• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:09 AM

Gene I put your same Dodge trans into my (not any more) 83 toyota pu. With the dual transfer boxes I had 215:1 crawl. I just loved that transmission.Posted Image

With money and some work the Toyotas can have a lower crawl rato. I do like the older Dodge diesel trucks.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#52 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:03 AM

I must admit that I didn't buy my Ford Super Duty due to any mechanical superiority. I believe the purchase of any new truck is a long-term commitment to the company of choice.

I went looking for a Dodge dealership....and the one in my city closed. Then the next two I went looking for were closed also. I went on to find out that Dodge closed many dealerships to stay afloat. So, I decided I didn't need a Fiat truck that much.

Then....looking at the Chevys.....they closed 1/3 of their dealerships too.....and I didn't want to buy a truck from a company half owned by the government. We all know how efficient the government is.

So, it boiled down to Ford....since they were the most financially well positioned of the big three. That's what drove my decision. I bought the 100K warranty....but that doesn't do you any good if your company goes out of business. I also didn't want to go to 5 different cities trying to locate a dealership for any warranty issues.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#53 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:11 AM

THX for the insights : )

I'm not at all biased on the "Big Three" automakers and still in the research mode.
One thing i know we will just have to pay-the-price for is an automatic trany no matter which truck we get. My wife and i are spoiled with auto transmission use. So far we've not had any issues. I know she would not sign off on a manual transmission truck. We both drove a TACO manual the same day as the auto, the TACO manual was the pits to drive for us. And in the area we live would have gone through at least a clutch if not more during the first 24K miles before we sold it. Think San Francisco but with icy conditions in the winter here on the Oregon coast.

Happy Trails,
Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#54 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:06 AM

Talking about a full size truck and a Tacoma is kind of silly, they are in different league and all about your needs. I personally moved over to a 2007 CC 4x4 Tacoma after selling my Ford 2006 4x4 CC diesel. I loved the diesel big roomy and carry anything but I no longer needed all the room or carrying capacity so a Tacoma was my choice. The Tacoma gets 17/18 around town and not sure on the highway yet, my diesel was 15/16 around town and 17/18 highway but it was lifted winch and other crap. Would I put a 4WC on a Tacoma having driven it for a little while probably not, on a full size without question.I have decide to go light and nimble and having the ability to drive both trucks they are no where in the same league. I am very happy with my Tacoma plenty of power and comfort but it is not like my full size but I new that when I bought it.

#55 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

I agree with leadsled if you buy a Ford Diesel get the 100K warranty. And lik him be sure you're near a Ford dealership. You'll need it. The Ram drive train is already warranteed for 100K. Ford bought back both my brother in law and my step daughter's Ford diesels. Of course they had to get attorneys and didn't have the use of their trucks for months. Actually you might just want a Fiat as a back up.

I'm just sayin'

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#56 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

Actually you might just want a Fiat as a back up.

I'm just sayin'

Several of my friends who used to own Fiat trucks now own Ford trucks. They couldn't keep a tranny in them. One friend in particular has 80K on his truck and has had the transmission replaced THREE times.

I'm just sayin'

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#57 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

I don't have any idea why people make disparaging remarks about Fiat. I was a professional mechanic in Switzerland where I had the opportunity to work on many brands not available here. The Fiats were fantastic vehicles. The merger of Fiat and Chrysler will likely result in a Jeep pickup with diesel and maybe a compact diesel Dodge truck as well. The Fiat Campagnolo is an amazing 4wd I saw all over the Sahara Desert in my travels there. Nissan was #1 throughout the Saharan countries with Fiat close behind, Toyota and Land Rover following. If we are lucky enough to get these Fiats in the States, I'm buying one! 35 MPG diesel, super low gears, full floating axles, 4 wheel independent suspension, you can take this truck apart and reassemble it in the the field with simple hand tools!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2f80ae89f37770ffc659af6a11439393-1.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#58 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

I don't have any idea why people make disparaging remarks about Fiat.

I shouldn't have made a blanket statement like that. I appologize to anyone who may have had their feathers ruffled. I shouldn't have bitten on the previous post about Fords....I just had a "gut" reaction.

All brands have their good points and bad.

The point I was trying to make (then I'll get off my soap box) is that one must consider the financial status of the company they are about to make a long-term commitment too by purchasing a vehicle. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time....so I want a company that will be around for a while.

#59 Ballarat Bandit

Ballarat Bandit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:11 AM

I shouldn't have made a blanket statement like that. I appologize to anyone who may have had their feathers ruffled. I shouldn't have bitten on the previous post about Fords....I just had a "gut" reaction.

All brands have their good points and bad.

The point I was trying to make (then I'll get off my soap box) is that one must consider the financial status of the company they are about to make a long-term commitment too by purchasing a vehicle. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time....so I want a company that will be around for a while.

Fiat owns Ferrari which sponsors quite a formidable F1 team. Their budget for that alone probably make Maharinda (sp) look like paupers. Anywho!

#60 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:10 AM

We have a guy in India right now negotiating with Maharinda. The trip only costs a billion dollars, which is nothing. Look, a billion dollars will only buy about 25,000 Dodge diesels. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users