• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 surfib

surfib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

Some may have rembered I was the one trying to get that monster 70's era camper of my rig so that I could put a new ATC camper on when I get it ordered. Well as I was getting ready to cut a check (sorry Ben) and my boss called and asked if I wanted his old FWC Keystone. $900 later, I have a new camper. Big props go to Ben for answering all my questions. Hands down some of the best service I have ever recieved! I may still head out there and see if he can do a few add-ons for the Keystone.

Posted Image
Posted Image

For some reason, the truck has alot more sag in it compared to the last camper even though it is about 1000lbs lighter. Maybe because the fridge/furnace and water tank are on the rear half of the axle this time around.

#2 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

Nice rig. Did you park the old camper in Baja as you planed? Welcome to the wonderful world of FWC.

#3 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

I believe you will be delighted with your Keystone. We certainly are with ours. In some ways, an old Keystone is the ultimate FWC. You can upgrade and repair it as needed. I believe Ben and Marty are the best people to do this for you, when or if you want to do so. The quality of the work they did for me is first class. The analogy with a car would be as if you could get the General Motors Tech Center to work on your old Corvette.

How did you get your old camper off your truck?

#4 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:43 PM

That looks like a very capable rig and a great price too!

#5 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:23 AM

Congrats on the buy. I'll bet you still end up a customer at some point though. Now go out and enjoy the new camper. Let us know how it does.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#6 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

thats a monster! love to see some interior photos! looks great on that truck!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#7 surfib

surfib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:09 PM

As for getting the old one off, I used the Reico Titan Camper jacks, an easy pedal, and a lot of eyes. Ended up doing it in my buddies nice, flat driveway. Gave it to my other buddy to use to live in so he can save up money and not have rent since his fiance is due in a few months. We will still end up leaving it in Baja, just at a later date.

Here is an inside shot:
Posted Image

The wiring you see if from the first owner, he decided to run the 12 volt wiring outside of the camper instead of drilling holes under the seats to get it to the battery. My first task at hand. Everything works great, but I'm scared to use the furnace. I'm sure I can find a place to do an overhaul on it, but where I go, I won't ever have to use it.

Also, how hard is it to do a Yakima track install? Do you to take off the upper interior paneling? I'm afraid if I take it apart, things are bound to go wrong.

#8 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

wondering about the rack install as well...let me know what you find out and i'll do the same...pretty sure you don't have to remove the panels and i think you usr the holes that are alredy rilled holding the roof panels on...

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#9 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:51 AM

To install a Yakima track system on the roof, lay out your tracks along the first line of screws that you see going down the roof. These should be in about a foot from the sides of the roof. Take out the screws that the track will be covering up and fill each hole with silicone. Put your track in place where the screws were and screw it down along the same line. Put a drop of silicone in each spot that you are going to put a screw to seal it. Once the tracks are on, you should find that the 66" bars fit well. The distance between the racks should come out to about 56". I know they make some 58" bars but we have never used them. Would rather have the extra length than to come up short on something.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#10 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:16 PM

thanks ben, do you use the same screws that are already on the roof or ue yakima screws?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users