• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 March 2024 - 04:18 PM

After years of scoffing at them and those who partake, my wife and I are thinking of getting a couple pedal assist mt. bikes due to the whole getting older and increasing joint pains.  We currently travel with our bikes on fork mounts on the back wall. Anyone try to carry heavier bikes that way? The bikes we are looking at are around 56lbs. As the rear tire rests on the bumper, I'm thinking I could fab a bracket that is attached to the bumper that will carry most the weight. The fork mount just holds the bike against the wall. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2094 (1).jpg

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 11 March 2024 - 04:20 PM.

#2 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 March 2024 - 09:23 PM

I found these and may be able to mount to the top of bumper for the rear tire? They sell just the flat piece by itself for $60

1.jpg?v=1637712647

#3 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 11 March 2024 - 09:53 PM

I see your concern putting a heavier bike in that position. I wonder if the mount you are looking at will support much weight though, since the wheel can still rotate. If it did, and your camper "bounces" up from your truck*, then the bike is part of that load path. But that's probably not a big deal since the wheel will rotate.

* I saw this happen to one of Wander the West's bestest posters a month ago!

By the way, I've also scoffed at E-bikes, but now that I'm aging, I see one in my future.

Edited by rubberlegs, 11 March 2024 - 09:58 PM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#4 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 March 2024 - 11:19 PM

I see your concern putting a heavier bike in that position. I wonder if the mount you are looking at will support much weight though, since the wheel can still rotate. If it did, and your camper "bounces" up from your truck*, then the bike is part of that load path. But that's probably not a big deal since the wheel will rotate.

* I saw this happen to one of Wander the West's bestest posters a month ago!

By the way, I've also scoffed at E-bikes, but now that I'm aging, I see one in my future.

Good point, and they don't list a weight rating. Also as I look at it, the tire drops below the bumper a bit. I think a custom fabrication will be in order. 

We are not ready to give up our "acoustic" bikes altogether, but are definitely looking at options for longer rides. I think the pedal assist is a good transition to start with. If I go all electric it is gonna be a Surron light bee x. Those things are insane but then it is more of a motocross kind of riding thing and we can't ride them on many trails as they don't tread lightly. They are awesome though and would be fun on the track! :)

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:39 AM

A word of caution if concern for aging joints and muscles are the driving motivation. It would be prudent to choose a mounting method that doesn't swap the strength and motion difficulty from one's' legs to one's back and arms in order to get the heaver bike into and out of  storage position. 

Jes' sayin'  :wacko:

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 March 2024 - 12:56 AM

A word of caution if concern for aging joints and muscles are the driving motivation. It would be prudent to choose a mounting method that doesn't swap the strength and motion difficulty from one's' legs to one's back and arms in order to get the heaver bike into and out of storage position.

Jes' sayin' :wacko:

Paul

I am kinda dreading that aspect of it all for sure!

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:20 AM

I hear you, Captain D.  We went to the dark side two winters ago.  My full suspension Turbo Levo weighs in at 57# and my wife's step thru bike weights a few pounds less with front shocks only.  When I was younger, I also did vertical fork mounted bikes and still have the fork mounts on my Hawk.  I've done 1200 miles on my bike and it makes me smile every time.  My wife and I do bike rides together now!  Do it.  

These new bikes are beasts.  They are very heavy and I bought a 1Up bike rack to use with our 2" receiver hitch.  It's not ideal at the back door of our Hawk and some folks have a swing-away option.   I've added a 1Up ramp to our bike rack, with mods to move it from left side to right.  I just hit the button and the bike walks up.  I still need to use chafe gear between the bikes on rough dirt roads.  Pedals rotate freely so I have to secure them with bungies and have neoprene pedal socks to keep them from attacking the other bike.

I also have a front receiver hitch, and sometimes put the bikes up front for more local driving from camp or home. 

I don't like it at night for obvious reasons.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:19 AM

I hear you, Captain D.  We went to the dark side two winters ago.  My full suspension Turbo Levo weighs in at 57# and my wife's step thru bike weights a few pounds less with front shocks only.  When I was younger, I also did vertical fork mounted bikes and still have the fork mounts on my Hawk.  I've done 1200 miles on my bike and it makes me smile every time.  My wife and I do bike rides together now!  Do it.  

These new bikes are beasts.  They are very heavy and I bought a 1Up bike rack to use with our 2" receiver hitch.  It's not ideal at the back door of our Hawk and some folks have a swing-away option.   I've added a 1Up ramp to our bike rack, with mods to move it from left side to right.  I just hit the button and the bike walks up.  I still need to use chafe gear between the bikes on rough dirt roads.  Pedals rotate freely so I have to secure them with bungies and have neoprene pedal socks to keep them from attacking the other bike.

I also have a front receiver hitch, and sometimes put the bikes up front for more local driving from camp or home. 

I don't like it at night for obvious reasons.  

Thanks Lighthawk! The Specialized turbo Levo carbon are the bikes we are looking at. I see they now have an SL model that is  38lbs! I worked with 60 lb bags of concrete the other day and the thought of humping that up and mounting it doesn't sound fun. My buddy owns a bike shop in town and we will swing by this weekend for his advice and hopefully find a good fit for our needs. These bikes are getting lighter and lighter every new gen that is released.

#9 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:31 AM

Wow, 38 lbs. My first road bike was a Schwinn Traveler that weighed 39 lb (and lighter than the Schwinn Varsity back then at 41 lb).

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 March 2024 - 02:17 PM

Wow, 38 lbs. My first road bike was a Schwinn Traveler that weighed 39 lb (and lighter than the Schwinn Varsity back then at 41 lb).

Mr. rubberlegs, perhaps this could be posted over in the You know you're a geezer when......... topic.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users