67 replies to this topic

#41 cvant

cvant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:41 AM

Hi Rusty,

Thanks! Those are the Rieco hydraulic jacks, not motorized. They're a little heavy duty for lifting 800 lbs. of camper, but I got them for a very low price. I've been thinking about that kit too.

Edited by cvant, 02 May 2017 - 05:42 AM.

#42 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

This seems to be a solution looking for a problem.  Bolting and unbolting the jacks takes 2 minutes per corner at most.  I do like the knob replacement idea instead of nuts.

Now, if all this creative and significant brain power could figure out a mounting system to replace turnbuckles, you'd really be on to something.  ;-)

#43 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

This seems to be a solution looking for a problem.  Bolting and unbolting the jacks takes 2 minutes per corner at most.  I do like the knob replacement idea instead of nuts.

Now, if all this creative and significant brain power could figure out a mounting system to replace turnbuckles, you'd really be on to something.  ;-)

2mins vs. 2sec.

Then there's the stripped bolt once in a while and oh does it slow down the process.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#44 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

KMACAFEE Said

This seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

My wife has suggested that I am guilty of this.....

#45 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

This seems to be a solution looking for a problem.  

Well, maybe, but I think there's also the satisfaction of exercising your creativity and then using using your metal-working skills to fab the design.  The kicker is when it works well!  

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#46 cvant

cvant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:27 AM

I actually timed it just for the heck of it, and it's more like one minute vs. 25 minutes to put the four jacks on.  The FWC brackets use 3 bolts each.  That's 12 bolts, 24 washers, 12 nuts.  Taking them off is a little faster, about 15 minutes.  I am no stranger to the wrench, and I used a cordless socket driver..... and you can't tell me that you didn't drop at least one or two of those nuts and/or washers while you were at it and had to go crawling around looking for it.   Now I can put my wrenches away, and it's one less thing to deal with when I'm trying to get packed or unpacked.  It took me an hour to design and draw the thing up in Solidworks, and about two hours to machine the parts.   It's also hard on your hands and wrists dealing with all of those nuts and bolts and wrenches.  I would think that it would be an especially good thing for folks with arthritis.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things it's not a BIG problem, but what else are you doing?

#47 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

I actually timed it just for the heck of it, and it's more like one minute vs. 25 minutes to put the four jacks on.  The FWC brackets use 3 bolts each.  That's 12 bolts, 24 washers, 12 nuts.  Taking them off is a little faster, about 15 minutes.  I am no stranger to the wrench, and I used a cordless socket driver..... and you can't tell me that you didn't drop at least one or two of those nuts and/or washers while you were at it and had to go crawling around looking for it.   Now I can put my wrenches away, and it's one less thing to deal with when I'm trying to get packed or unpacked.  It took me an hour to design and draw the thing up in Solidworks, and about two hours to machine the parts.   It's also hard on your hands and wrists dealing with all of those nuts and bolts and wrenches.  I would think that it would be an especially good thing for folks with arthritis.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things it's not a BIG problem, but what else are you doing?

When are you going to start producing and selling them?

I have been on the hunt for washers and nuts several times after dropping them.

Edited by ETAV8R, 05 May 2017 - 08:00 AM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#48 cvant

cvant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

When are you going to start producing and selling them?
I have been on the hunt for washers and nuts several times after dropping them.

Hold tight for a couple of weeks. I am going on a trip next week, and when I get back I'm going to try to make a set of these that need no modification to the shoulder bolts, and that can be built without a milling machine. If it works out I'll try to document the fabrication process with lots of photos.

#49 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:56 AM

Looking forward to v2.0 of your design.....

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#50 Scott81621

Scott81621

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'll buy a set!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic