51 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

Anyone use Garmin Topo U.S. 24 k software? I ordered it and it arrived today but the more I've been reading about it the more I think its not going to do what I wanted. Still in the plastic package and I don't want to open it if I'm just going to turn around and sell it.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:32 AM

Anyone use Garmin Topo U.S. 24 k software?

Greetings Craig. My wife and i've been using the 24K topo West 2dvd set and it has all the detail i've needed. Now i can not compare to other software out there, but i've been in situations here in oregon where the 24K _trail_ ended and we kept on driving...on what appeared to be a well used and weathered logging or fire trail. So there seems to be some discrepency at times between the map and reality. I will use the Base Camp maping feature on my desktop or laptop pre-trip and get waypoints and such figured out, then upload them to our 60csx before heading out.

cheers,
thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

No, I ended up going with delorme and find it to be pretty good, esp. with the $30/yr membership to download aerial shots and more detailed maps of the areas I'm going.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

I have a Garmin, but didn't want to pay the big bucks for their topo maps. I get mine for a donation at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Maybe have a look there for what's available before you take off the shrink wrap?

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:42 AM

I did look there and didn't find anything I liked. However, the california topo looks really screwy. Might be it didn't download properly. Which one did you get?

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:11 PM

Craig,

I bought those and returned them. I opened one and downloaded and campaired with the older mapsource I have. The 24K did not show roads where I needed to go but the lack of detail older map does. I told Amazon that it is false advertising on Garmin and they refunded my money.

I thought this would replace paper 24K maps....It will not!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

Looking at the sample maps and hearing from others I'm thinking I'll try and return it. Gotta be something out there that works.

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

This may not be what you're looking for, since it doesn't load onto your GPS -- it requires a computer...but I've been very happy with the National Geographic TOPO series of state maps. I've bought a set for each of the 11 western-US states. I've loaded them onto my laptop computer, which I always bring along when truck-camping. I can connect my GPS to the laptop and it will show my current position and track a route on the TOPO map on the laptop, and I can transfer waypoints and routes between GPS and TOPO on the laptop, but the TOPO maps themselves can't be transferred to the GPS.
If I need a truly portable version of a map I can print one out from the software...as long as I've brought my portable printer along or do it at home before I leave.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#9 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

Anyone use Garmin Topo U.S. 24 k software? I ordered it and it arrived today but the more I've been reading about it the more I think its not going to do what I wanted. Still in the plastic package and I don't want to open it if I'm just going to turn around and sell it.

I have the Garmin Topo 24K software and used it for a while.

A much better software package, and the one I use exclusively now is the National Geographic Topo version 4.5.0. It is a much better package. I don't even bother buying USGS topo maps anymore. I just print off what I need with the software. The maps printed with this software are exactly the same as the 7.5 minute maps that you purchase from the USGS.

This software is more expensive as you have to purchase each state separately, but you get what you pay for. It interfaces perfectly with several gps units that I own.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#10 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:25 AM

I did look there and didn't find anything I liked. However, the california topo looks really screwy. Might be it didn't download properly. Which one did you get?

I downloaded the CA topo to have a look. Yes, it appears to be incomplete, alright. Other western state topos are much better. I'm very happy with the detail in the NM, AZ, ID maps.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users