32 replies to this topic

#1 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:14 AM

Greetings!

First off, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

Here is where i'm at. My wife and i are in the final stages of placing an order for an XPCamper. I've had some fun and informative discussions with XPMarc and we love the rig (though we haven't touched one, i guess we "virtually" love the rig!~)

Anywhoooo, Cari and i really never cooked much in our Aliner EASE even though it had a wonderful Dometic 3 burner LP stove in it as we were concerned with contributing smells and grime to the inside of the rig. So except for boiling water in the morning's or evenings for a cup of hot cocoa, tea, or coffee we really didn't "cook" inside.

Here is why i'm asking...we are wondering if we should include the diesel cook top in the rig, we will be able to boil water through a 110v pot. We are NOT concerned about resale value. What we are concerned about is keeping a shape-ship. BUT since we've never cooked inside a rig we can't say that we would be adding grime/smells! : ) Though we have believed to notice smells in used rv's we don't know for sure where they originated.

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thom,

Having touched and toured the XP, I can tell you I am extremely envious. Congrats on moving forward with your order.

Many wanderers have expressed a reluctance to cook inside their rig for the exact reasons you have mentioned. I wonder, do they not cook at home for fear of smells in the house? So mine will probably be the only respose of this kind. The only time we don't cook in the camper is when we barbeque. I often cook with garlic and onions in the camper. I am not aware of any lingering smells in the camper. Maybe it smells normal to me and I just don't notice them. And, yes, you do have to clean the counter very well after making anything greasy that spatters, like bacon.

Your best source may be XPMarc. As a former chef, ask him how much he cooks in his XP camper.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

Accrete: I have a couple of thoughts for you.

1.) I have had the fortunate occasion of seeing an XP and I think part of the desire to own one would be to have the stove. As I recall, it had a larger more usable and cleanable kitchen style area and I think later you would find you would have wanted it. Its part of the experience of having such a high end camper, I think.

2.) I have the smallest of the All Terrain and I understand what your concerns are. Generally, we use the kitchen for coffee and my wife cooks her vegetables inside so smells are minimized. We carry a small barbeque for cooking meats and fish, etc outside.

Have fun out there and be safe.

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#4 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:39 PM

I normally cook outside because that is where I usually enjoy being. However, I think having the ability to cook inside is a big bonus, especially if the weather is ugly. I keep some diluted Simple Green in a spray bottle to cleanup after cooking inside. I've cooked onions, bacon, sausuage, fish, and all kinds of other fragrant foods inside and I don't have any lingering smells.

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

I don't have any problem with cooking in my rig in my mind and I do (mostly boiled stuff though) unless I'm cooking over the campfire.

Here is why i'm asking...we are wondering if we should include the diesel cook top in the rig, we will be able to boil water through a 110v pot.

Is this running over batteries and an inverter or shore power? If shore power that is fine but if its off batteries I'd advise against that regularly as you'll burn alot of amps up quickly.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

We really like the option of cooking inside, and do when the weather is crappy. Our Phoenix Coyote has a three-burner stove, one more than our Coleman. Plus, having the sink right there is great. I don't notice any problems with lingering cooking smells, but if I did, they'd be awesome... since I'm such a good cook.B)

Congrats on the XP! That's a beautiful lookin' camper.
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

We do all of our cooking inside, and we cook much more than we let on. We always run our fantastic fan that is right above the stove with the turnbuckle port open down below. That gives a good airflow. Most of our cooking is fairly simple as we generally are on the go and hanging around the camper is not the focus of our travels. We do eat outside whenever weather permits. Since we got our unit a year ago we have used it quite a bit. There is no notice of cooking smells.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:51 PM

We cook inside quite a bit - unless we are cooking over the campfire. Anyway after 9 years of cooking inside no noticable odors or cleaning issues. Bacon does leave a bit of a trace but we do the pre-cooked stuff and its easy to clean up after.

I always thought one of those RVQ's that would hook on the outside would be a nice addition to the next camper - could cook inside or out depending on the weather, activities, etc.

I'd suggest go for it if you think there is any chance you are interested in it.

-Vic

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#9 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:46 AM

Congratulations on the future XPC!

I would say it would be best to be able to cook inside.

I do not like cooking in rain, cold, bugs or dark. And usually one (or more) of those things are happening when I am cooking.

And as stated above, even if you cook inside, you can always eat outside.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#10 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:21 AM

I cook in the camper.
I like to have everything handy and bug free; all my spices; oils etc are right there.

Never had a problem with any smells; even after cooking salmon; bacon or other foods.
The window above the stove helps to vent some of the exhausts outside; and with another window open you can get some pretty good cross ventilation.

The walls are easy to clean; since they are all smooth' and having a sealed cook top helps with the clean up.
That is when the hands free faucet comes in handy as well. Specially when doing dishes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users