ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

http://www.instacam....id=DTHVL&size=L

what I found for Death Valley from the top of the visitors center

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#72 n0izh

n0izh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationConcho, Arizona

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

Zion National Park is back open after the flood problems. I guess we're going to head there tomorrow. I hope to meet up with you guys later in the year somewhere. I may be able to talk my wife into heading to quartzite for the big flea market in January.

John
2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel 1998 Granby Engle Front Load Fridge Wave6 Heater Solar

#73 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:39 AM

Count me in.I'll meet up with you guys Sunday afternoon.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#74 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:54 AM

CURRENT ROAD CONDITIONS
December 23, 2010
This report will be updated as conditions change.
All other park roads are open and in standard condition.

Expect most backcountry roads to be muddy

• Artists Drive - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Badwater Road (CA Hwy 178) - Open, use caution due to standing water and flood debris.
  • Big Pine Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Dante's View Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Devil's Golf Course Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Eureka Valley Road (north and south) - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Harry Wade Road - Open, but has not been checked; high-clearance 4WD recommended due to deep sand.
  • Hunter Mountain Road - Open, but has not been checked; 4WD and snow chains recommended.
  • Keane Wonder Mine Road - CLOSED; road and mining area closed to all entry due to safety hazards.
  • Mustard Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Racetrack Valley Road - Open, but has not been checked; The playa is wet, DO NOT walk on it and leave footprints.
  • Saline Valley Road (North Pass) - CLOSED due to flood damage and snow.
  • Saline Valley Road (South Pass) - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Titus Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Twenty Mule Team Canyon Road - CLOSED due to flood damage.
  • Lower Wildrose Canyon Road - Open, use caution due to flood amage.
  • Upper Wildrose Road - CLOSED 1/2 miles below Charcoal Kilns; Mahogany Flat Road currently not accessible.

http://www.nps.gov/d...-conditions.htm

http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#75 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:24 AM

With Lippencott being, potentially, the only access Palm Spring hot springs doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#76 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

From what I have heard South Pass is clear.The Park Service has listed South Pass closed every time I have been there,including this past Thanksgiving.Needless to say it is a pretty miserable road.But that is what keeps the generators out.Snow chains are a good thing to have.Especially if there is a storm while at the springs!

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#77 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

I've been going to Saline for over 25 years. The Park Service always says the road is impassable, they even put up signs. Yet I have never had a problem as long as I had my chains (cables) along. I would recommend everyone headed into Saline carry chains. Preferable, two sets. Someone came out of Saline yesterday and said all was clear through the South Pass.

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#78 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:38 AM

Call me weak. With the rain "its pouring where I live, not showers as the weather report says" (most roads I wanted to go on closed going to and in Death Valley), I can only go for a few days due to work, and the fact I would be traveling by myself, I have decided to postpone for a drier time when it will be more safe.

Its ok Ted, go ahead and say it!

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#79 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:40 AM

After enduring several hours due to chain controls (even with only wet roads), we're on our way. I'm typing on my phone as Susan drives us thru Minden. DV conditions look tough, but we'll see if South Pass is do-able tomorrow. We'll visit Travertine tonite and may stay at lower Green Creek tonight. We've got chains, five days food (and some liquid sustenance) and a sense of adventure. It's gonna be alright.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#80 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:25 AM

After enduring several hours due to chain controls (even with only wet roads), we're on our way. I'm typing on my phone as Susan drives us thru Minden. DV conditions look tough, but we'll see if South Pass is do-able tomorrow. We'll visit Travertine tonite and may stay at lower Green Creek tonight. We've got chains, five days food (and some liquid sustenance) and a sense of adventure. It's gonna be alright.

Andy,
I guess if we don't hear from you, then South Pass is doable. I've never, in 25 years, been turned back. I have chains for both front and rear axles. Pic below is coming out South Pass with Park Superintendent Dick Martin way back in February 2001.
Gene

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 3 of 27.jpg
  • Photo 2 of 27.jpg
  • IMGP0664.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users