32 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:12 AM

I'd like to see a middle-ground - like patrolled and limited-access areas. However, after seeing the destruction at Trego Hot Springs at Blackrock Desert, and talking to some BLM people about certain natural treasures hidden away on private land for their protection - I would lean to the side of closure over risking the loss of more natural treasures to dumb rednecks.

#12 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:50 AM

I'd like to see a middle-ground - like patrolled and limited-access areas. However, after seeing the destruction at Trego Hot Springs at Blackrock Desert, and talking to some BLM people about certain natural treasures hidden away on private land for their protection - I would lean to the side of closure over risking the loss of more natural treasures to dumb rednecks.

That is exactly why I encourage responsible people to visit and/or join The Blue Ridge Coalition. I admit to being a bit of a cheer leader here, but they stand for many of the same things that I stand for. In there own words:

"The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national non-profit organization dedicated to preserving responsible recreational access to public lands and waters. We want to keep your land open for use, whether you recreate on a mountain bike, snowmobile, motorcycle, personal watercraft, ATV, four-wheel drive, horse, or your hiking boots.

Today, the BlueRibbon Coalition is a respected national recreation group that represents over 10,000 individual members and 1,200 organization and business members, for a combined total of over 600,000 recreationists nationwide.

#13 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

You do realize when they close it off to atvs and motorcycles they will close it off to everyone. Doesn't matter if your just trying to go camping with your family.

This is where folks fail to see the beauty of Wilderness, IMO. The land is closed to MOTORIZED vehicles...it isn't chained off and ALL use is prohibited.

you can still camp there, you just have to backpack or walk in. I know, i know, that's a far-fetched idea to most Americans who's idea of a hike is making it from the car to the door of Wal-Mart...but as someone who has had the opportunity to explore many of these areas in Colorado with a pack on my back, I KNOW the reason these areas are set aside are valid and....as others have said...if THAT is what it takes to keep the chowderheads from tearing it up...THAT is what needs to be done. (choice #2...a "bounty" on ATV's and their disrespectful riders)

Just like the Alpine loop trip...where every AM's silence and everyone's sleep was interrupted by idiots too lazy to hunt without four wheel under their ass....these things should be banned from public lands and restricted to motorized use areas.

great thread. Glad to see so many folks here with a solid respect for the land.

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#14 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:09 PM

This is where folks fail to see the beauty of Wilderness, IMO. The land is closed to MOTORIZED vehicles...it isn't chained off and ALL use is prohibited.

you can still camp there, you just have to backpack or walk in. I know, i know, that's a far-fetched idea to most Americans who's idea of a hike is making it from the car to the door of Wal-Mart...but as someone who has had the opportunity to explore many of these areas in Colorado with a pack on my back, I KNOW the reason these areas are set aside are valid and....as others have said...if THAT is what it takes to keep the chowderheads from tearing it up...THAT is what needs to be done. (choice #2...a "bounty" on ATV's and their disrespectful riders)

Just like the Alpine loop trip...where every AM's silence and everyone's sleep was interrupted by idiots too lazy to hunt without four wheel under their ass....these things should be banned from public lands and restricted to motorized use areas.

great thread. Glad to see so many folks here with a solid respect for the land.

mtn

Here, here mtn-high,

I've covered a lot of miles and peaks, backpacking this beautiful state and there will always be that option. No matter where we go in our forests, unless deemed wilderness, those "chowderheads" will ususally find a way to spoil a moment!
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#15 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

It really is a shame that a few make it bad for the more responsible. I ride dirt bikes in the desert alll the time, stay on the trails, shut down for horses, and give people respect but I also see beer cans, trucks cruising off road (sometimes basically blind at night), and often drunkenness. So we should ban all beer? I think our basic problem impacting the environment is that there are over 6 billion people, no one seems to talk about that. The earth would be much better off with only 10% of the current population.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#16 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Ed,

Cheers to you for picking up garbage. I also can usually fill a garbage bag at every camp we go to.

I have mixed feelings about this type of legislation, but I understand the necessity. If more people treated the outdoors with the respect that seems to be norm among members of WTW, it wouldn't be necessary.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#17 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

Ed,

Cheers to you for picking up garbage. I also can usually fill a garbage bag at every camp we go to.

I have mixed feelings about this type of legislation, but I understand the necessity. If more people treated the outdoors with the respect that seems to be norm among members of WTW, it wouldn't be necessary.

As mentioned, kudos to all of us who pick up trash. But this legislation is moreso directed at the damage (in some cases permanent) to the landscape from OHV's which, left unregulated could adversely affect ecosystems in specified areas. Although most folks who put the labor into backpacking into areas of interest are for the most part, more conscientious regarding trash, we will still have to clean up after others. Where there are people, there is trash.
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#18 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:55 PM

In my 30 years of wandering thru the redrocks of Utah, I have seen some pretty unbelievable damage wrought by OHV, uhm, "enthusiasts." If a person has a disability, I think that using an ATV to access the backcountry is completely legitimate. Physically able people who use them are just plain lazy.

My wife and I use our 4wd to access hiking trailheads. Up until very recently, we were tent campers. Now we have a lightweight pop up that allows us to get to trailheads in comfort. There are places that are completely inappropriate for our rig, or any motorized vehicle, and I believe the this law will protect many of them in the Great Basin.

There will be no shortage of vehicle-accessible desert backcountry should this legislation pass. The only thing we seem to be short of is thoughtful motorheads. <Putting soapbox back in the attic.>
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#19 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

I live in Utah and support this legislation.
Here is a link to the SUWA website that gives detailed information on the bill.

http://www.suwa.org/...ename=work_arwa

Look it over and inform yourself whatever your position on wilderness is.

Dsrtrat

#20 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

In my 30 years of wandering thru the redrocks of Utah, I have seen some pretty unbelievable damage wrought by OHV, uhm, "enthusiasts." If a person has a disability, I think that using an ATV to access the backcountry is completely legitimate. Physically able people who use them are just plain lazy.

Hear, hear, DurangoSteve. I do agree that ATVs are a solution to help mobility-impaired folks get "out there". Especially with electric ATVs. I actually had a Forest Ranger take me seriously when I suggested solar powered charging stations at developed campggrounds. Unfortunately, I rarely see an electric ATV out here. Their range is somewhat limited, so they aren't very popular. Also, I suspect that some people don't like going silently into the forest. :(

Now, I'm going to try to not start ranting on the snowmobiles driving over the XC ski tracks and driving away the wildlife ...

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users