Photo
- - - - -

Solar Install completed - thanks to members on this forum.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

I think this will answer both of the above questions.

The remote mount meter is essential for you to monitor what is going on with your system. The little led lights on the controller would be good enough to get a rough idea of whats going on....but since we are mounting the controller behind the wood panelling (I assume you are going to mount in the same place that FWC mounts them when doing a factory install) you can't see the controller. Therefore, you would have no idea what is happening. The meter is the only clue from the inside that the camper has a solar system. It is the only visible component from inside.

The meter is really cool. I can see how many volts/amps the panel is providing to the controller, the battery voltage, the watts being used etc. It's nice to know what is going on. For instance....right now my camper battery is fully charged..the watts displayed are 0. When I turn my stereo on I then see that 12 watts are being provided...turn on the fantastic fan and 30 watts are being provided, etc. The meter also provides for system diagnostics so you can troubleshoot problems. It's a really nice unit for what they charge.

The controller uses the battery temperature as a factor in calculating the best charge profile for your battery (hot less juice, cold more juice etc.). Since the controller is phyically mounted in a different location than the battery....the temperature of the battery could be different than the temperature at the controller. Maybe it's not enough difference to effect things much....or maybe it is....the manual for the controller strongly recommends the remote temperature sensor for applications where the controller is not mounted where the battery is located.

Thanks for the excellent explanation :) My controller has the volt and amp meter as well as the temp sensor but I didn't fully comprehend them, now I do! That explains where I need to put the temp sensor. My BZ products controller installs into a cut-out and so the display is visible, a box for it is available but I don't think I'll need it.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#22 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the excellent explanation Posted Image My controller has the volt and amp meter as well as the temp sensor but I didn't fully comprehend them, now I do! That explains where I need to put the temp sensor. My BZ products controller installs into a cut-out and so the display is visible, a box for it is available but I don't think I'll need it.

I looked real hard at your unit before I purchased. The only thing that I didn't like was that in the product description it states that the controller is great for flooded, gel and sealed batteries....with no mention of AGM. My camper battery is an AGM. I liked your unit since it is less money and I wouldn't need the remote meter.

When are you going to do your install? Kind of fun.....

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#23 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

When are you going to do your install? Kind of fun.....

Fun, like a root canal??? I have to think this through, panel placement, wiring, wiring to truck for the trickle charge.... It's going in my new to me toyhauler so it is a little different routine. The toyhauler is at the shop now, had to move the battery rack to install the anti sway/WD hitch. Bunch of stuff to do on it including the solar but I m already thinking I should have 2 100w panels except in the FWC I got used to not using much juice.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:21 AM

Great info here. Thanks leadsled9 for sharing your install!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#25 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:34 AM

Ok, I went for it, bought the 120 watt panel for $222.

When I called solarblvd, they only had 3 left at that price, so I got one of them. That leaves 2 for the taking!!

leadsled, thanks for all the info. There is a marine store down the street that I plan to buy the 10awg wire from. Also need to see when I get it what I will need for mounting. Haven't decided yet how that will work.

I forsee some calls to FWC in my future!!

The instructions require putting in a 25 amp fuse inline with the positive terminal at the battery. Don't forget to order a 10 awg fuse holder....as most fuse holders are not stout enough for a 25 amp fuse. The instructions didn't mention the panel....but I might just add a fuse there too.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#26 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:13 PM

I looked real hard at your unit before I purchased. The only thing that I didn't like was that in the product description it states that the controller is great for flooded, gel and sealed batteries....with no mention of AGM. My camper battery is an AGM. I liked your unit since it is less money and I wouldn't need the remote meter.

FYI, I just went at looked at the manual for that, it lets you adjust the float voltage 12.5V-15.5V so you could have adjusted it to whatever your particular brand battery requires. (http://www.bzproduct...les/MPPT250.pdf)

Another good find on solar supplier site. :)

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#27 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

FYI, I just went at looked at the manual for that, it lets you adjust the float voltage 12.5V-15.5V so you could have adjusted it to whatever your particular brand battery requires.

The Morningstar unit uses these set points for the different battery types....and you can also use a computer interface and custom program your own set points.

Gel: 14.0 v absorption
13.7 v float
n/a equalization
n/a equalization calendar

Sealed 14.1 v absorption
13.7 v float
n/a equalization
n/a equalization calendar

AGM 14.3 v absorption
13.7 float
14.5 v equlize voltage
28 days equalization calendar

Flooded 14.4 v absorption
13.7 v float
14.9 v equalize
28 days equalize calendar

It looks like Morningstar uses the same float charge (13.7 v) for all battery types. The absorption voltage varies as well as the equalization voltage and rather or not an equalization phase is included in the charging scheme. It's rather odd that they don't list the bulk voltage.

How important is all of this? I couldn't tell ya....but it is interesting that the Morningstar unit is so precise in it's set point map depending on your battery type. I'm not an electrical engineer and by no means an expert in solar systems. I'll leave it to the experts out there to interpret this data.

#28 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

It looks like Morningstar uses the same float charge (13.7 v) for all battery types. The absorption voltage varies as well as the equalization voltage and rather or not an equalization phase is included in the charging scheme. It's rather odd that they don't list the bulk voltage.

Bulk and adsorption are usually pretty close in charging. The key in my mind is making sure it steps down to a reasonable float.

The BZ doesn't exactly say what it does for adsorption is but a call to them would likely clear that up.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#29 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:20 PM

The key in my mind is making sure it steps down to a reasonable float.

Thanks pods8.

It looks like the equalization phase is important for AGM and flooded battery types. Here is a quote from the manual:

"the SS-MPPT will equalize a flooded battery for three (3) hours every 28 days. Equalize charging raises the battery voltage above

the standard absorption voltage so that the electrolyte gasses. This process prevents electrolyte stratification and

equalizes the individual cell voltages within the battery."

#30 randygirl

randygirl

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:12 PM

Looks like I will have my work cut out for me.

I will apologize in advance for all the questions I will have.

After reading this stuff, I am already confused. I am hoping when it all gets here, it will make more sense.

Can't wait to get the stuff

Randy

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 (LBZ) Duramax Diesel& 2002 Hawk, 2 dogs and a lust for adventure ;-) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users