• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#211 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

Hi trout I checked it out and just like a shining lure I bit on a silver 1 liter model. I liked the timer on the handle. Hope it’s a bit easier than the aero for 4 cups. Never did a kickstart so I am wishing it happens?

#212 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:27 AM

Hebegebe,

There is no guarantee. Essentially you are funding a startup when you pledge your money. The funding goal here was $20,000 and currently they have raised $440,000! I have done this twice before, once for a hand coffee grinder and once for a fermentation temperature control device for home brewing. Both were successful and I received my promised product (the coffee grinder did take a while.)

Trout

#213 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:21 AM

I bit for the 1/2 liter. My first kickstarter as well. This will compete with my aeropress.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#214 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

It sure looks like they have their "duck in a row" to start producing. I'm anxious for the kickstarter to end, but it goes into March.

Trout

#215 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:11 PM

Over the years we've tried every coffee brewing device that has come our way, and in this coffee addicts humble opinion nothing holds a flame to the tried and true Moka Express.

I found this one  in a thrift store in Waldport Oregon while on a motorcycle trip a decade and a half ago for $10. Made in Italy and still going strong today. I ordered a set of replacement gaskets (which shipped from Portugal for around $5) a few years ago, but that's about it. It's large enough to brew 2 perfect cups of coffee at one time. Even with available shore power, we rarely use anything other than our trusty old Moka Express

Attached Thumbnails

• Moka Express.jpg

Edited by trikebubble, 19 February 2018 - 10:12 PM.

#216 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:27 PM

A few years back we were on the road and needed a coffee device. We stopped at an old-fashioned hardware store in Port Angeles which also carries a lot of outdoor gear. It turned out to be kind of like an old local department store with an outdoor flavor. Anyway I had never used a percolator but liked the size and quality of the GSI stainless percolator they had there, and I also liked the "old-fashioned" feel. I think I spent about 30 bucks on it. I ended up liking the coffee it makes so much that occasionally I will use it at home. There is something about the percolation method that makes bold, rocket fuel style coffee. For those that don't know how they work, as the water in the main body boils, it goes up a tube and is fanned out across the grounds. As coffee percolates down through the grounds, it goes back into the main body, where it joins the rest of the water/coffee. So once it starts going, you are making coffee with coffee. It doesn't take long to have a strong pot of coffee.

#217 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

A few years back we were on the road and needed a coffee device. We stopped at an old-fashioned hardware store in Port Angeles which also carries a lot of outdoor gear. It turned out to be kind of like an old local department store with an outdoor flavor. Anyway I had never used a percolator but liked the size and quality of the GSI stainless percolator they had there, and I also liked the "old-fashioned" feel. I think I spent about 30 bucks on it. I ended up liking the coffee it makes so much that occasionally I will use it at home. There is something about the percolation method that makes bold, rocket fuel style coffee. For those that don't know how they work, as the water in the main body boils, it goes up a tube and is fanned out across the grounds. As coffee percolates down through the grounds, it goes back into the main body, where it joins the rest of the water/coffee. So once it starts going, you are making coffee with coffee. It doesn't take long to have a strong pot of coffee.

I also like my little percolator. Liking your catch phrase "you are making coffee with coffee " or you could just say Bada bing Bada boom.
:) Sorry i just woke up and could not resist.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#218 la_morris

la_morris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:02 PM

I was looking for a manual coffee grinder (for camping -- I love my Capresso Infinity burr grinder at home) on the biggest online retailer, and one of the "related" products of the search was this Aerobie AeroPress.
There's a long and detailed explanation/description of why this is better than all other coffee-making approaches. 543 reviews with an average rating of 4.5/5 is what those users say, and it's under $30! So, I ordered one tonight.
Just wish I had paid attention to your recommendation a few days ago so I could have had my AeroPress to play with this weekend.
Thanks, Deltarat. smile.gif

Now can anyone recommend their favorite manual/hand-crank coffee grinder?
(OK...I looked back a few posts and found one -- thanks Carlyle smile.gif )

I have the same grinder at home. Camping, I'm equally happy with my mini Porlex grinder and AeroPress. Very nice morning ritual.

#219 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 02:51 AM

I also like my little percolator. Liking your catch phrase "you are making coffee with coffee " or you could just say Bada bing Bada boom.
:) Sorry i just woke up and could not resist.

Russ

The funny thing is that after I wrote that post, we went out on our maiden FWC trip, along with my trusty percolator and I found my thoughts turning to the dark side......instant espresso. My parents had their trusty jar of Medaglia Doro instant espresso powder and I'll be damned if I didn't run into town half way through the trip and buy a jar of it for us.

#220 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

The funny thing is that after I wrote that post, we went out on our maiden FWC trip, along with my trusty percolator and I found my thoughts turning to the dark side......instant espresso. My parents had their trusty jar of Medaglia Doro instant espresso powder and I'll be damned if I didn't run into town half way through the trip and buy a jar of it for us.

Haha!
I see that I'm not the only one.
At home I enjoy making a good pot of coffee on the weekend when I have the time to do so.
When I go camping it's all about simplicity for me so a good instant like Medaglia Doro just works...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users