#11 Nosmo

Nosmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJune Lake, California

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

Blazer,

Do you find it necessary to keep the heater going all night?

Are you that confident that suffocating (CO2) or poisonous (CO) buldup will not occur?

Cheers,

Nosmo

#12 Blazer

Blazer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLompoc CA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

While asleep I use the forced air furnace that came with the camper, ie. no combustion inside the camper, vents to the outside, so am confident (but then, I don't have a CO2 monitor... hmmmm...). I do keep in on all night, but set very low. I might mention that at night I hang a thick blanket over the large opening to the vehicle cab, for insulation.

I only use the lantern for heat while awake and with lots of ventillation... I'm usually hunkered close to it reading and such.

Art

#13 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

I have camped for years with a heater running at night while I sleep and there has never been a problem with CO2 build up. The heaters vent to the outside. I usually set the heater to the lowest setting while I sleep. I have found that anything higher using a sleeping bag is a bit to warm for me.

Art,

We have lots of duct tape. Might have to get some more wire for yours though. :)
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#14 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

I turn the heater on and turn it down. If it comes on over night great. It sure is nice to reach over in the morning and turn it up before getting out of the nice warm bag.

I rescaled the thromostat so 50 is now 40 degrees. I found 50 with warm bags is a bit too warm, but 40 to 44 is nicer. The heater will still come on and keep the water from freezing. Keeps the core from cooling down too much. Also keeps the dew point up inside for the moisture in the air.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:43 AM

Not that I think theres an issue with the stock heater, but I always keep a vent open. I have the two detectors that came with the camper, neither have ever gone off nor do I expect them to. I would like to reset my thermostat. 50 (or is it 55) is a bit too warm. But i imagine the dog likes it though. You'd think with today's technology they could make it quieter though.

#16 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

Thats why I'm thinking when I get my new camper I'm going with a shell and mounting my own $100.00 heater. I'll keep a vent and window cracked and let physics (heat rises) do the work of a fan. I did this when I had my old shell with an alcohol heat pal and it worked very well even in Death Valley in the dead of winter with snow on the ground. Very cozy at night with a cheap Coleman bag.

#17 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:18 PM

patrick,
how did you re-scale the thermostat....

that sounds like a good idea! (shhh...dont tell the wife)
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:52 AM

patrick,
how did you re-scale the thermostat....

that sounds like a good idea! (shhh...dont tell the wife)

Glad you asked Jeff.

I have an Atwood thermostat and if you take off the cover you will see the coiled metal. In the center this has a place to put a slotted screwdriver. It is just a matter of adjusting this center ring to be 10 degrees off. It is trial and error until you get it in the right place.

Below are a couple of pictures that show this.

I have the Suburban model on the New Kestrel in the garage that I have not looked at yet. When I do I’ll let you know.

Attached Thumbnails

• thermo1.jpg
  • thermo2.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:01 AM

Thats a right hand turn or left?

#20 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:34 AM

The lever mounts to the back of the coil. As you move the lever to the right the coil makes contact with the black square and the heat comes on. So if you hold the lever and turn the slotted to the left then it would take longer for the coil to cool and move to the right to call for heat. How far you will have to play with it.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users