32 replies to this topic

#31 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

Welcome Danny. My condolences about your wife. I hope any advice we can offer here helps in your adjustment to a truck camper.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#32 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

A very important tip when using a Foodsaver type machine---
Place a rolled up paper towel inside the bag, between the food and the seal strip. Otherwise, moisture gets sucked out across the seal area. This will ruin the machine and prevent a good seal. The paper towel absorbs the moisture before it reaches the sealing strip.

Make sense?? Those who have vacuum packed food know what I'm talking about.

I have sealed hundreds of pounds of Tuna successfully. But that sealing strip must be absolutely dry for the heat to seal it.

~DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#33 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

My primary reason for getting a camper -- after decades of camping in a tent and canopy and cooking on the tailgate of my truck -- was to be able to cook inside.
I camp in the winter and other times when it's cold/windy, and I got tired of it taking forever for a wind-blown Coleman stove to boil water, etc.
I almost never cook outside now unless I'm using my little Weber table-top gas grill.

My views and reasons for both getting a FWC and cooking inside agree with MarkBC; to many years of freezing in the wind while trying to keep a fire going or laying under the camper shell with the dog, some wood and my gear while "enjoying" a beer! I decided to get a FWC on a windy, cold fall day at Westport Landing State Beach. I sitting by my pathetic fire with my dog "Babe" in a rainstorm and already had moved my truck several times trying to block the wind from knocking my tent down again, all while trying to drink a cold beer and wondering about my sanity in my efforts of enjoying mother nature on my vacation, when a camper pulled into the cg (I was the only one there); stopped and the driver got out, looked at me, then let his dog out to pee, climbed into the back of his camper, and soon came back out with a cup of coffee, sat on a picnic table, drank it, got back in his rig and drove away! That was it, when I got back to Suzieville, my course was set, and soon, all those wilderness experiences were replaced with trying to figure out how the frig worked, :lol: and how to keep my ice trays filled so I could enjoy my vodka/cranberry drinks. Another quick example, right after getting my FWC, went up to the lake and two friends stopped by to see my new rig and have a beer or two. The wind kept forcing us to change positions around the truck; after several changes, I, being a smart fellow, suddenly realized hey, let's get out of the wind and get in the new camper! 3 guys, and 2 dogs (mind liked the wind and stayed out side) & were soon enjoying a wind free beer-and "oh" let me turn on my heater-and a new world was opened to us- and I've never looked back-I deserve my new comfort!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users