• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TacoBell

TacoBell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 01:59 AM

Thought I'd post my recent project up here in case others had questions or wanted to create something similar. I used a post here by ski3pin as a starting point for my build : https://www.wanderth...d-weather-pack/

If anyone is interested in the details let me know and I can get better pictures or a do a more informative writeup. I started the build having zero knowledge of sewing and learned/improved as I went so this is definitely a doable project! Total time spent was about one weekend ~20ish hours

Materials list:

Barricade Barrier Fabric (Seattle Fabrics) - similar to the fabric used in the link above ~7 yards ~$160

Adhesive/Sew-on velcro $100

Starting point - 1992 Hallmark LaVeta. It comes with a three-layer pop up material. Canvas-like material on the outside, a foam midlayer, and a thin polyester(?) inner. The inner layer durability is questionable and was falling apart when I got the camper so I cut it out. What you see is the foam midlayer.

gallery_13215_1631_25267.jpg

I started with creating four panels for each side of the camper with plans to cut-in the windows after test-fitting the panels. The panels attached on the top and bottom using adhesive velcro stapled into the ceiling/camper walls. The panels attached to each other using an overlapping tab of velcro on the end of each panel. I sewed buttonholes for all of the bungees that pulled the canvas inwards when putting the roof down.

gallery_13215_1631_32736.jpg
gallery_13215_1631_85807.jpg

Once I test-fit the panels, I used a bright external light to trace out the window outline. I then cut the windows out with a generous hem.

gallery_13215_1631_94852.jpg

I have heard of condensation issues between the thermal pack and the outer canvas before so i wanted to prevent that with this project by minimizing the ability of the humid air inside the camper to invade the air space in between the inner/outer layers. Each window has velcro on both sides. One side of the velcro mates with the velcro from the original window. Hopefully this prevents humid air from getting in between the layers. The original windows attach to the velcro on the interior side of the thermal pack. Hopefully this makes sense.

gallery_13215_1631_103518.jpg

Finished product

gallery_13215_1631_388223.jpg

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 April 2024 - 04:01 PM

Wow, nice work.  And good thought about moisture getting between the layers.  The arctic pack I have uses a breathable fabric, so moisture would get through anyway.   

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,347 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 April 2024 - 10:36 PM

Nicely done!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,598 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 April 2024 - 12:16 PM

That looks like superb work, well done!

I am haunted by waters

#5 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 05 April 2024 - 06:10 PM

Looks nice.

Please be aware that water vapor molecules are very small on the order of 0.27 nm in diameter. That is why water filters are able to filter out viruses that are 0.1 micron (100 nm) to .5 micron (500 nm) in diameter  You cannot keep water out using velcro or any fabric that can breathe.  Humid air will permeate every space. 

If there is a cool surface between the inside of the vinyl wall and the inside of the liner that is at or below the dew point water will condense on it.  In general, the higher the humidity the more water will condense on that cold surface.

The two main sources of water vapor are your breath and the biproduct of burning propane from a stove.  Your skin also continuously produces some water vaper through transpiration and most of the time it is imperceptible (referred to as insensible perspiration).

All of the OEM heaters are vented so they do not produce water inside the camper.

While there are many actions one can take to minimize condensation, it is very challenging to eliminate it in our pop up campers. Often out of sight is out of mind and when we do discover the condensation problem it comes with a surprise, such as wood damage, mold, etc. 

Therefore, I suggest that it is best to assume it will happen and to check for it and take measures to dry things out before closing up your camper.

The recommendations at the following link are applicable to all pop-up campers:

https://roofbunk.com...-in-a-roof-tent

P.S. We frequently check behind our liner and it is not at all unusual to find condensation on the inside surface of the main vinyl side.  We peel back the liner as far as necessary to access the areas with condensation and wipe down the side material, then air out  before closing up.  Seems to have mitigated musty smells and mold formation since we started doing that more than 5 years ago.

I hope this is helpful,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 08 April 2024 - 07:41 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 06 April 2024 - 12:22 PM

Awesome!!!

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 08 April 2024 - 02:22 PM

Wow, nice work.  And good thought about moisture getting between the layers.  The arctic pack I have uses a breathable fabric, so moisture would get through anyway.   

Agreed. Very cool. I did look up the Barrier fabric you used and Seattle Fabrics does say that it uses a "breathable film", so hopefully that will help with moisture issues.

I like your concept of having the original windows velcro to your new liner.

This is a project I keep thinking I should do, but something else keeps distracting me.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users