19 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:46 AM

Wow that's crazy Mark! I've been pretty luckily with rattlers out here. It's been 10 years since I have seen one.

#12 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:01 AM

Man, that seems like a really cool area to explore. Love the vistas....Could see myself finding a nice place to take in the views by day, then watch the stars at night. Almost a shame to sleep in the camper with views like that.

Nice photos. If you have more, would love to see them. Keep it up!

Dave in Seattle....where the clouds don't seem to want to end.....

#13 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

More exciting to me, though was the taking of the photos. I pulled over to the edge of US 395 and walked across to the fence with my camera. As I approached the fence I heard a familiar noise and saw a familiar sight -- a coiled rattlesnake giving me its traditional greeting! Here are a couple of pictures of the cutie. I think snakes are cool -- even rattlesnakes. Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Great photos of the buzz worm, Mark!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

Great photos of the buzz worm, Mark!

Mark, thanks for the report and photos, really enjoying them! We do love the buzz worms too.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

This is a really cool looking spot, and its soo close to home. I must have been by that area a dozen times, but have never thought to head back in there. The photos really paint a picture.
Nice shots of the snake too. Peraonally, I think they are a little creepy and I am a little paranoid for my pups. Might have to leave them home when I go.
Thanks for sharing the great pics.

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#16 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

This is a really cool looking spot, and its soo close to home. I must have been by that area a dozen times, but have never thought to head back in there. The photos really paint a picture.
Nice shots of the snake too. Peraonally, I think they are a little creepy and I am a little paranoid for my pups. Might have to leave them home when I go.
Thanks for sharing the great pics.

Thanks.
RE Rattlers: I don't see them very often, and I doubt that there are more in the Abert Rim area than there are in lots of other places in the West. Much of the year it's too cold for them to be active anyway.

I see you're a fellow Bendite (or is it Bender?). :)

By the way:
Are people familiar with Don Bain's Virtual Guidebooks? He's done a really incredible effort creating VR panoramas all over the West (and beyond) -- over 7000 of them!!. Including along the base of Abert Rim /Abert Lake.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#17 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:51 AM

By the way:
Are people familiar with Don Bain's Virtual Guidebooks? He's done a really incredible effort creating VR panoramas all over the West (and beyond) -- over 7000 of them!!. Including along the base of Abert Rim /Abert Lake.

Wow, that's impressive!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#18 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

More Oregon goodness, love it!

Very nice images - :)

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#19 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:07 PM

Great trip report and photos!!! Little disappointed you couldn't get a close up of that snake!!!! :D
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#20 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Great trip report and photos!!! Little disappointed you couldn't get a close up of that snake!!!! :D

Thanks, Silvertip.
I'm pleased with how the snake photos turned out. I credit my new VR (vibration reduction) Nikon lens which let me get a pretty-sharp photo even though it was hand-held at telephoto length (~ 128mm equivalent).
I didn't have time to get to know the snake well enough that he'd let me use a macro lens... Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users