25 replies to this topic

#11 cologuyw/oldakcamper

cologuyw/oldakcamper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

Nice rig. It's so original. You have some good photos that show certain details I haven't seen before.
Hardly any leak marks
Heavy duty tie down brackets. They look fairly recent.
Shinny alu. trim. Took me a bunch of steel wool and chemicals to get mine in shape.
Looks like all shades and blinds, floor are orig.
Skid plates on bottom
Rollers for boat on top racks
Top gutter above windows. On second look, what I thought was a gutter is an awning bracket. I suspect the awning is the green item in one of pictures. Probably like new?
Underside access door?
I just bought a 65 10 ft NCO. Paid $600, a few problems but not too bad. Looks very similar to yours. Sellers sometimes don't know value. Our gain.
I've got jacks like yours. Extension plates were welded on to make the bottom of angle iron extend under further to reduce risk of slipping. When I bought mine, the seller was cranking on it, let go of crank, crank freewheeled backward and clipped his thumb. Blood but no broken bones or trailer. Very dangerous. He forgot to release spring ratchet prior to releasing tension on crank.

Have fun. Colo.SANY0020.JPG

#12 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:07 AM

Wow, Robert! You have discovered a real gem. I would like to formally welcome you to the forum and look forward to reading about your camper in future posts. Sorry it took so long to welcome you officially. I have been King Salmon and Steelhead fishing for the past 3 days and turned my iPhone off.
Mike

Thanks Mike! Glad to be aboard. Indeed, you can look forward to questions from me, and pictures of my camper. It's now sitting comfortably in my driveway (more in a separate post).
Cheers,
--Robert

#13 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:09 AM

Hi Robert, I echo Rusty's advice, "Kid Gloves" when loading or unloading the camper. (...)
I wish somebody had given me this advice before I loaded my camper. I was a hairs breadth away from dumping my camper on its roof,you should have seen the air around me it was blue and not from the color of the sky.

Thanks Kevin!
I will indeed heed this advice, and re-read carefully, before I first attempt to put it on my yet-to-be-acquired truck!
Cheers.
--Robert

#14 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

Nice rig. It's so original. You have some good photos that show certain details I haven't seen before.
Hardly any leak marks
Heavy duty tie down brackets. They look fairly recent.
Shinny alu. trim. Took me a bunch of steel wool and chemicals to get mine in shape.
Looks like all shades and blinds, floor are orig.
Skid plates on bottom
Rollers for boat on top racks
Top gutter above windows. On second look, what I thought was a gutter is an awning bracket. I suspect the awning is the green item in one of pictures. Probably like new?
Underside access door?
I just bought a 65 10 ft NCO. Paid $600, a few problems but not too bad. Looks very similar to yours. Sellers sometimes don't know value. Our gain.
I've got jacks like yours. Extension plates were welded on to make the bottom of angle iron extend under further to reduce risk of slipping. When I bought mine, the seller was cranking on it, let go of crank, crank freewheeled backward and clipped his thumb. Blood but no broken bones or trailer. Very dangerous. He forgot to release spring ratchet prior to releasing tension on crank.

Have fun. Colo.SANY0020.JPG

Hi Colo,
You have a keen eye! Thanks for your observations and assessment.
Yeah the two side gutters accomodate the stock awning, which is under the seat (the green one). PO told me it was a PIA to install. I'll investigate next year, when I have the camper out somewhere.
Yes, I can imagine that using those jacks requires constant attention and care!!!
--Robert

#15 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:26 AM

Hi again all,
Well, the camper got delivered today and all is well, it's resting safe and snug in my garage!
I uploaded several pictures I took today, for your viewing pleasure. On the same link in my original posting.

The seller arrived this morning with the camper on a uhaul. He raided the top, then attached the two stock jacks to each side, and proceeded to lift it off the uhaul. He said he's always had good success with those jacks, which he prefers using over the 4 other corner jacks (simpler). He showed me to be careful and ensure the lock engages before letting to of the handle, and to raise (or lower) about 4 turns then do same on the other side. Once he cleared the trailer, he pulled it out by hand, which set the camper rocking slightly on the jacks (he didn't seem to bat an eye, but my heart was beating a bit faster!). Eventually the rocking ceased, he rolled his homebuilt metal dolly stand underneath, and lowered it on. Then it was a simple matter of lowering the top, and pushing it into my garage, then nestling it against the outside wall.

The way it's sitting, I can at least raise the top enough to sit inside, which will make whatever inside work I may need to do a little more pleasant. The garage door opener and the door prevent me from lifting the top any higher. That's fine, at least it's nice and dry for the winter...

In addition to the two sets of jacks, he also gave me a custom step he had made for it, which attached to the trailer hitch on his previous truck, and extended a step beyond the dropped tailgate. I'll see if I can fit it to whatever truck I end up buying. He also gave me an extension square tube and ball for his hitch, that he had also made, so one can pull something while the camper is on. Useful to have stuff like that.

I noticed that there is some cracking in the (original?) weatherstripping at the ends of the top, behind the bolted metal border edge, so this Fall will be a great time for taking that apart and re-sealing with modern sealant. Ditto for the side mouldings, around the windows, maybe the windowframes themselves, the the fan opening on top, etc. Will make it more water-proof when I go to use it next year, and help preserve its good condition.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts and positive impressions on my camper, and you can look forward to seeing some more pictures (and some questions) come your way on the forum, in coming weeks and months.

One thing I'll have to investigate: when I plugged an extension cord into the AC input, it would trip the breaker. Not sure if it's because all the lights inside were probably turned on? Didn't seem to be a problem in the seller's garage.... Anyway, I'm sure it's nothing serious, just need to spend some time diagnosing.

Until soon,
--Robert

p.s. The ID tag on it has serial number "S 862 M". Maybe the company could date it with that information? Also the tag indicates "PennAcamp Inc" "Manheim Penna", which may be the manufacturing plant where it was made? (or just the dealer where it was sold...)

#16 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:59 AM

Nestled...I like that

What a way to start out with an Alaskan Camper...welcome to the club

Nestled :D ........... B)

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#17 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Hi Robert, Nestled! Huh! :D the only things I know of that Nestle are birds and Mice.
Mice AHHHHH! :o the scourge of campers and tent trailers,make sure you don't have any in your garage,or they will be in your camper. :) Mice don't like mothballs but unfortunately nor do I :unsure:
Here is the Manufacturers name and address of your camper(long defunct would be my guess)
Pennacamp,Division of Lanheim Inc,
401 West End Avenue,
Manheim,
Penna.
I would ask the seller about the breaker's tripping, the camper looks like it has new clearance lights he might know what the problem is quicker than you can find out. He sounds like a good guy, he wont mind you asking. Thanks for the extra pics,It still looks great.
Click on the thumbnail, here is a list of Alaskan builders from the 70's.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2287.JPG

Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel and always have some body help you load or unload your camper.

#18 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

Kevin,

From my first hand experience, you are giving very good advice to Robert about jacking.

John D

Thanks John, I learned the hard way and if I can prevent some one from making my mistakes so much the better.
Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel and always have some body help you load or unload your camper.

#19 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hi Robert, Nestled! Huh! :D the only things I know of that Nestle are birds and Mice.
Mice AHHHHH! :o the scourge of campers and tent trailers,make sure you don't have any in your garage,or they will be in your camper. :) Mice don't like mothballs but unfortunately nor do I :unsure:
Here is the Manufacturers name and address of your camper(long defunct would be my guess)
Pennacamp,Division of Lanheim Inc,
401 West End Avenue,
Manheim,
Penna.
I would ask the seller about the breaker's tripping, the camper looks like it has new clearance lights he might know what the problem is quicker than you can find out. He sounds like a good guy, he wont mind you asking. Thanks for the extra pics,It still looks great.

Thanks Kevin.
Ok, I gather that "nestled" was not a suitable descriptor for my camper's state :D How about "is situated"? ;)

No mice in my garage, as far as I know! Mice presence is one reason I would likely not store the camper near my cottage, under a tarp or portable garage...

I'll ask the seller about the electrical thing. I have a bit of a flaky electrical panel (still on fuses, with the odd external breaker, such as the garage circuit), so maybe the cause is partly there... Maybe the 110v fridge tries to kick in when the cord is connected. I'll disconnect it, turn off the 110v inside lights, and see if it works better....

Thanks for the info on Pennacamp. Now HERE is a question I have: I read on the Alaskan site that at one time there were several manufacturing plants in the US/Canada. Obviously, all those plants have gone away and the new Alaskans are all made in the same place, in Washington State. I suppose that means that the annual sales of Alaskans dipped at some point, probably due to competition from cheaper or other types of truck campers. But what I wonder is: did these "satellite" plants make the Alaskans from scratch, using design documents provided by the mother-ship company, or simply assemble them using parts shipped to them by the mother-ship? If the former, did the quality of craftsmanship vary greatly from plant to plant? That kind of historical perspective interests me for some reason...

Also, I wonder how Alaskan "purists" would compare the kind of craftsmanship of the older models (60s, 70s) with the new models rolling out the assembly line now (which I assume, possibly have a greater proportion of pre-formed components, plastics, etc...)?

Just wonderin'... :)

Cheers,
--Robert

#20 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

Robert..."Nestled" is just perfect ;)

as to quality....the originals were well done, some plants did a better job than others but in the 80's the quality dropped a bit....vinyl covered paneling and fronts were substituted for real wood paneling of the 60's and 70's.

The campers built by Bryan and the crew in Washington are a far cry from all of that cost cutting and cutting corners thing. Well built, wood cabinets, full electronics, better hydraulics, Bells, Whistles, and now with the advent of computers I'd imagine something to call the dog in.....maybe not.

Full solar systems and external showers are on the upgrade list also....something I'd like after a few days out fishing. I've been tempted to trade in the "Hilton"...but it just wouldn't be the same.....and besides....everyone's gotten used to seeing me coming...I'd have to re-train all the guys I fish with :D

If you should get the chance take a moment and visit them in Chehalis....

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users