22 replies to this topic

#1 Nosmo

Nosmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJune Lake, California

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:31 AM

Is a heater necessary in the Eagle model?

In such a small space won't body heat from two people be enough...say for desert winter camping, for a couple who are used to tent camping in Saine Valley over New Year's?

Cheers,

from new member Nosmo

#2 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

We find that we can sleep just fine in a cold camper with good down bags but for sitting around playing cards or whatever, we like some heat.
We use a small AC cube ceramic heater when we are plugged in and a small Black Cat propane catalytic tent heater when not plugged in....then only while we are up and about in the evening and morning. I stick a few propane canisters in one of the tiedown access holes for extras. This works for us just fine. Saves a great deal of room both in not having a furnace and not having a propane tank. Both heaters take up about half the space of the standard furnace. Our Eagle shell is small and we live in it for months at a time so are extremely aware of wasted space.
Brian

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:00 PM

I often did not use my heater while sleeping, but it was sure nice to turn it on in the morning so I could warm up while eating breakfast. I wouldn't go without one for that reason alone.

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:21 PM

I have a FWC Ranger with a heater and would not have a camper without one. Having any kind of heater is a great benifit you should consider. I scaled the thermostat down to 40 and it sure is great. The heater will dry out the moisture inside to keep things dry on those wet cold times.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

Besides keeping you all warm and cozy (and the wife happy) is to help to keep the camper dried out also. Condensation forms in the cold weather just from you breathing in the camper. Having some type of heat cuts down on the time of drying off the camper on those types of nights that you get condensation.

It doesn't take much to heat the camper. It is a very small area. There are a lot of aftermarket solutions to heating a camper instead of a stock heater. I had one customer who actually used his Coleman lantern to heat the camper. Not something that I would recommend though.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#6 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:32 PM

I bought my Hawk used and it came with the heater. I thought I would never use it, but I have. Mostly because it was there and it is such a convenience. I could have easily added another layer or sleeping bag. I don't know where the Saine Valley is, but if that was a typo and you mean the Saline Valley over New Year in a tent, I don't think you will have any discomfort without the heater.

#7 Blazer

Blazer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLompoc CA

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:56 PM

In 1988 I asked a couple camping in BC one wet September (chasing steelhead) how they liked their FWC camper, expecting the usual rave reviews and ready to show off my FWC Blazer... Well, they cussed and moaned because the camper was so wet inside they thought it was raining inside! It turned out that this was their first trip with the new camper, and they had not gotten the furnace option... so condensation was so bad that their vacation was ruined. So I agree with Ben, gotta have a heater of some kind to stay dry inside!

Most of my camping is in the fall and winter... I use a propane Coleman lantern hanging from the open vent to light and heat the camper in the evening while I read or tie flies, saving both bulk propane and 12 volt reserves... but with plenty of ventillation. While sleeping, I use the furnace turned down low.

I sure am happy to find these forums, and have learned a lot while lurking. Thank you to all.

Art
FWC '86 Blazer
Lompoc CA

#8 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:30 AM

When I was looking for a FWC, the number one requirement was a heater. I didn't really care about the rest too much. I like having the bulk tank as well and plan to add a T to the line to operate portable appliances.
Jim

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#9 homemade

homemade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:22 AM

Blazer,

Do you have photos of your camper and truck to post? I was wondering how your Chevy blazer stays dry inside and keeps the wind or wind noise out if you remove the cap and put a camper in. Is it sealed? Is there passthru from your Blazer to the camper?

Thanks

#10 Blazer

Blazer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLompoc CA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:56 AM

Homemade,

No camera here, nor ability to copy old FWC literature to show you...
FWC made similar versions for the Blazer, Bronco, (and scout, I think):
Remove (and sell, in my case) rear roof/shell and back seat; bolt on camper full time, not really meant to be taken on/off, but to replace stock rear roof.

Camper is open to the Blazer cab; nearly all of the interior access to the rear of the blazer becomes access to the camper. Camper has no floor, but floor plan much the same as the truck campers, with the bench seat/dinette attatched to the Blazer floor through the carpet. Where the pickup campers sit on the pickup bed walls, mine is bolted on in the same locations as the stock shell/rear-roof was bolted to the vehicle. The same seals used on the shell are used for the camper: no wind noise (well, a little wind noise after 20 years!) I hope this description makes sense; I guess I'll have to borrow a digital camera...

NorthCoastFishing posted an old brochure in a thread below, which has photo of the Bronco and Blazer FWC models; the fit was nice.

I bought both Blazer and camper separately, two years used in 1988, so both are getting a little shabby. I've replaced the liner and the reefer died, and I have the beginnings of the front edge fiberboard rot discussed in another thread, but I love the old girl... Hey Ben! Get the duct tape and baling wire out: I'm gonna need your help to keep her going!

I'm always glad to spot another FWC on the road, and I've followed them a time or two to swap yarns, and so I'm glad we have this place to meet and greet... thanks Aaron for the hospitality.

Art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users