Photo

Dinette seat height and top-down camper use.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:44 AM

How many of you sit or eat inside your camper with the top down? I'm finalizing interior dimensions for my build-out and my proposed design uses a dinette seat height that will prevent sitting upright or eating inside with the top down.

I don't expect a ton of "stealth" camping but we do pull over to eat, check maps, etc, while we're on the road. In my current arrangement this is done in the cab or on the tailgate. With the camper installed, will I regret not having enough head room to eat at the dinette without popping the top?
'07 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD '11 ATC Ocelot shell

#2 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:37 AM

We sat in our FWC with the top down. Actually, we sort of hunched over --- wouldn't want to do it much longer than it takes to gobble lunch. Our current camper IS high enough to sit in with the lid down. Way better. Road side stops are a snap.
1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

We can sit in our Hawk on the bench, or even take a nap with the bench made into a bed while in stealth mode. However, the sink is almost unusable and we do have to hunch over instead of standing. If I had to design from scratch, I think I would lower the sink counter. And have lights that weren't touching the folded fabric top, so I could have a light on if I wanted it. B)

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

My camper has the dinette option and the seat height is the same height as the highest sides.....so that when the lower bed is used.....it is 9 inches wider. If you make the seats too short....you won't have much of a lower bed.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

I'm actually in mine a fair amount with the top down, mainly while solo though. Basically if I'm not stopped for the night or don't need to cook I'll usually leave the top down. So all the breaks, a nap during the day, ducking out of the weather, etc. I leave the top down (esp. if the weather sucks, no sense getting the side liner wet and then folding it up again if I don't need to). When I'm strictly traveling to places and not actually wandering yet I've crashed in rest stops numerous times to sleep and prefer to have the top down (less attention). Also in cold weather if you're in there to stay warm it does a MUCH better job holding heat with the top down.

So in my mind/build I'll give it strong consideration but its still not mandatory if it screws over something else I really want.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Taking a nap is the only thing I use mine for with the top down. Not to say that couldn't change in the future.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

How many of you sit or eat inside your camper with the top down? I'm finalizing interior dimensions for my build-out and my proposed design uses a dinette seat height that will prevent sitting upright or eating inside with the top down.

I don't expect a ton of "stealth" camping but we do pull over to eat, check maps, etc, while we're on the road. In my current arrangement this is done in the cab or on the tailgate. With the camper installed, will I regret not having enough head room to eat at the dinette without popping the top?

I have a ATC bobcat with dinette .We eat outside when ever possible,but we enjoy the dinette arrangement. In down mode head room 48"floor to top ,floor to counter top 37", cushion to top 30".For a short stop sitting to eat a bite doesn't seem to be a problem for us.If you wanted more space at a quick stop you could half pop the top.As far as lights being used with the top down get LEDs no heat,little power usage,and brighter light.This is of course my opinion and how I use my rig. Others of course do different things.Just some thoughts. I'll say one of the many things that led me to but an ACT over a FWC was the height of the counter top,it's funny how just a few more inches in height seem uncomfortable but thats what struck me about the FWC models.

Good luck in your search.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

How tall are you HikeMT? I think this is the main determining factor of using the camper with the top down.

I am 6'4" and have little room to move in a FWC with the top down. If you are in the 5' foot range that would make a big difference.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

And better yet if you're Danny DeVito.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

I'm 6' for reference (mostly in my legs though).

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users