Photo
- - - - -

Will 2010 Hawk fit on 2024 Chevrolet 82 inch truck bed with tailgate closed?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 09 March 2024 - 07:33 PM

Just buy a camara an put it in rear connector an mount on license plate with a holder sold on amazon

The camera will function that way but the view will be from over 2 feet lower. I like having the camper camera in the same location as the tailgate camera so the view, angle, and the superimposed lines all indicate the same angles and distances in either configuration. That’s also why my neighbor asked me to make an enclosure. He wasn’t happy with the license plate location.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#12 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 09:44 PM

Thank you all for the information, Measuring my 2010 Hawk, it looks like it will fit, may need to relocate the door stop and holder. (added on from newer models)  I am ordering the tailgate with the built step, should help with entry and access to roof of camper with tailgate on.

I will take my tape measure to Chevrolet dealer and measure the bed.  

#13 n7wrh

n7wrh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 06:21 PM

Thank you all for the information, Measuring my 2010 Hawk, it looks like it will fit, may need to relocate the door stop and holder. (added on from newer models)  I am ordering the tailgate with the built step, should help with entry and access to roof of camper with tailgate on.

I will take my tape measure to Chevrolet dealer and measure the bed.  

HiCap, is there a specific measurement I can take for you? I have a 2024 2500 ZR2.

#14 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 06:55 PM

If you could measure the floor from the front of the bed to the point the tailgate touches the bed.

Thank you for the help.  

#15 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:14 PM

If you could measure the floor from the front of the bed to the point the tailgate touches the bed.

Thank you for the help.

HiCap - I wanted to make sure you caught from my earlier post that the top rail of the front of the bed comes back a good 2 inches from the lower part of the bed wall. The distance from that rail to the inside surface of the tailgate is the critical measurement to compare to the overall camper length. The camper bumpers can be cut down some but you want to have the better part of an inch clearance between that rail and the front of the camper to allow for relative movement.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2F9D75AE-D96D-43BF-910A-17D93FA2F441.jpeg

Jon R

#16 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 07:49 PM

Picture worth a thousand words.  Thanks for the picture, looks like a lost cause fitting my Hawk with tailgate closed.   I will research for a pop up camper that will fit in the bed with tailgate closed.

Thanks for all the help.  

#17 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:41 PM

Picture worth a thousand words. Thanks for the picture, looks like a lost cause fitting my Hawk with tailgate closed. I will research for a pop up camper that will fit in the bed with tailgate closed.

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry to be the bearer of the news that the “82 inch” bed is really an 80 inch bed at rail level. However, I went through the same thought process for my Grandby thinking the multipro tailgate step would be ideal. Of course it didn’t fit with the tailgate closed so I never installed it that way, but after living with the camper a few years I really think the best entry into any low-door-height popup camper is going the be with the first step outside being one step lower than the camper floor rather than level with the camper floor. That way you don’t really have to bend over much when going in or out. I would not be using my tailgate even if it could close behind the camper.

I would try just using a short step ladder for a while before deciding to switch campers just for this reason. I use the Rubbermaid two step folding ladder.

Jon R

#18 HiCap

HiCap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 08:56 PM

Thinking of buying a new Raven model and selling my 2010 Hawk.  That should mount in any of the new 6 foot bed trucks.

That way I can try out the Raven with my present truck and see how I like or dislike having the tailgate on, before I invest in new truck.

Appreciate the good advice. 

#19 New Man

New Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 12:39 AM

This may be redundant, but I bought an after-market camera for my Tacoma (it's basically a replacement part for the camera in my tailgate), and the guy who installed my camper attached it to the bottom of the camper. (I could have done this myself, once I saw how he did it!) The angle is of course a bit different than the tailgate camera, but it works fine. (You might be able to see this in the photo noted below.)

For a step I bought a "Haul Master Hitch Extender With Step" at Harbor Freight for $30 (looks like they're up to $35 now -- inflation!):

https://www.harborfr...step-97685.html

I attached a chunk of doormat astroturf to it (see attached photo):

gallery_6812_1626_4633997.jpg

Having the step fixed to the truck is a lot better than having a separate step, and having the doormat astroturf on the step reduces the dirt in the camper.

Happy camping!

#20 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 01:38 AM

My shins hurt just looking at those hitch-mounted steps, but I had a bad experience with walking into a ball mount on my truck years ago that scarred me for life.

Edited for typo

Edited by Jon R, 11 March 2024 - 02:20 AM.

Jon R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users