• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

Okay guys I need more aggressive off-roading pictures to convince me that a hard-side can't get around, after finding these pictures from the White Rim Trail... :lol: :o

I don't think anyone is going to try and convince you either way, we'll just answer the questions and point out some tidbits for consideration each way to get what'll suit you the best and make your wandering a good time. ;)

And I agree that any camper is going to have moisture and condensation issues. However I am not one to worry about the weather, but I don't want to find pools of water when I raise the top or when I wake up in the morning.

I've never had issues with water getting into a camper with the top down to surprise me when it goes up. I do have a gasket on mine that some of the years didn't. I'd assume all the new ones have it. In cold weather you get some condensation on the sides and roof, that you need to wipe off w/ a rag so it doesn't get all over. Not sure how much that will change with a hard side camper. I suspect the bigger issue is heat sources while boondocking with either, since you're likely running a propane heater which you'll need to vent some. If you were plugged in somewhere running an electric heater to dry things out I could foresee it being less issue regardless of the rig, but thats not what we're talking about.

That is good to hear that you can sit up in the camper with the top down. It doesn't have to be extremely comfortable, just doable.

Yeah the stock height of the couch is fine for sitting inside & moving around. I've grabbed some shuteye at rest areas and such like this too. I'll pop the top to make some dinner then drop it and shut up the curtains to sleep stealth. Some conversions to put the height of it on the wheel well step might make things more interesting though.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#22 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:27 AM

I don't think anyone is going to try and convince you either way, we'll just answer the questions and point out some tidbits for consideration each way to get what'll suit you the best and make your wandering a good time. ;)

I appreciate it! That's all I'm after. I'm just trying to visualize how I would use a camper most of the time, and how I would deal with storage and organization in a pop-up.
The moisture and condensation would be an issue in anything, but I haven't had problems when spending time in motor homes and travel trailers. With a fwc I would have an arctic pack to keep a barrier, I just don't want mold and mildew issues with it. I grew up on the Oregon coast so I'm a little too familiar with mold.

Do you have any issues camping in snow? It seems like the snow would melt on the sides and be likely to freeze, is that a valid concern? How many of you use your campers year round?

A pop-up fits our lifestyle much better than a hardside in general, I just want to weigh our options.

I have another request if you guys aren't tired of my questions already. Help me understand your storage and space utilization when you head out for a week with your significant other. Are your clothes in bags under the couch? Food, bedding, etc.

Thanks for helping out and putting up with my questions!

#23 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

Storage is a continual concern. I removed my ice box to make more storage. You'll never have enough.

I had a full size camper. Inside shower and potty was nice. Lots more storage was nice. Ripping pieces of the camper off offroad not so nice. Sway and ten mpg not so nice. For me the popup is the solution. I use mine year round but not in extreme conditions and I don't find water/condensation to be a big deal.

This picture is what it looks like. Another inch or two higher and I'd have been backing down the trail. Try that in a hard side.

Posted Image

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#24 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:39 AM

Oh yes ... B)

Attached Thumbnails

• 113.JPG

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#25 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:45 AM

I appreciate it! That's all I'm after. I'm just trying to visualize how I would use a camper most of the time, and how I would deal with storage and organization in a pop-up.
The moisture and condensation would be an issue in anything, but I haven't had problems when spending time in motor homes and travel trailers. With a fwc I would have an arctic pack to keep a barrier, I just don't want mold and mildew issues with it. I grew up on the Oregon coast so I'm a little too familiar with mold.

You'll want to air out your rig after use either way in the PNW I would think. I store mine with desiccant in it and haven't had issues yet (owned a year).

Do you have any issues camping in snow? It seems like the snow would melt on the sides and be likely to freeze, is that a valid concern? How many of you use your campers year round?

I forget what the temp is from reading about the turtle expedition but at some point low temperature becomes a concern due to brittle issues with the fabric but this was in a Russian winter that it was a concern, I don't think most of the lower 48 you really need to worry much. I've had mine in the snow a couple times, and didn't get any more build up on the sides that you'd expect out of a vertical surface. Our intent is to use the camper more year round but I've got a son due any day so it put a damper on the winter snowboard trips since the wife couldn't come out and ride.

Main moisture issue I had was out hunting in the fall getting soaked through in the rain and then coming in and having wet gear all over the camper, obviously it created a bunch of condensation on the windows & humidity in there but I'm thinking any camper that size would have been similar. A larger travel trailer w/ a generator going to power heaters constantly and you'd likely not have it as rough but we're in a different class at that point. Running the heater in the FWC constantly also helps but you're likely not going to be carrying the batteries to match that for a week trip for instance so you'd likely need a generator to supplement things (if that was the case I'd also likely run a electric space heater while the generator was running and get a more even temperature in there as the propane throws a lot of heat quick but tends to be a bunch of on/off due to it).

I have another request if you guys aren't tired of my questions already. Help me understand your storage and space utilization when you head out for a week with your significant other. Are your clothes in bags under the couch? Food, bedding, etc.

Thanks for helping out and putting up with my questions!

I've got an extended cab truck and had a slider window installed in it. It allows us to keep some clothes and food items in the truck and reach through to grab them as needed.

Refridgables in the fridge, pantry stuff in the lower cabinets (I turned them into drawers), utensils & ziplocks and such in the drawer, and some more bulk cooking and food stuff under the sink. In the cabinet over the couch I keep cards, cribbage board, books, mini DVD player, Ipod & speakers, toiletries, wet wipes, TP, etc.

Under the couch: Batteries, AX, folding shovel, bow saw, pie irons, camp chairs, drain hose & 3gal bucket (for gray water and an emergency bathroom, put a bag in it w/ kitty litter then seal up), and usually some clothes, water jugs, etc.

Pillows are usually on top of the countertop when the top is down and the bedding is folded up in the space between the counter & front of the camper (~8" if I recall) or sleeping bags are just on the floor/couch in stuff sacks if we have colder weather down bags along.

Snow boards fit in the extended cab area of my truck when those are along.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#26 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

Thanks pods!
Nice work on your camper upgrades too, by the way.

#27 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

Or could do..

Not that you would...but you could... :P

Posted Image

Too much fun

#28 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

Will that XP make it through the drivethrough at in n out??

Thats one place the FWC/ATC folks can navigate rather easily(now I'm salivating)...Hard sider??? Park and go in
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#29 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

Thats one place the FWC/ATC folks can navigate rather easily(now I'm salivating)...Hard sider??? Park and go in

Thats an option thats more important than you might think. Its easy to forget the camper is on there:)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#30 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:27 AM

Oh yeah; been to quite a few of them in the last year :P

I also had it in several parking garages...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users