32 replies to this topic

#21 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

I had a request to keep rally related shenanigans to the rally thread which I think is reasonable so I cleaned up the thread a bit (including deleting my own off-topic remark)

#22 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

I cook inside my camper all the time....but I run the Fantastic fan when doing so. So far, I haven't had any lingering food odors.

Marc, I didn't know you could boil those seal-a-meal bags. I may have to invest in one of those machines.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#23 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Marc, I didn't know you could boil those seal-a-meal bags. I may have to invest in one of those machines.

A lot of commerical food at restaurants comes pre-cookesd in those seal-a-meal type packages. They just drop them in boiling water and dump it on your plate.

All the bag brands I have purchased are rated for boiling, microwaving and reusing (the bags get smaller everytime you cut them open, but they can be washed and resealed). They are pretty sweet - I always thought they were a gimmick, until I got one and used it.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#24 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

I cook inside my camper all the time....but I run the Fantastic fan when doing so. So far, I haven't had any lingering food odors.

Yeah; those are great.
When I freeze food I always use them; since it sucks out all the air and gives you a longer shelf life.

Just make sure you get the right ones which you can boil. They have a special coating which doesn't off gas when you boil your food in a bag.

#25 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:07 PM

Yeah; those are great.
When I freeze food I always use them; since it sucks out all the air and gives you a longer shelf life.

Just make sure you get the right ones which you can boil. They have a special coating which doesn't off gas when you boil your food in a bag.

Ugly Scout and Marc,

I don't mean to hijack this thread....but please give your recommendations on which machine to buy.....and which bags too.

I might even bring this machine along on trips as a means of keeping left overs and a handy means to reheat them. I don't have a microwave out in the boonies to reheat leftovers.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#26 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:20 AM

Greetings~!

Just checked in the kitchen on the unit we use purchased at our local Costco...

"Food Saver V3825" that came out earlier this year. Very nice machine. We have many of the accessory items such as the sealing-continers/jars and such. We use it several times a week around the house for stuff and we will spend a day or so preparing meals before going out on a mini-adventure, freeze what needs to be frozen and pop in the YETI on the morning of departure...usually will remain frozen up to about 5 days with blue-ice in the YETI in our mild PNW temps (mid 70's summer time).

----just came home from a trip to Portland and picked up a 4 quart dutch oven at the Wholesale Sports location in Vancouver...now i don't need a 1ton to haul the 8 quart D.O. around ; )

Cheers,
Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#27 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:55 AM

Greetings~!

Just checked in the kitchen on the unit we use purchased at our local Costco...

"Food Saver V3825" that came out earlier this year. Very nice machine. We have many of the accessory items such as the sealing-continers/jars and such. We use it several times a week around the house for stuff and we will spend a day or so preparing meals before going out on a mini-adventure, freeze what needs to be frozen and pop in the YETI on the morning of departure...usually will remain frozen up to about 5 days with blue-ice in the YETI in our mild PNW temps (mid 70's summer time).

----just came home from a trip to Portland and picked up a 4 quart dutch oven at the Wholesale Sports location in Vancouver...now i don't need a 1ton to haul the 8 quart D.O. around ; )

Cheers,
Thom

That's the one!!!!!!!!!!! Food Saver V3825 Bags are from same company.

Costco Rocks.....

#28 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Thanks guys. Costco it is!

#29 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

We have a food saver brand unit as well. BUT I don't like it, it has been a lemon I think.... I need to take it back and get a new one.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#30 danny

danny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

I have just recently switched to a Palomino Bronco 1251 and have only used it on a few short trips and mainly cooked outside on a electric fry pan and crock pot ... have not done dry camping yet but since i only have a 3 burner gas stove will have to learn that skill so am interested in every ones comments. Before the Truck Camper we had a 27ft travel trailer but after my wife passed did not want to pull the trailer by myself so switched. Am looking forward to some long journeys this summer ... Hate the Gas Prices !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users