25 replies to this topic

#11 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:18 AM

I've had a FWC and a Jayco and I've done it both ways, in the camper, and in the truck bed.

Overall, I think I like the truck bed better. You don't have to vent the battery, and you free up space for storage inside the camper.

On the downside, lugging a battery into the bed is just one more thing to do(and remember) every time you set up.

It's a trade-off. I still have the Jayco and my battery is in the bed, forward of the wheel well on the drivers side. Work's great.
1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

#12 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:11 AM

Having the ATC shell model, I expect to use my battery only for lights. I converted to LED lighting. I really wanted to keep the battery out of the camper and in the bed of the truck, yet out of the way. I'm using this 18 amp/hr. battery. It fit very easily to the wall of my bed, forward of the wheel well. It is very light so securing was simple. I have three outside lights and the four bulbs on the inside. With the LED's, even if I was burning all seven at once (not likely), I'd only be using .52 amps/hr. This battery with all 7 lights on would last about 35 hours solid! Also, I do have reason to use the second battery for my radio and flashlight gear even when the camper is not on the truck. This battery may be smaller than what you can use but I like that it is attached to the bed wall, off the floor. A matching female connector is mounted just below the battery that fits the atc's male plug. I do use the turnbuckles but there is lots of clearance. A person could go a bit larger in batteries, mount one on each side and still use turnbuckles. Better pictures if you look on the "I ordered my Ocelot" thread in the ATC forum.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-1756-129298128129_thumb.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#13 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

[quote name='Barko1' date='05 January 2011 - 02:58 AM' timestamp='1294196338' post='45412']
Curious as to why it needs to be as close to the battery? So the wire doesn't fry? I'm doing the solar install on my toyhauler and the instructions said the same. For my application and length of cable run they suggested 8 awg, .50 a foot!

By placing the fuse as close to the power source (battery in this case) as possible you don't have as much unprotected wire with the potential to short to ground. The fuse will only protect wiring that is "downstream" of the fuse. If the wire from the battery to the fuse holder is shorted to ground it will be exposed to the full amperage that the battery can produce. Fried wiring and fire can result.
dsrtrat

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured, closer is better but I supposed a few inches isn't critical if you have adequate wiring.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#15 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured, closer is better but I supposed a few inches isn't critical if you have adequate wiring.

Yes. As the wire length gets longer, there are more possibilities for failure. Wires get pinched, chaffed and nicked. A dead short on a piece of wire will turn red hot along its whole length between the battery and the short.
A 3" length of red hot wire is better than 10'.

The common fusing method is to use an inline fuse holder connected directly to the battery and then spliced into the rest of the wire harness. Connections should be made with butt-splices - crimped, soldered and two layers of heat shrink tubing.

Also, every wire connected to the + side needs to be fused.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#16 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

My ATC came with the battery mounted under the seat. It was not vented that I can tell. When I got a new battery, the guy at Interstate told me that even sealed AGM batteries need to be vented because they will gas when charging. If so, why is the battery inside the camper? I guess it isn't enough gassing to be dangerous then? I'm thinking of mounting the new, group 27, battery inside on the floor under the front window instead of under the seat. Is that a bad idea?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#17 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

My ATC came with the battery mounted under the seat. It was not vented that I can tell. When I got a new battery, the guy at Interstate told me that even sealed AGM batteries need to be vented because they will gas when charging. If so, why is the battery inside the camper? I guess it isn't enough gassing to be dangerous then? I'm thinking of mounting the new, group 27, battery inside on the floor under the front window instead of under the seat. Is that a bad idea?

I think the sales dude might have been confused or he was talked about a normal "sealed" batteries which isn't an AGM. Most car starting batteries are "sealed". All that means is you can't maintenance them by adding water back in if needed. They still can/will off gas.

AGMs are build to not need venting, that is why they're used in the camper. Pretty standard practice. As long as that group 27 you are referring to is AGM I don't see any issue in moving it around inside the camper.

From windsun.com:

Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#18 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

I think the sales dude might have been confused or he was talked about a normal "sealed" batteries which isn't an AGM. Most car starting batteries are "sealed". All that means is you can't maintenance them by adding water back in if needed. They still can/will off gas.

AGMs are build to not need venting, that is why they're used in the camper. Pretty standard practice. As long as that group 27 you are referring to is AGM I don't see any issue in moving it around inside the camper.

Thanks pods. Think I may have bought the wrong battery. I got one of these:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-SLA1185%28Other+Products%29.aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk~SearchGroup|sla1185|3|%2cNy~True%2cNtpc~Disabled%2cNs~product+Type|101|1|&Title=12V+100AH+SLA+POST%2fFLAG+HANDLE

(I think this is it too: http://www.apexbatte...-batteries.html)

Did I screw up?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#19 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

Thanks pods. Think I may have bought the wrong battery. I got one of these:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-SLA1185%28Other+Products%29.aspx?dsNavigation=Ntk~SearchGroup|sla1185|3|%2cNy~True%2cNtpc~Disabled%2cNs~product+Type|101|1|&Title=12V+100AH+SLA+POST%2fFLAG+HANDLE

(I think this is it too: http://www.apexbatte...-batteries.html)

Did I screw up?

I'll jump in here.

I think you want this one.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/content/product_info/specs/dcm0100.pdf
This is the 100 amp hr version of the original ATC factory battery

The one you have is valve regulated and will outgas if the pressure within the battery rises. It also may not be a deep cycle battery as it isn't listed as one. It looks like it is used in UPS systems where there is usually a trickle charge and not too many discharge cycles.

Dsrtrat

#20 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:37 AM

brett13,

As Dstrat pointed out it looks like you got steered wrong on your selection. Did you just recently buy it? If so what did you ask the salesman for? Considering how expensive that battery lists for (don't know if that is what you paid) I'd be definitely wanting an actual AGM battery since you're in that price ballpark. Maybe you can hurry back in and explain the a manager you didn't get what you wanted and see about an exchange?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users