• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#11 Paul_S

Paul_S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

Paul and Shari's mid 80,s cab-over outside the old train depot in Ryolite, NV. 2002 F-250, V-10, Air bags, 250 Kawi Mini Super Moto on Ultimate MX Hauler. We put about 15,000 Miles on last year Cal, Nv, Az, NM, Tx. Gets about 11 MPG running 70 - 75. Handles fine with the extra weight on the rear.

Attached Thumbnails

• 047.JPG

#12 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Here is a shot of my 8' NCO Alaskan Camper on a fishing trip to Lake Rufus Wood.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0291.JPG

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#13 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

Here is a shot of my 8' NCO on last years Elk hunting trip in the White Pass area of Washington State. I carry the propane bottles inside for travel and move them outside at the camping site. Two bottles last me 9 days of running the heater at night and cooking. Last year it was in the teens in the morning but inside my Alaskan Camper it was warm and snug. The only issue I have with the catalytic heater is the condensation I sometimes get on the metal window frames at lower temperatures. Incidentally, I strongly recommend that if you have a catalytic heater like mine, you install a carbon monoxide detector.

Attached Thumbnails

• Elk 2009.jpg

#14 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

Great shots of the campers guys, I would have loved having a full size door. How about posting some interior pictures of these rigs.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#15 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Great shots of the campers guys, I would have loved having a full size door. How about posting some interior pictures of these rigs.

I have some posted at; http://groups.yahoo....957133/pic/list

Mike

#16 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

Mike, I tried the posted link and they want me to start an account just to see your pictures, that's not going to happen so how about posting some here.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#17 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

Mike, I tried the posted link and they want me to start an account just to see your pictures, that's not going to happen so how about posting some here.

Here are a few pix of the inside of my 1964 NCO Alaskan Camper inside.

Originally, there was a cook top with drawers beneath. I removed the drawers and installed a stove top/oven combo. I then moved the drawers to the space beneath the sink. This required me to make a slot to accommodate the sink drain.

I then removed the icebox/wardrobe unit and covered the entire lower section with indoor/outdoor carpet.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0327.jpg
  • DSCN0328.jpg
  • DSCN0443.jpg
  • DSCN0446.jpg
  • DSCN0449.jpg

#18 Recurvearcher

Recurvearcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

Mike, I noticed your NCO is on what looks to be a Dodge 4X4 1500? If so, what sort of suspension modifications did you make? I'd be curious about your real world experience with your rig? I've been toying with the idea of picking up an 8' Alaskan NCO or CO for my 2003 Dodge 1500 4x4 with air bags. I thought it might be feasible if I gutted all the excess weight and rebuilt it along the lines of a solid walled FourWheel camper.
Recurvearcher ,Orange County Calif.

#19 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

Mike, I noticed your NCO is on what looks to be a Dodge 4X4 1500? If so, what sort of suspension modifications did you make? I'd be curious about your real world experience with your rig? I've been toying with the idea of picking up an 8' Alaskan NCO or CO for my 2003 Dodge 1500 4x4 with air bags. I thought it might be feasible if I gutted all the excess weight and rebuilt it along the lines of a solid walled FourWheel camper.

Here is my post in another section of this site: Alaskan Campers should really be mounted on a 3/4 ton truck. However, since I only have a 1/2 ton Dodge Ram with no new truck in the immediate future, it will have to do. I have a 1964 NCO Alaskan which weighs about 1500#. When I first installed it, the truck would sway and track something terrible. I solve the problem by installing heavy duty shocks. Seemed to fix the tracking and swaying. In addition, I installed 10 ply Dayton tires to deal with the extra weight. Add a 17' boat behind and it is a real workout for the old ram.
Mike.

#20 Spike38

Spike38

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:46 PM

Hello,

Love the Wanderthewest site. We have been life long campers and have run with a variety of camping vehicles. We started off with a CJ3B Jeep modifiyied heavily with a tent, gear, dog and fish stuff in the back, we went any where we wanted. I to this day don't know how we did that but we where younger then.
We made a big change to a Class C type motor home, what mistake that was but our backs sure did like the real bed compared the those Jeep days.
We then decided a truck type camper would be a solution to being able to pull the boat or a trailer and having a place to call home at night. We had the truck a 1996 Dodge 2500 4X4 (Willie is his name) so we looked and settled on an S&S Camper. This is a great unit and served use very well, but in a high wind situations in the winter going thru Wyoming its height gave us a trip we will never forget. Not that the wind blows in Wyoming but it tested our shorts and then some. We where blown sideways 2 lanes at 5 MPH into opposite side median on highway 287 just south of Laramie. All the time we had a 16' enclosed snowmobile trailer in tow. After our blood pressure lowered we chained up old Willie and pulled out of the small ditch with the truck and then worked the trailer back on the road with a small winch I carry. Thank god for studded tires on the truck and trailer.
After some discussion or was that the wife said “We are nuts and I for one won’t go thru this again" I made the suggestion of a popup camper. So after hours of research we decided on an Alaskan 8' or 10' cab over. We looked and looked and had talked to Brian Wheat many times and was almost ready to pop for a new unit when we found a 2008 10' that older couple had purchased and had to sell. Only problem the truck had to go with the camper and I did not want this truck, so we bought both and I sold the truck and came out dollars ahead.
We love this setup and have taken many a trip so far. Longest trip was to S. Dakota which was great. and the others are fishing and snowmobiling outings. We have made some modification for better winter camping and lower power usages. Old Willie loves the lower camper height and the fuel mileage is at 14 with just the camper and around 12 with either the boat or snowmobile trailer. Compaired to 9 to 11 with the S&S. This Alaskan camper has lived up to it reputation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users