21 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:05 AM

My specs and dimensions are almost complete so i made a video to serve as project overview:

Reference to previous thread:
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4194/

Google sketchup (design has changed a bit):

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:05 AM

Cool vid, helps convey thoughts.

On your action packer I'd just think about having the back wedge in place and then just tie down the front, save the hassle of needing the internal access port.

I'd say you have tons of space for that water tank too, no worries. Lots of different dimensions but a basic 21gal poly tank at rvpartsoutlet is 39"x16"x8" for instance. You can get ones that are more 10"x10", 10"x14", etc. which would be shorter in length and so on.

Water heater and external shower build in huh? Does your current rig have them and do you use them often to dedicate the space? I've never dealt with one but was thinking one of those zodi on demands brought along on trips its needed could be a good versatile deally. No first hand experience either way.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:22 AM

I have the water heater and have never used it. However with the outside shower placed adjacent to the propane tank outside I'll be able to setup a table and cook and do the dishes right there. It might be nice to have some hot water on tap for cooking in cleaning.

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

I was still dwelling on the action packer thing, any reason you can't just build the compartment snug to it all around and then not worry about having to tie down the thing? Aside from maybe a front brace if you're worried about the strength of your compartment door and latch.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

One thing I like is to be able to look outside. See animals, check the weather, make sure you aren't TPing the camper, stuff like that. Any chance of fitting a small window on the back between the rack rails?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Great video DD and would also like to see your thoughts concerning vents and windows.
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#7 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

DD,

Is this going to be a pop-up roof design?

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Great video DD and would also like to see your thoughts concerning vents and windows.

I'll have to get back to you on some of those details.

DD,

Is this going to be a pop-up roof design?

Yes.

#9 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

I think it looks good! It should work well for you. There are so many sources for water tanks in different dimensions, a 20 gallon would fit under there very easily.
With some careful planning, I think you'll fit a furnace, water heater, batteries, propane and everything you need in that front cabinet too. Using a horizontally mounted propane tank would probably help dealing with sidewall space.

Do you already have someone in mind who is going to build the camper? Or are you not ready to spill the beans on that yet? ;)

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

One thing I like is to be able to look outside. See animals, check the weather, make sure you aren't TPing the camper, stuff like that. Any chance of fitting a small window on the back between the rack rails?

Yeah maybe I'd have to think about whether i want to lose cabinet space for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users