61 replies to this topic

#41 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

If Ford put a small diesel in a Ranger I would be the first in line.

Not sure about Mahindra. Don't think there will be much for dealer support for a long long time, if it does take off.

Ford would also need to increase the Ranger payload quite a bit for it to be useful to camper owners.

#42 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

The disclaimer: The article is dated but discusses Ranger Diesels available elsewhere.

http://www.nextautos...-a-glimpse-2011

I don't know how the stated towing capacity compares to payload capacity but 3000kg is roughly 6615lb.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#43 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:05 AM

At this point I am forced to conclude that the lack of availability of these engines is a conspiracy between the automotive and oil companies. Nothing else makes sense. And I'm sick of it.

I have a friend in the auto business, and here is his idea.

If we all started driving cars that got better milage, e.g. diesels, tax revenue would go down. (Think about how heavily gas is taxed.) If the tax revenue from gas went down, the politicians would need to find a new revenue stream. And nobody wants to be the guy that is raising taxes.

Think about it. There has to be a reason we can not get a car like the Ford Fiesta diesel, it gets something like 75 mpg! And for a long time we could not get the Smart cars, even though everybody is driving them in Europe, and a fair number are in Canada.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#44 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

Don't overlook the European tax structure on cars. There has been a lot of incentive in Europe to buy smaller cars for a long time. Here in America, we have had the F150 as the largest selling vehicle for a while and it isn't all business use. It is far more complex than just new tax streams. The larger vehicles were (are) cash cows for the auto industry. Witness the rebates and price cuts when the auto industry hit the wall. Margins on smaller vehicles are not as large. With no government emphasis on fuel efficient vehicles, Detroit did not feel the need to make strides on fuel economy. We will see what the (reluctantly passed) new CAFE standards will do for improving what we can buy.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#45 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

Agreed DD,

The options just are not great. My T-100's tranny just coughed up blood after 226,000 miles and I need to buy a new truck. My plan was to go with a 99'-2003' 7.3 liter diesel F-250 or 350 but the price for used is so high compared to a Toyota tundra gasser and the F-250 is so damn big for a daily driver and for some back country travel. I have to have four doors because I drive clients in my rig from time to time and I wanted the excess capacity of a 3/4 ton but the reality of driving that beast every day and giving up the Toyota reliability I am comfortable with kills me. Also I can buy a 2007 Tundra with 28k miles on it for what it would cost to get a 2002 F-250 with 100k on it.

There's just no good choice.....damn that T-100 for finally crapping out on me!
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#46 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

It is far more complex than just new tax streams.

The dealerships in America would need to get re-tooled and trained to work on diesels.

Not sure why the luxury car makers bring diesels over, but we can not get normal cars and trucks in a diesel option.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#47 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

I think it's a matter of time because these vehicles are already in most parts of the world, except of course the US. I rented a sporty Audi diesel in Europe it was a lot of fun to drive and got amazing gas mileage. As soon as a small truck diesel or a true truck hybrid comes out I will buy it to haul my Eagle. We currently import 75% of our fuel, so if you think gas prices are not going up your dreaming. The only reason fuel prices now aren't 5 dollars a gallon now is because of the recession and lagging demand, that will change soon.

That's exactly right.......we should be demanding this and not settle for anything less!

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#48 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

Gentlemen, I have had a 03 F-250 PS, towing a boat with an Alaskan camper on it. 17-19mpg....now, for the moment, that's not bad...BUT

There are things happening that you younger members will see come to fruition in your lifetime. maybe not us old guys

The Air Force has 3/4 ton pickups in ALL Electric right now....not much range but they have them.

Colorado has the first all electric transit system with tour buses...right now...big time torque

UQM has developed neodymium, brushless motors capable of delivering enough torque to be used in Dump trucks and Garbage trucks....and 25kw generators in a 7"d x 7" package

The military is testing heavy tanks with all electric running for 30 minutes before they go back to diesel

EESTOR.....if it ever comes to reality....which it just might...will revolutionize the power storeage industry entirely

Call me a dreamer....all you doubting Thomas's....but I'm looking forward to an all electric 250 with a 500 mile range and at least 100 mpg...unrealistic.....maybe today/right now......but I'm sure looking forward to it :rolleyes: ...while driving my F-250 D

My son is looking to buy his first new car....wants a 5 door hatchback with a turbo diesel...and he's unwilling to spend money on anything else....get a whole crew of consumers together and make the case....maybe in 5 years...if they feel like it

BTW...I tried to buy a Toyota turbo diesel in 1976...they had them........in Africa...efficient...OMG...but not here....

Politics/economic turmoil/ downright refusal....and I know it's been said...collusion

Meanwhile...back on the ranch...we'll be paying the price to travel around....just got back from BC...$1.12/liter for diesel :blink:

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#49 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

My wife and i shopped for a truck in 2006/2007 and finally purchased a Tacoma 4x4 v6 in late 2007. We frankly didn't even consider a full sized truck more due to past great history with Toyota's than any other reason. We niavely thought that the smaller imports like the TACO would get resonable milage over and above what a full sized truck would get. We were sure dissapointed to realize 16 when towing a 2500lb pop-up trailer, and only 20 combi town/hwy milage...then to make matters worse a co-worker sharing their 2500 dodge max-crew getting 21 all the time. Sure the max was more than our TACO, but it is also alot more truck! Sooooo.....we sold the trailer and the Taco, saving our money, and will most likely purchase a ford psd this spring/summer. No more small imports for us in the truck category (my 10 year old toyota echo still gets ave 38mpg and looks new).

----shifting gears to another mention in this thread...the idea of how much _truck_ one needs to do what many of us enjoy...fire trails, dirt roads, etc while exploring the back counrty.

We had fun in our TACO down what turned into quad trails, though i'm not so sure we couldn't have done the same trailes in a full size truck. And once one gets to an F250/2500 etc...they are the same width as a turtle VI, or within a 1/2 foot. So how big is to big?

just pondering.
Cheers,
Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#50 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

Thom,

About truck size. I used to have small import trucks myself. When the family got bigger and I realized diesel trucks got better mileage than imports, I opted for a Dodge CTD. I had wondered if traveling the difficult class 4 and 5 roads would be a problem. Well, after all these years, I have found the greater ground clearance and especially the super low gears of a manual Dodge (75 to 1 ratio) to perform on these class 5 roads much better than my Toyota/Nissan/Isuzu variants. The Toyota was about 40:1, the Isuzu 40:1 and the Nissan 28:1. With the Dodge's 75:1 crawl ratio and the diesel's full power at 1800 RPM, I can creep slowly over any terrain that left my Toyota slipping the clutch and breaking loose. I have a friend with a manual trans 2006 Tacoma. He comes on most trips with me. On the difficult parts of the trails he has to slip his clutch (I am sure it'll need replacement soon) even in his low gears, as I idle through in my high gears (which are still lower than his low gears). And then, when we hit the gas station, he actually used more fuel than I did!

You are going to love having a full size. I don't want to start a truck war here, but having been a professional mechanic, I could not own the Ford. What I see under the hood of the PSD is a mechanics nightmare. What I see under the hood of the Dodge is a very reliable, easy to service engine. Ford now only come with automatic trans'. An automatic is the single most likely to fail, most complicated and expensive part of the truck. An auto trans can fail without warning and usually does. On the other hand, a manual almost never fails and if it does, you had plenty of warning. The manual also gives you the super low gears. The Dodge has a very tight turning radius making it drive like a small truck. Whatever you choose, you'll never go back to a mini-truck unless it is a diesel (if we ever get em').

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users