55 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

Anybody besides me carry 2 spare tires, and if so how do you carry the second one (on a pick-up with a camper mounted)?
(I searched for this topic, but didn't find any...please point me to it if it's been well covered already.)

I usually bring a second spare tire when I'll be traveling in remote areas on gravel roads -- roads with sharp rocks that can pierce tires a long way from flat-fixing facilities (I've actually had double-flats 3 times in the past 20 years).

Ever since I got the camper I've been hefting the second spare in and out of the back of my camper...and I've gotten tired of that inconvenience.
I'm looking for a way to mount/carry the spare that will not be in the way at all for getting in and out of the camper, etc -- something that will be able to stay in place when I'm camped as well as when traveling.
I know I've seen spare tires mounted on the front of trucks in front of the grill, more or less, and that seems like a way to go. Anybody do that, and if so how? Are there ready-made after-market mounts that work for Ford F250 (2000 vintage)?
Or???

Thanks for suggestions...or pointing to me to an existing thread if already answered. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

I think the best way would be to get a custom bumper that has a swing-out spare tire mount. I think aluminess makes one. You could get an XPCamper - has a built in compartment big enough for a second spare :)

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Posted Image

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

I think the best way would be to get a custom bumper that has a swing-out spare tire mount. I think aluminess makes one. You could get an XPCamper - has a built in compartment big enough for a second spare :)

Yeah...I'd considered before that there should be some kind of swing-out tire carrier that mounts into the receiver hitch...something like the swing-out/away spare mount on old Blazers (or was it Broncos?), except connected into the receiver hitch so I don't have to buy a new bumper.

OK, I see the photo...yes that does look like it would be an ultimate solution, with a place to carry a gas can, too.

Any other ideas from others?

#5 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

On the front using a front 2" receiver. I've seen tire holders that plug right in.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

I've seen some receiver hitch options but none that look stout enough to handle long miles on washboards, etc. A fixed (non-swing away) hitch mount would drive me nuts due to it having to be removed any time you need to hop in the camper real quick to make a sandwich. And what do you do with it when commando camping?

I'm not opposed to carrying a second spare, but I'm very stingy with the weight I'm willing to carry... So far a tire patch kit (got mine from ARB) and a small air compressor has done the trick. Not the perfect solution if a sidewall is cut, but I've been lucky so far that hasn't happened.

If I had roof-rack and the lift-assist struts and I was going to be in the backcountry of Utah or Death Valley for several days, I would toss a second spare up top.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

On the front using a front 2" receiver. I've seen tire holders that plug right in.

Yeah, thanks Barko, a receiver hitch on the front -- with a compatible tire mount -- sounds like an option that would meet my needs. Hmmm.... I'll look into it.

I'm not worried about the weight of the spare in general, since I'm already carrying the second spare (much of the time). I just want a better way to carry it.

#8 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

I had a shop weld the tube in and use a cargo carrier to lug a Segway along. Never had an issue with airflow to the radiator.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#9 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

Not the answer to your question...but a good plug kit is much easier to use than changing to a spare.

Most punctures are usually small and easily plugged. Like I said, it's easier to plug and air up than to change.

I've had sidewall punctures where I've stuffed a handful of plugs to keep going. Have to stop and air up every so often, but it can work.

One time down in Baja I changed out a flat with the spare and then got another. Took the original flat and shoved plugs in it and put it back on.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#10 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

commando camping?
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users