• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 banderswipe

banderswipe

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:16 AM

[quote name='Land-roamer' date='27 September 2010 - 03:23 PM' timestamp='1285618981' post='41007']
Thanks Kevin.
OK, I gather that "nestled" was not a suitable descriptor for my camper's state :D How about "is situated"? ;)

Nestled is just fine Robert it suits your Alaskan because of the condition its in. I would even go as far as putting some blankets on it and tucking it in for the night. :D
I am only being funny with you because a lot of us have bare bones campers and yours looks loaded. Newer fridge, Furnace,propane storage,awning capable on both sides,canoe rack with rollers,storage dolly the list goes on did I mention the canoe rack with rollers.
I dream about a canoe rack with rollers. My Alaskan by the way was made in Calgary and all it came with was an ice box, yours is also very shiny and new looking, so I am just envious and giving you a hard time. :D

As to your other query about them being manufactured the same at each builder. I think they were built from blueprints and all built the same with the exception of some small items like the jack. I have a hydraulic pump with a separate reservoir instead of a jack and it looks like it is original.
The question about craftsmanship new verses old I would say the quality is the same, with the bonus for the new ones because they are lighter. I cannot really judge the new ones though having not owned one.

Robert you should start two new threads with your last two questions you will probably get a better response and that way people can add comments later instead of your good questions getting lost in this thread.
Cheers for now,
Kevin.
Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel and always have some body help you load or unload your camper.

#22 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:54 AM

Robert..."Nestled" is just perfect ;)

Thanks Rusty, it's the word that came to mind, what with a rainy autumn and snowy winter around the corner!

It was suggested that I start another thread on the manufacturing history and comparative quality over the years, and I included your useful comments in there. Maybe others will chime in also.
--Robert

#23 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:07 AM

Nestled is just fine Robert it suits your Alaskan because of the condition its in. I would even go as far as putting some blankets on it and tucking it in for the night. :D
I am only being funny with you because a lot of us have bare bones campers and yours looks loaded. Newer fridge, Furnace,propane storage,awning capable on both sides,canoe rack with rollers,storage dolly the list goes on did I mention the canoe rack with rollers.
I dream about a canoe rack with rollers. My Alaskan by the way was made in Calgary and all it came with was an ice box, yours is also very shiny and new looking, so I am just envious and giving you a hard time. :D

I see... :) Ok, nestled with a blanket it is! :)
So yours was made in Calgary, how interesting.
I must admit it's rather nice to step out into the garage and see the camper there, explore its nooks, crannies and blemishes; make a mental list of little things to fix, adjust, repaint, etc. However, given the fact that my low ceiling and garage door opener don't allow me to raise the top part more than a foot or so, it makes for some rather uncomfortable crawling around in there on bent knees like a gnome!

Yeah I really like the fact it has that nice canoe rack. Just this Spring, I bought from an older couple a genuine Chestnut cedar-canvas canoe from the 70's (the brand made famous by celebrated canoeist Bill Mason, from a now defunct company in New Brunswick), that they had hanging in their garage for many years. In very nice condition, I just repainted the canvas and re-varnished the inside. It will look great on top of the Alaskan when I head out for one of my trips up North.

(p.s I started that other tread you had suggested, and put your useful thoughts in there).

#24 brownbear

brownbear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Congrats on your purchase. It looks to be in pretty good shape. It's obvious that the previous owner did some work to it. New paint, lighting, polished aluminum, and some other odds and ends here and there. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it does look like the windows have leaked in the past, and the previous owner added an "accent strip" of material the entire length of the underneath of them to, perhaps, hide this. I'm a pretty good sleuth when it comes to ferreting out this sort of thing on for sale vehicles/boats/RV's, etc. People can be sneaky. I am not insinuating he was, but it's something to look into in case you need to re-seal them. Good luck on finding your truck, and enjoy!

#25 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

Congrats on your purchase. It looks to be in pretty good shape. It's obvious that the previous owner did some work to it. New paint, lighting, polished aluminum, and some other odds and ends here and there. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it does look like the windows have leaked in the past, and the previous owner added an "accent strip" of material the entire length of the underneath of them to, perhaps, hide this. I'm a pretty good sleuth when it comes to ferreting out this sort of thing on for sale vehicles/boats/RV's, etc. People can be sneaky. I am not insinuating he was, but it's something to look into in case you need to re-seal them. Good luck on finding your truck, and enjoy!

Thanks for your thoughts. The previous owner (~5 years) did not do much with it other than use it a few times until his truck died, then he stored it in his garage. He replaced the original Dometic 3 way fridge with a 110v one, and fitted it for 4 corner jacks. A few other odds and ends.
The previous owner to him was apparently the original owner, and he obviously did some fixes and upgrades over the years. You might be right on the accent strip, I don't know. I do know that it matches the countertop material. And I recall seeing some pictures of an Alaskan of that vintage that had similar-looking accent strips, so maybe some manufacturing shops installed them, who knows.
I will indeed re-seal the windows as well, for good measure.
Cheers.

#26 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

Whatever happened...someone took pretty good care of it...and kept it out of the weather B)

I have an admission to make......A little embarrassed

I'm an ex US Marine...spit and polish are bred into your system in the Marine Corps....

When I saw Roberts Alaskan...I saw something I had neglected... :rolleyes:

and I've never....polished the brass hydraulic system :o

I got some dura glit...and did it...sharp...is how I'd describe it....thanks Robert

The previous owner may have been RCMP ;)

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users