32 replies to this topic

#11 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 March 2024 - 03:37 PM

:lol:

We used whatever we had for a "mountain bike" back on the farm in Michigan. My 1969 Sting-Ray, Lemon Peeler edition was the bees knees back then. It even had what they now call a mullet tire set up! Weighed in at 39 lbs.

61052584_1_x.jpg?height=512&quality=70&v

Mr. rubberlegs, perhaps this could be posted over in the You know you're a geezer when......... topic.

#12 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 March 2024 - 06:28 PM

I found these and may be able to mount to the top of bumper for the rear tire? They sell just the flat piece by itself for $60 . . .

If you are at all handy cutting and drilling metal I'd just get a length of U channel (steel or stainless), width to fit tire inside.

Since most of the weight is on this platform you will need to attach and support it better than the one shown.

Positioned right the front fork clamp will not be carrying much weight.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 March 2024 - 09:46 PM

We put a front receive hitch on for our e-bikes (we swap to the rear hitch on highways better mileage) for local travel we use the front hitch as we can access the camper door. A low lift for older backs)

Edited by buckland, 12 March 2024 - 10:06 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#14 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 12 March 2024 - 10:35 PM

I like JaSAn's idea. But you might consider mounting it to the bottom of the camper instead of the bumper -- if you can get enough purchase on the camper floorpack.

That Stingray -- geezer talk time -- our neighbors had one and I loved riding it. It was a blast popping wheelies. My record was 100 yards, but I had to accelerate the whole time. Since you were sitting over the rear wheel, it was pretty easy. I don't see how people can do sustained wheelies on road bikes, even though I used to ride a unicycle. We've seen Peter Sagan do them in the Tour of California.

Edited by rubberlegs, 12 March 2024 - 10:36 PM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#15 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 13 March 2024 - 12:46 AM

I had a Stingray bike too, with a banana seat, sissy bars and caliper brakes.  Now I've got hydraulic disk brakes! 

The mullet on my Levo is a 29" front and 27" rear.  It's taken me a while to get used to sharp switchbacks.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 March 2024 - 12:59 AM

Okay not sure of year 1967? converted my old little bike with a 'banana seat" and high bars. ... Same bike I got in 62...no gears... "pedal back" brake

Edited by buckland, 13 March 2024 - 01:00 AM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#17 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 13 March 2024 - 02:01 PM

The mullet on my Levo is a 29" front and 27" rear.  It's taken me a while to get used to sharp switchbacks.

I'm interested to try the new tire arrangement. I currently ride a Santa Cruz with 27"s and also a Specialized 29er. The mix sounds fun! I do like how the 29" tires roll over rocks, roots and ruts with ease. I went to the shop yesterday for a look at the Levo turbos, and they do seem like it would be a bear to mount in my suggested configuration. They are having smoking deals on them right now! This leads me to believe that a new model will released in our near future. Heading back to the shop on Saturday to meet with my buddy and see if I can get some inside info. It is my assumption that the new model will be lighter among other things. 

I would really like to get the full power instead of the SL for more range. The SL does offer a cool little battery extender that fits in the water bottle cage. This still is only 3/4 the range of the full power though.

#18 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 13 March 2024 - 02:02 PM

If you are at all handy cutting and drilling metal I'd just get a length of U channel (steel or stainless), width to fit tire inside.

Since most of the weight is on this platform you will need to attach and support it better than the one shown.

Positioned right the front fork clamp will not be carrying much weight.

I like this idea!

#19 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 14 March 2024 - 01:12 AM

I chose full power over the SL after demo'ing both bikes.  In truth most of my rides are ~15 miles.  I installed a 2000w inverter on our Hawk so I can recharge the bikes while camping.  With the 700wh battery I only need to recharge every three or four days.  The SL might require more charging time, if you ride a lot on trips.  I have only a 130w panel on the roof and 100w portable panel I use to supplement our solar charging.  

With the full power setup I find the extra oomph is amazing when in deep sand, mud or steep sections I would not have been able to ride previously.   I feel like I have the legs of a twenty year old, with the wisdom of a sixty+ year old pilot.  

I also came from Santa Cruz, riding a Heckler with 27s.  It was the was the only full suspension I had ever owned.  I rode the Downieville Descent and similar rides, back in the "good old days".   

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#20 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 14 March 2024 - 02:15 AM

Mr. rubberlegs, perhaps this could be posted over in the You know you're a geezer when......... topic.

This geezer rides a 17 lb carbon fibre road bike. Too old for that 38 lb steelie.

Edited by rubberlegs, 14 March 2024 - 02:16 AM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users