• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Just a little pinch in the wallet, but worth the pain in the long run.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#22 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Yes, quieter....and more variable. With the remote you can dial it in from 10% to 100% manually....or you can set a temperature and the fan will speed up/slow down to try to hold that temp. "Low" speed on the standard model is about 35% power from matching the sounds each fan makes. When it's 15F outside and you want to move JUST A BIT of air yer out of luck with the standard model. It's just too much airflow....and the heater will run all night trying to keep up.

Don't forget there is also the modification to add a resistor to slow the fan and selector switch to turn the base model fan into a 6 speed fan. But for $60 price differential it may be worthwhile to just pony up for the nicer model if you can swing it. The mod is good if you happen to already have that fan.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#23 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

Got the details on the mod?

I'm handy with a soldering iron seeing as how I have six of them...

PS, we are mostly "fair" weather campers.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#24 lostnot

lostnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTraveler

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Just a little twist. I installed a vent cover over the fantastic fan.

Good; Can leave the vent open in hot climates. Keeps the camper cooler in hot weather. Cna leave it and not
worry about rain.
Wet weather and you can leave the fan cracked a little to dry out the wet canvas.
Cold weather leave the fan cracked aliitle to keep musty smell at bay.

Bad; Increased height of unit. One time I drove in an under ground parking lot and thought I had enough clearance. I had to let the air out of my air bags to clear the structure. But on the positive it protects the solar panel.

#25 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

Got the details on the mod?

No need for soldering, just some crimping and wiring.

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1329/

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#26 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

I must be the only one who is satisfied with my three speed fan the way it is. :unsure:

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#27 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

I must be the only one who is satisfied with my three speed fan the way it is. :unsure:

Craig, at least you have a fan...Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#28 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:30 AM

I like the low-low setting offered by the above modification at times, worth the couple bucks to me.

#29 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

If it's cold outside, why do you need to turn the fan on at all? With that big a temperature difference (inside-outside), natural convection (hot-air rising) will cause plenty of air to vent out without the fan.

It's called condensation, marc. That stuff that most folks fight on the liner of their FWC after a good night's sleep...or after making the mornin' joe-java. The super-low speeds of the 6600 fan allow JUST enough air movement that...at least here in the beautiful Rockies...it keeps the condensation down to almost nil...even with 3 people and 4 dogs crammed in there.

Then there's the white noise. I have a hard time falling asleep when it's totally quiet.....so the myriad of adjustable speeds offers a variety of sones to pick from to lull me into noddyland. Because the 6600 in my Hawk is mounted aft in the camper...the remote allows me to adjust speeds without getting out of bed.

And last but not least...there's partytime to consider... snicker... (if yer nice we'll park upwind from you)

thanks for letting me vent on the topic. Be safe, all.

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

It's called condensation, marc.

Ummm...the name's Mark

BTW: Partytime?...I thought that stuff was for "medicinal use" Posted Image
Either way, no thanks, I'll park upwind...not a fan of second-hand smoke of any type Posted Image)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users