#1 rock and roll

rock and roll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

As you probably know, my fiancee and I are traveling along the PanAm south during 2011. This board was instrumental in my pre-trip preparations. I thought I would repay with my experience from the road.

To summarize Baja was outstanding (and cheap!). I'm only 2 months into a 12 month trip and am already scheming ways to get back to Baja. Here are our top 4 spots after spending 2 weeks traveling down south:

#1 Bahia Concepcion (Playa Santispac) - $5/night. Gorgeous, dispersed camping right at the water's edge. This area has bathrooms and supposedly hot showers (we never found the showers, although we didn't try too hard). If you can make it to this place on a Saturday night you're in for a treat. There is a restaurant/bar (Ana's) on the beach and all the campers sure know how to party!

Posted Image

#2 San Ignacio - we stayed at Rice & Beans RV park for the electrical hook ups, but we recommend staying closer to town at Camping Petates (right by the lagoon). From there you can walk to town. Pay a visit to the lady who runs Casa Leree (a blue colored hotel near the town plaza) and she'll give you free hiking maps for the area.

#3 Coyote Cal's (Ejido Erendira) - this is a gringo run hostel/camping site, $10/person. They've got a nice crowd during the weekend, it's a great/remote area to spend a few days after crossing the border. 8 miles of dirt/gravel road to get there, but it's not bad at all. You can rent surfboards/mountain bikes/etc and you can't beat the view from your campsite, check out the website: http://www.coyotecals.com/

Posted Image

#4 Playa Telcote (Near La Paz) - Free dispersed camping on the beach. Picture's worth a thousand words:

Posted Image

Hope this helps you in your planning and adventure seeking,

2003 Tundra TRD 4WD & a 2007 Palomino Bronco 800 to be driven down the PanAm during 2011.

Read about the Hardware Here.

#2 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:16 AM

Thanks R&R. This will be very handy info if/when I ever get down there. Please keep posting about your adventure.

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Those are some of my favorites as well and if you go to Ana's be sure to get her fresh baked pastry and bread. She has that brick oven out back.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

You baja guys are killing me. If I could just figure out how to get two weeks off I'd be in.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

Nice photos, you are making me homesick for Baja. Would love me some playa Santispac about right now.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:41 AM

You baja guys are killing me. If I could just figure out how to get two weeks off I'd be in.

+1 But make it 3 weeks to accommodate the drive down to the boarder first...

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

I have a passport, used one time. Seems a downright shame. Otoh, with my looming foreclosure my finances are actually getting better.

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

Otoh, with my looming foreclosure my finances are actually getting better.

Bummer situation? Or strategically putting an end to an anchor of a house due to the market flop?

I can feel you if its the latter, we're sitting here in our 2 bedroom "starter house" that we planned to be in for about 5yrs and then move on since the future family would out grow it. Well we've been here 4yrs, have 1 kid now and are adding a second, however we're looking at a $70k deficit in home value to loan valve. We never refinanced anything, this is just the purchase loan. We can pay fine we've just out grown this home and coming up with that kind of cash to offset the value deficit is no easy task (and seemingly downright foolish since they banks/gov. isn't holding other accountable). So we'll have to deal with this one way or another down the road here. Not looking forward to it and don't feel good about it but not really sure what the heck people in our position are supposed to do.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#9 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

Santispac...Ahhh

Did our honeymoon week there in 1990, even had a Valco boat and a Yamaha 225 along.

That place must be timeless.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:12 AM

A strategic walk away implies you could still afford the payments. Not my case. Given my age and the property value staying wouldn't make sense even if I could afford it. Plus, I have a deal I can't turn down. Move in with my brother who needs a roomie to make his payments and for far less than renting. I will miss my three car garage though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users