• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

Ok, how about Ballarat? I was waiting to see what others thought, but how about we meet here on the 26th?

Darryl

Ballarat it is! We will be there in the early afternoon of the 26th.
Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#62 RoamingRobertsons

RoamingRobertsons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmay be lost

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:58 AM

We should be there some time on the afternoon as well. I've driven through Ballarat a few times coming or going from Death Valley via Goler Wash but don't remember a campground. I know Ballarat isn't exactly a big place but can someone give me a clue where the campground is and where the secondary option is if the campground is full? This is almost like a blind date looking for someone holding a rose or something. How will we know its us?

#63 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:48 AM

We should be there some time on the afternoon as well. I've driven through Ballarat a few times coming or going from Death Valley via Goler Wash but don't remember a campground. I know Ballarat isn't exactly a big place but can someone give me a clue where the campground is and where the secondary option is if the campground is full? This is almost like a blind date looking for someone holding a rose or something. How will we know its us?

Ballarat is a store and a cemetary. The "campground" is right across the street from the store on the south side of the cemetery. If it's full (was full of Clampers last time we were there), go north about 1/4 mile, and on the left side of the road is an open area that's obvious it's been used as a camping area. Look for the ATC's and FWC's, you can't miss it.

I can post some pictures of Ballarat and the camping area we used last year if you need them.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#64 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:09 AM

It seems like we've got a good group forming at the Ballarat rendezvous. I'm still planning on arriving at Saline on the 26th for a few days of soaking. We'll look up Gene when we're there, and maybe catch some music if we're lucky.
We'll probably do some hiking around the canyons at the foot of the Inyo. Anyone else thinking Saline Valley?

I don't know where y'all are heading from Ballarat, but we're interested in visiting the Race Track probably on the 28th, ideally via Lippencott Road. Seems like Ted mentioned some camping up there. Anyone wants to join in for this or alternately running Steele Pass to visit the dunes on the 28th or 29th, let me know. It would be great fun to rally with more than one vehicle (my usual).

One other place that begs exploration is off Death Valley Rd./Eureka Valley where there's a 25 mi. loop through Papoose Flat. That's a possible detour for us coming from the north, either coming on the 26th or leaving on the 30th.

Of course this is all theoretical once we go off grid. Still, thought I would share some of my ideas and see if anyone else is interested in visiting some of the northwestern parts of DV.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#65 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:11 AM

Ok, great. I may be in the area on the 25th as my wife is out of town to make a long story short.

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#66 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:17 AM

you guys are killing me. I'll be on the coast visiting my vegan non drinking sister for christmas. Have to drive my parents. Well not have to, but theres no way I"m letting my dad, who can't move his neck, spend six hours on the road in bad weather. He'd do it too. Wish I could be there.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#67 RoamingRobertsons

RoamingRobertsons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationmay be lost

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:26 AM

It seems like we've got a good group forming at the Ballarat rendezvous. I'm still planning on arriving at Saline on the 26th for a few days of soaking. We'll look up Gene when we're there, and maybe catch some music if we're lucky.
We'll probably do some hiking around the canyons at the foot of the Inyo. Anyone else thinking Saline Valley?

I don't know where y'all are heading from Ballarat, but we're interested in visiting the Race Track probably on the 28th, ideally via Lippencott Road. Seems like Ted mentioned some camping up there. Anyone wants to join in for this or alternately running Steele Pass to visit the dunes on the 28th or 29th, let me know. It would be great fun to rally with more than one vehicle (my usual).

One other place that begs exploration is off Death Valley Rd./Eureka Valley where there's a 25 mi. loop through Papoose Flat. That's a possible detour for us coming from the north, either coming on the 26th or leaving on the 30th.

Of course this is all theoretical once we go off grid. Still, thought I would share some of my ideas and see if anyone else is interested in visiting some of the northwestern parts of DV.

If the Racetrack is wet or recently wet you won't be able to walk out to the rocks. We always try to make it there at least once per trip but will probably skip it unless we see a ranger who confirms it is dry enough to walk on.

#68 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

CURRENT ROAD CONDITIONS
December 11, 2010
This report will be updated as conditions change.
All other park roads are open and in standard condition.

• Harry Wade Road - Open; high-clearance 4WD recommended due to deep sand.
  • Hunter Mountain Road - Open; 4WD and snow chains recommended.
  • Keane Wonder Mine Road - CLOSED; road and mining area closed to all entry due to safety hazards.
  • Racetrack Valley Road - Open; The playa is wet, DO NOT walk on it and leave footprints.
  • Saline Valley Road (North Pass) - Open; high-clearance 4WD and snow chains recommended.
  • Saline Valley Road (South Pass) - CLOSED; Inyo County is still working on the road.
  • Upper Wildrose Canyon Road - Open but Icy; 4WD recommended. Expect snow in Mahogany Flat campsites.
http://www.nps.gov/d...-conditions.htm

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

The link to the report is old Dec 11th....a lot has happened since...snow, rain, I'm sure after the pounding rain the Race Track playa might have water.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#69 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

Andy,

We'll be arriving at Saline on the 28th. We're stayin' there and staying warm in the pools. I've done some winter camping to Eureka Dunes, Race Track and Papoose Flats. Those places can get really cold, especially Papoose Flats. So, maybe we'll see you at Saline. Bob (Deltarat) said he thought he's be coming through Saline as well.

Gene

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#70 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

It's looking very nice -- sunny, anyway -- in the Sierras to the west of Death Valley, as these current photos of Mt. Whitney and view-from-Lone Pine show:

whitney_L20101223-1.jpg LonePine20101223-1.JPG

Mt Whitney cam
Lone Pine View cam (steerable!)

Both of these cam-links I found on the truly-great "Sierra Nevada Cams" page.

I'm pretty sure I won't be joining you guys in DV...I'm now thinking it's just too far out of my way between Redding (where I'll be for the next 3 days) and my primary destination of eastern Nevada. Have fun.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users