• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:24 PM

I currently have one house battery under the front settee in my FWC, but I am planning to upgrade to two matched batteries once this one dies, which isn't too far into the future.

I'm also planning an extensive interior remodel (dinnette, cabinet work, etc) and am wondering if I would be better served by having the camper batteries in the truck bed, forward of the wheel wells instead of inside the camper. Does anyone have usage recommendations for batteries outside the truck bed?

I keep the camper off the truck when not in use, and don't use turnbuckles/eyebolts, so there is plenty of room for two batteries on the passenger side, which is where I would put them to balance the camper weight (and driver weight).

Any opinions on mounting the batteries to the outside of the camper versus attaching to the truck bed?
FWC-Owning Human

#2 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Would it entail any extra complexity in removing the camper if they are mounted outside in the bed? Use the bed for other purposes, might not want to leave 2 batteries sitting in there. I have two mounted under the front cross bed in my Grandby, weight is up front. I built a separate area for them that is sealed and vented.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#3 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

Would it entail any extra complexity in removing the camper if they are mounted outside in the bed? Use the bed for other purposes, might not want to leave 2 batteries sitting in there. I have two mounted under the front cross bed in my Grandby, weight is up front. I built a separate area for them that is sealed and vented.

I don't think it would entail extra complexity because they wouldn't be "mounted" permanently, just when using the camper. It'll probably be used six to ten times per year so it won't be a constant burden to load and unload them.

What else could I put in those forward areas? The only other thing I could think about would be a water bladder.
FWC-Owning Human

#4 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

I have a full size battery mounted in the space between the camper wall and the truck bed on the right side. I had to enlarge the opening to fit the battery and make a new cover. There is adequate ventilation from the outside.

I suppose you could add another on the opposite side or in the rear well. It's pretty much wasted space except for storage use.

Notice, I didn't use battery terminals to attach the wires - just ring lugs and self drilling screws.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01252 (Large).JPG

Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#5 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

I have a full size battery mounted in the space between the camper wall and the truck bed on the right side. I had to enlarge the opening to fit the battery and make a new cover. There is adequate ventilation from the outside.

I suppose you could add another on the opposite side or in the rear well. It's pretty much wasted space except for storage use.

Notice, I didn't use battery terminals to attach the wires - just ring lugs and self drilling screws.

Either Ben or Marty told me that putting a hole in that board- the "flat" one that makes up the "step" between the bench and the wall, was a no-no structurally. Glad to see yours hasn't caused any problems.

Do you leave the camper mounted permanently or do you disconnect and reconnect the battery every time? Or do you simply pull the connected battery into the compartment? Does it slide around and pull on the wires or is the battery anchored somehow?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#6 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

Either Ben or Marty told me that putting a hole in that board- the "flat" one that makes up the "step" between the bench and the wall, was a no-no structurally. Glad to see yours hasn't caused any problems.

Do you leave the camper mounted permanently or do you disconnect and reconnect the battery every time? Or do you simply pull the connected battery into the compartment? Does it slide around and pull on the wires or is the battery anchored somehow?

The old Grandbys have an existing opening there on three corners. I just made it about 3" longer and 1" wider.
The battery sits on a standard battery tray that is bolted to the bed so it does not move at all.

The camper stays on all the time.

Also, mine does not use the "turnbuckle" mounting. Just four 3/8", grade 5 bolts with some 1/8" thick backing plates through the bed. Been well off-roaded for over five years.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#7 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

The old Grandbys have an existing opening there on three corners. I just made it about 3" longer and 1" wider.
The camper stays on all the time.

I would be loading and unloading the camper, and wouldn't be cutting the hole like you. Instead, I would place the batteries in the bolted-down trays prior to loading the camper. Then once loaded, do the electrical hookups which would consist of connecting one distribution block lead to each post.
FWC-Owning Human

#8 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

Well that would certainly work. You could also make a small access opening if needed for connecting the wires.

I used a metal tray with large fender washers bolted through the bed. The battery is held down with the usual J-bolts which is secure (same as under the hood mounting). Mine already has large openings with a thin wood cover (factory), so making it a bit larger was not a concern for me.

***Just a reminder*** all connections to the "+" side MUST be fused as close as possible to the battery and use 10AWG wire.

#9 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

***Just a reminder*** all connections to the "+" side MUST be fused as close as possible to the battery and use 10AWG wire.

Curious as to why it needs to be as close to the battery? So the wire doesn't fry? I'm doing the solar install on my toyhauler and the instructions said the same. For my application and length of cable run they suggested 8 awg, .50 a foot!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:24 AM

When I was setting up mine if I wasn't using the turn buckles I'd have put them in the space you are talking about in heart beat.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users