98 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:20 AM

Heh, I'm the same way. I keep wanting to build a cabinet like Deltarats but I already have enough firewood. Otoh, my Jeep projects are coming along well. Those involve steel though.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:56 AM

It's coming along. Iv'e got the aluminum mounts on the truck. The diamond plate tool box extension comes in tomorrow and I plan to mount it this weekend. Still cutting and shaping the foam too. I will post updates on Sunday or Monday on hookedupfilms.com.

I guess since there is no wood in this build I won't have the firewood comment. It will probably be more like "beer can scrap" or something.

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#13 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:29 AM

Hello everyone! Just an update on the Hooked Up Films Camper Build. We now have most of the lower section assembled and just about ready for the carbon fiber wrap. Very Exciting. So far no mishaps or dismemberment. Whew!

There are all new videos and blogs on www.hookedupfilms.com if you want to see how the project is coming.

Windows and materials are showing up daily. This is alot of work, but really fun too. I am starting to think the final product might be actually taking out in public. We will see I guess.

#14 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Very ambitious I like it.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

Just caught up on your build, very cool.

Not ever having worked with carbon fiber before myself I'm wondering how easy it is to lay up the resin smoothly (or are you waiting to find out yourself? ;p)

In the future if I'm heading south (or vice versa) I'd love to check this thing out and discuss your thoughts on the whole thing.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#16 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

Just caught up on your build, very cool.

Not ever having worked with carbon fiber before myself I'm wondering how easy it is to lay up the resin smoothly (or are you waiting to find out yourself? ;p)

In the future if I'm heading south (or vice versa) I'd love to check this thing out and discuss your thoughts on the whole thing.

Ya me too. I started testing the carbon fiber/kevlar material yesterday. It's pretty tempramental stuff. It doesn't take much to goof up the weave. I think it will look pretty good in the end though. We will see.

I'd love to hook up sometime and chat. Maybe when I'm a little further along. Thanks for the interest.

#17 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

Ya me too. I started testing the carbon fiber/kevlar material yesterday. It's pretty tempramental stuff. It doesn't take much to goof up the weave. I think it will look pretty good in the end though. We will see.

I'd love to hook up sometime and chat. Maybe when I'm a little further along. Thanks for the interest.

Very interested to see how the vertical applications go. The build definitely gets my tinkering side fired up and is giving me some ideas.

By the way you mentioned the color issue & heat retention so you went over to the carbon/kevlar blend. I take it your currently aren't planning to paint the camper? Otherwise the color of the material wouldn't really matter once covered by paint.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#18 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:01 AM

I plan on having Coyote RV build me a custom pop-top some time this winter for use in ski area parking lots. From the research I've done: most rigid foam insulation is R5=1" and doubling the thickness does not always double the R value. If you plan on any extreme winter use then 10,000 btu furnace may not be adequate and 1 10lb. propane bottle won't be either. I think the 10lb. tanks are hard to find and very expensive.
1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#19 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Very interested to see how the vertical applications go. The build definitely gets my tinkering side fired up and is giving me some ideas.

By the way you mentioned the color issue & heat retention so you went over to the carbon/kevlar blend. I take it your currently aren't planning to paint the camper? Otherwise the color of the material wouldn't really matter once covered by paint.

This has been a very interesting learning experience. The information on CF and Kevlar is really poor when it comes to thermodynamics. I made a test piece on the foam and then went about testing heat tolerance. Started with open flame = no burning, but got pretty hot. No resin breakdown though. Then I set it in front of a wall heater for about 30 min. cranked up on high and it again got hot, but no resin softening. Then I set it out in the direct sun for 2 hours and again, it got hot to touch, but no resin softening or delamination.
I have found a resin that is tested up to 180 degrees F. I may use that on the outside and the the west system epoxy on the inerior. Also I plan to shoot the whole thing with UV protectant clear coat. That will help with the yellowing effect.
At some point, I just have to go ahead with this and see what happens. If I have problems with heat or with resin breakdown, then I can always paint it. Problem is that the CF has bumps and the paint won't look good, so I would have to either skim coat it or lay some fiberglass over it first..........we will see.

#20 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

I plan on having Coyote RV build me a custom pop-top some time this winter for use in ski area parking lots. From the research I've done: most rigid foam insulation is R5=1" and doubling the thickness does not always double the R value. If you plan on any extreme winter use then 10,000 btu furnace may not be adequate and 1 10lb. propane bottle won't be either. I think the 10lb. tanks are hard to find and very expensive.

Correct. Most insulation is R5. The foamular is R6.3 and while you are right in that each inch doesn't nessecarily = equivalent R value its pretty close. Many of my walls are 3 inches thick and that is why I expect R value of around 12 or better.
It was interesting to test the carbon fiber in the sun. While the outside of the wall became very warm to touch, the inside stayed as cool as the shaded temps.
As far as really cold temps go, I have used a 10,000 BTU heater in my old camper in the winter and it was pretty cold still. But that was with only 1 inch of soft insulation.
All that said, I may decide to go to a forced air furnace yet. DD has a line on a nice heater out of Germany that I might go with.
10 lb composite LP tanks are not much more than buying a 20 lb metal tank and not that hard to get. Again, you might be right and I will have 2 10 lb tanks, one for the heat and one for the rest of the systems. Making decisions as we go..... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users