Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Even TCM got on this bandwagon https://www.truckcam...rs-for-camping/

#202 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

And it was Old School Percolator that was most used.  At least Aeropress came in third.

Bill, I really like the Rocket, spoiled.  Maybe it was the 4 batteries and 6 solar panels it would take to operate that stopped them from including it in the campers.

#203 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:48 PM

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00VWHNPUC
https://www.sierratr...-processed=true

#204 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:37 PM

. . . I do like my morning coffee though so I make it in camp the same as at home - a Melitta single cup filter holder (the inexpensive plastic version) . . .

GSC or some other kind soul: would you mind explaining how you get a decent cup of coffee out of the Melitta single cup filter holder?

I put 2 TBS of coffee into the filter, add ~ 3 oz. of hot water to wet the grounds, wait ~ 30 seconds, add another 6 oz. of hot water and let it filter through.  What I get is a weak tea like cup of coffee, grounds coating the sides of the filter, and very little coffee on the bottom of the filter.  Doesn't seem to matter what brand or grind of coffee I use.

I'm about ready to go back to cowboy coffee and use the Melitta to filter out the grounds as I pour into my cup.

Thanks, jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#205 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:58 PM

Coffeemaker?

That would be me....we had no heater in the old Alaskan (and none in the new/old one) so I bravely got up as fired up the stove under the coffee pot.

I went with an old-school aluminum drip version, the one with a glass knob on top you can see the coffee bubble up into it. It has a stem in the middle and a basket with a top that allows the boiling water to pass through the coffee grounds. A simple system...and I set it up the night before so all I had to do was add flame to it:

1) Decide how much you want. For us that would be two cups each so I would put two cups plus a half into the pot.

2) Experiment with your favorite coffee grounds for that amount of water at home BEFORE you hit the happy highway.

3) While you decide if one scoop or two per cup suits your coffee jones, you also have to decide how long to let it bubble.

4) After getting the correct amount of H2O, the correct amount of grounds and have decided how long to brew it by using a stopwatch at home....try it in the camper since the BTUs of your camper will probably be much less than the stove at home.

5) Finally, whenever you make coffee all you have to do is to get out of your warm bed, fire up the stove under the pot and dial in the egg timer you have (or your cell phone timer) to notify you when you have to get back out of bed to turn off the fire so you don't mess up that perfect cup of Java.

6) Then pour two cups for you and the Mrs. and shake off the chill because your stove has now probably raised the temperature in there a good 5-10 degrees even with the vent over the stove cracked open.

7) I still like the insulated drink cups as they are less likely to spill and will hold whatever amount you choose. The second cup for each of us is with breakfast.

Oh yeah, I happen to like to use bottled water for coffee (no chlorine in it, calcium, etc.), Then the choice of grounds is up to your flavor buds and how strong as well.

Happy Caffeine Camping.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#206 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

GSC or some other kind soul: would you mind explaining how you get a decent cup of coffee out of the Melitta single cup filter holder?

I put 2 TBS of coffee into the filter, add ~ 3 oz. of hot water to wet the grounds, wait ~ 30 seconds, add another 6 oz. of hot water and let it filter through.  What I get is a weak tea like cup of coffee, grounds coating the sides of the filter, and very little coffee on the bottom of the filter.  Doesn't seem to matter what brand or grind of coffee I use.

I'm about ready to go back to cowboy coffee and use the Melitta to filter out the grounds as I pour into my cup.

Thanks, jim

Well, I would start by doubling the amount of coffee.  I use 25g for one 8oz cup in my Aeropress, and do the same when camping, but in a Melitta.  Apparently the Optimum ration is more like what you use:

"The optimum ratio is 8.25 grams of coffee per 150 ml of water, as this conforms to the mid-point of the optimum balance recipes for the Golden Cup."

http://www.scaa.org/...pping-protocols

#207 cherbinger@frontiernet.net

cherbinger@frontiernet.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:47 AM

Starbucks packets are the bomb using my jet boil. Takes about 14 ozs, boils in 90 secs then water in my portable thermo mug with one Starbucks packets. Garenteed to wake you up!

#208 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

The starbucks packets just taste like any old instant coffee to me. I do need to go get some more coffee. Thanks for the reminder.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#209 Ronski

Ronski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Rocket Appartamento espresso machine, Rocket Fausto grinder, and Stumptown coffee for home.  Aeropress with permanent filter and manual grinder and stump town coffee for camper.  And hammock camping Medaglia Dora instant.  Always with REI insulated cup.  Love a good cup in the morning.

Nice shot of Davis Lake Cuervo.  Drowned a lot of flies there in the old days, very pretty spot. 

Nice! What an awesome setup for home and in the camper. It's amazing what a great job the very inexpensive Aeropress does.

#210 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

This came across my Facebook feed. I decided it was perfect for our Phoenix.

https://www.kickstar...ss-french-press

I backed a 1/2 liter version. I like the idea of a more simple cleanup option, and the double wall construction. A bit fancy for the camper, but at the backer price I took the plunge! The project is fully funded, with space still available, but it is filling up fast.

trout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users