.5” pvc 45 degree ell and a specific type of end cap, and involves cutting the cap to make two separate needed pieces out of it. About $8 plus whatever mounting hardware you need. I’ll take pictures of how I make it this time and post them.

Edited by Jon R, 08 March 2024 - 08:02 PM.

Jon R

#9 n7wrh

n7wrh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 09:53 PM

Those kits are a camera, cable, and enclosure. When I was doing mine the available enclosures were big clunky looking black plastic things and the kit price was such that I would have been paying $200 over what I could get the camera and cable for. The link you provided shows about the same, although the price is slightly lower than back then. I’m an avid DIYer so I made my much smaller white pvc pipe enclosure that I hardly notice on the door. Nothing wrong with a kit like that. It will work fine. You’re paying about $200 for that plastic enclosure, but sometimes the convenience of something ready made is worth the price.

I offered to make a camera enclosure like mine for my neighbor. It uses a 1.5” pvc 45 degree ell and a specific type of end cap, and involves cutting the cap to make two separate needed pieces out of it. About $8 plus whatever mounting hardware you need. I’ll take pictures of how I make it this time and post them

Sounds great!  Also if you could provide the camera model maybe it's still available. I don't mind a DIY solution and yours looks nice. My Hawk will be black diamond plate so I would paint the mount if I go DIY.

Edited by n7wrh, 08 March 2024 - 09:54 PM.

#10 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 07:08 PM

Just buy a camara an put it in rear connector an mount on license plate with a holder sold on amazon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users