30 replies to this topic

#21 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

Ditto what Sunman said. My most cherished memories of Baja are from times when we were camping in remote areas. I bought a whole shark from a fisherman on Punta Conception for $2. He only asked for $1 but I felt guilty and tipped him. We used the timbers from a wrecked boat for our fire on the Vizcaino Coast. Explore the remote areas. You will experience whatever it is that draws people back to Baja again and again.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#22 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement, you all. Today I was in La Paz and got to just hang out on the coast in town. Very nice. i could get hooked on this weather very quickly. Not one of the limited locals I talked with seemed to understand the why of going remote. So sad. The well-to-do think I should just fly in, get a nice fancy hotel and enjoy life. Yes, this is fun, but not really my style. I am sure a lot of you would agree. No one really could give me any good info down here that I talked with. Perhaps I just have not found the right folks. The right folks really do seem to live north of the border and come down here when they can. i guess the less locals know about it the better.

I also found some friends who have beach front property and would give me permission to use their land and the associated beach. There is not much out there and no nearby houses or resorts. This is on the west side near Todos Santos. Now, that is a cool little town. Will have to stop there more in the future. We did get stopped at a checkpoint there, but with family in the car, they didn't even want to search us. nice. I am sure this would not be the case with a camper.

I just don't think I am ready to go down here alone. I would like to at least have some safety in numbers, like a few campers if not more.

On a plus note, on the road just north of Todos Sandos I saw a black pickup with what looked like an older grandby on the back. Makes me wish I was out on the road in my camper. Especially with the nice sunset and the crashing waves. I've just a taste of it and not really with the camper and I can see how some are hooked. If money didn't matter I could see getting lost down here easy. Work does seem way over rated.

Back to cabo, perhaps the beach tomorrow. At least the beer is cold. maybe some interested parties could start to organize a group trip to some remote Baja locals?????

dave in Baja.

#23 Jamesiam

Jamesiam

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationStateline Nevada

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

I loved the #3 Coyote Cal's "Time Lapse Photo," looks great

#24 sdmarkus

sdmarkus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

We used to frequent Puntas Cabras which is right down the road from Erendira if you continue a few miles past coyote cals. Primitive beach camping with good waves(on the right swell) and epic fishing. Haven't been down in years but would love to give it another shot one day soon. Sounds like there is enough interest in a mini-rally?! With only a 3-4 hour drive down, makes for a great extended weekend trip. Take us home Sunman :D

#25 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

I am lining up with everyone else here to go down there. I can't wait to be debt free and time free and then be able to take several months, load up the wife and a goodly supply of toys and make the loop.

Do you feel safe traveling without a caravan? I know that is a redundant question these days, but one that does weigh on my mind a little.

Love this thread!

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#26 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

I just returned, tanned and relaxed, from 3 weeks on Playa Coyote. The weather was great and made even better by the occasional report of rain back home.

A typical day consisted of getting up when the vendor came by with breakfast tamales, then a paddle to the island, cervesa, a little reading, cervesa, swim, cervesa, paddle to Bertha's for a ballena and lunch, more reading, cervesa, horse shoes, cervesa, walk to Boney's for cervesas and margaritas, then back to camp for dinner, campfire and cocktails. It's a hell of a life but someone has to do it.

Keep up the stories of the banditos, hijackings, ripoffs and generally nasty people. The beaches are less crowded when the wimps stay north of the border.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1808.jpg
  • 100_1822.jpg

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#27 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

You are my hero Dick. How long til I retire again?

SDmarkus, that is something to think about this summer.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#28 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

A typical day consisted of getting up when the vendor came by with breakfast tamales, then a paddle to the island, cervesa, a little reading, cervesa, swim, cervesa, paddle to Bertha's for a ballena and lunch, more reading, cervesa, horse shoes, cervesa, walk to Boney's for cervesas and margaritas, then back to camp for dinner, campfire and cocktails. It's a hell of a life but someone has to do it.

Dick, you're killing me. To quote the WtW T-shirt - "Work, Curse of the Camping Class." I've got thirteen long years to go.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#29 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Theres definitely a double standard. Homeowners are expected to play by the rules while business pretty much gets to do whatever it wants.

I sure wish I was smart enough to have sold my house at the top of the market. Would have made a nice bit of money.

i saw a video where the head of the national banking association was bemoaning this trend....then it was pointed out that they did the same thing and walked away from their home offices!!!!

what bs!!!!!
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#30 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

Does anyone remember when Gonzaga looked like this?
Copy of IMG_0002.jpg

Or for that matter when I looked like this?
Copy of IMG_0003.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users