• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

I make long trips with my FWC and one off the things I run out of first is water. If there was a way to do it....you should consider a larger thank than 20 gallons.

You have a 3/4 ton truck and it could handle the weight.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#12 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

I make long trips with my FWC and one off the things I run out of first is water. If there was a way to do it....you should consider a larger thank than 20 gallons.

Yeah i run out of water too. That AT fuel can on the back is going to be for water. That way I have the extra 5 gallons and I have an external container i can use to fill the main tank using a siphon.

#13 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

Unless you know the majority of your travels are going to require more water it would see more reasonable to me to do a normal use sized tank and then make storage for supplemental water jugs (or removable tanks) that could double as storage for when its not required.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#14 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Yeah i run out of water too. That AT fuel can on the back is going to be for water. That way I have the extra 5 gallons and I have an external container i can use to fill the main tank using a siphon.

I am currently doing that with 2 spare 5-gallon water containers. It's a pain. I know if I were designing my own camper doubling the water storage would be priority 1. I would also have some permanent grey water storage too, rather than the temporary one that comes with the FWC campers.

I understand that different things are important to different folks.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

I am currently doing that with 2 spare 5-gallon water containers. It's a pain. I know if I were designing my own camper doubling the water storage would be priority 1. I would also have some permanent grey water storage too, rather than the temporary one that comes with the FWC campers.

I understand that different things are important to different folks.

Can you expand a bit on the pain part as I'm having trouble picturing the issue but want to take all things into consideration. In my case I was likely going a bit smaller than DD with 10-15gal of fresh water in the main tank and then accessory jugs. Assuming an easy refill method is put into place to refill the main tank then you'd only need to take the time at whatever interval you burn 10gal of water (few days?) to load the tank back up. Seems like a small core at a spread out interval to me. What has your experience been?

I do intend to have a grey water tank w/ a bypass to outside the camper on this one so I don't have to do the hose/bucket thing in places where I can't dump to the ground. Probably will use a portable jug though so I can carry it to somewhere to dump it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#16 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

Seems like a small core at a spread out interval to me. What has your experience been?

Maybe to a lot of folks it isn't a big deal.

I carry two 5's on my trailer (see pic) to add to the main supply. They have to be locked so some bozo doesn't run off with them. They need to be cleaned....they need to be replaced every so many years....etc. I stand on my step stool and fill my main tank by lifting the 5's onto my shoulder. I'm tired of all that crap.

How much nicer it would be.....to just fill up an adequately sized main tank....and not have to deal with all of the other hassles!

As for strapping 5 gallon cans on the back of a camper.....even with reinforcing....you are just asking for trouble. I beat my rig pretty hard.....and ended up with a cracked rear frame member above my door (see pic)....with absolutely NO weight on it at all. So, IMO it is not a good idea to be hanging heavy items off the frame of the camper. Just going to be trouble down the road.

One more point. I use my vehicle as a sort of "emergency" vehicle....and as such it will be a base for my GF and I in the case of a natural or man made catastrophe. I change all the water every 30 days.....and keep it fresh. The more capacity the better in that scenario.

Attached Thumbnails

• cracks.JPG
  • water_cans2.JPG

#17 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

If they were stored inside and could be more easily transferred without having to hold them to pour would you still feel it a chore? I was leaning towards some interior storage space that could either hold more water jugs for the long trips or other gear most of the time. So for short trips I wouldn't loose out on the space dedicated to a larger main tank. I also may look into an internal fill port so the jug could just sit on the counter while it drained into the main tank.

#18 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

If they were stored inside and could be more easily transferred without having to hold them to pour would you still feel it a chore?

It sounds like that is the way you want to design it....so that should be fine for you.

I personally hate heavy things like water jugs (or gas jugs, ice chests, etc.) bouncing around in my camper while I'm negotiating some bumpy terrain. I've tried it in the past (before mounting them on my trailer) and they just beat everything around them to a pulp.

To me, water is the most important commodities we pack with us. There are folks every year that perish due to lack of water after becoming stuck. It might be days before anyone finds you....or you get yourself out of the jam yourself.
You can go without food for some time but not water. I hate always feeling like I'm right on the edge for water storage. Some of my trips last for as short as a couple of days....others as long as 5 weeks. I would prefer to always have plenty of water available. I believe in planning for worst case scenario.

I thought I read where the XP Camper has 70 gallons of water storage. Now that's more like it! Of course, I'd be very pleased to just double my current 20 gallon capacity. I've been thinking about mounting some side bed tanks for water just for that reason. There is a lot of unused room between my camper and my truck bed....it would be nice to leverage some of it for water storage (both fresh and grey). I just need to find the right tanks.

#19 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

I personally hate heavy things like water jugs (or gas jugs, ice chests, etc.) bouncing around in my camper while I'm negotiating some bumpy terrain.

In the spot was planned for the container to lock it into position I see it as no different than a big heavy water tank. But yeah to each their own. I do appreciate your insight on what you've experienced.

I thought I read where the XP Camper has 70 gallons of water storage. Now that's more like it! Of course, I'd be very pleased to just double my current 20 gallon capacity.

I find on most of my jaunts currently, which are shorter solo trips, that I hardly use more than a couple gallons. That is why I'm hesitant to dedicate space to a really large main tank, I can always retrofit later as needed though. Plus since I am still rolling a half ton and I don't need to be hauling 50gal (400+) of water around, but that's just me.

I've been thinking about mounting some side bed tanks for water just for that reason. There is a lot of unused room between my camper and my truck bed....it would be nice to leverage some of it for water storage (both fresh and grey). I just need to find the right tanks.

There are TONS of various sized poly tanks out there, what dims are you trying to work with?

#20 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:27 AM

There are TONS of various sized poly tanks out there, what dims are you trying to work with?

I just need to measure the sides of the beds and see what's available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users