#21 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

CR,
Cool St Babs AMs I hear its down right chilly there these days. I miss the Nard but lovin' Tucson only 98 today. I have had the same experience as you with the fridge in the desert. It just doesnt work well. But since Its in my new Hawk I'll give it another try with Jeffs suggestions and maybe install a small exhaust fan in the out side locker.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#22 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

camelracer,

This spring while installing my furnace I had to remove the frig to run the gas line and to access the wiring hidden behind the insulation blanket. There is very little insulation on the sides of the compartment and none on the top. The manufactures spec.s say the frig box should have a max of 1/2" clearance on the sides and top and a min. of zero. I pulled the frig again and insulated around the box top and sides, rebuilt the heat shield/baffle above the works and closed the sides to isolate the frig box from the outside air. So far the performance has improved with the extra insulation.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#23 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

interesting fan unit...is that battery powered? where exactly do you put it and how do you secure it?

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#24 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

you just put the batts in and put it on a shel as though it was a soda can. the batts are supposed to last a month. i am testing it now.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#25 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

cool, interested to here how it works out...

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

#26 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for the info guys. The fan may help because I noticed that things stayed cooler near the fins. Maybe Stan or Ben can pipe in here with some info about insulation.
I was in the Owens Valley over memorial day weekend with temps in the 90's and it worked great. Maybe the secret is to hang out in an air conditioned cantina when the temps exceed 100.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#27 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:59 AM

I've had the Super Shell all of 3 days and can already say I probably should have gotten the vent over the bed.:(
And Lord do I HATE the fabric on the ceiling!
Funky gawd awful white brocade like some kind of cheap coffin liner or a hotel mattress???? :eek:
I did not see that comin' at all!... . Especially since it goes SO WELL with the rest of the upholstery.:rolleyes:
All I can say is ICK, ICK, & DOUBLE ICK!

Other then that, it's Pretty Cool............:cool:

#28 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:12 AM

grumpy, what happened, did you not see the fabric when you bought the rig? your right though it does kind of look like a coffin...i sleep very well in it!

#29 NJTaco

NJTaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

camelracer,

This spring while installing my furnace I had to remove the frig to run the gas line and to access the wiring hidden behind the insulation blanket. There is very little insulation on the sides of the compartment and none on the top. The manufactures spec.s say the frig box should have a max of 1/2" clearance on the sides and top and a min. of zero. I pulled the frig again and insulated around the box top and sides, rebuilt the heat shield/baffle above the works and closed the sides to isolate the frig box from the outside air. So far the performance has improved with the extra insulation.

Regarding clearances, the manufacturer of your fridge wants a chimney effect to develop an efficient "draft" to remove heat from the cooling fins. Too much dead air around the fridge negates this effect, and the fridge is therefore less efficient. This is true of both absorption and compressor type cooling units.

Regarding fans, an interior (inside the fridge) fan keeps temps even throughout the compartment. The fridge should run less often, and food should last longer if one of these are used. A fan to cool the outside (rear) of the fridge should be placed in such a way to support the chimney effect mentioned above. IMO, the outside fan makes a HUGE difference in the efficiency of the fridge, and is worth every effort to install, when installed properly.

DLN, I am not surprised at all that your fridge works better with the insulation you added. It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyways, if anyone is inclined to re-work the install of your fridge to tighten up clearances, be sure to use appropriately rated fire-resistant materials. The back of the fridge can get HOT! Over the years of camping in and working on RVs (professionally) I have not often seen the fridges actually installed to the specific manufacturer's recommended clearances, etc. There are too many variables, too little attention spent on this detail. That is to say, everyone should check the install of their fridge, if they want the most out of it.

Regards,

Bob

#30 Uncle Grumpy

Uncle Grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

did you not see the fabric when you bought the rig?

We had the camper custom built and we scored the end of the year free delivery.
We went to the extent of supplying the fabric for the cushions and drapes but nobody told us the ceiling was fabric covered also. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users